J.D. Robb discussion

Leverage in Death (In Death, #47)
This topic is about Leverage in Death
In Death Books > Leverage in Death (Spoiler Zone)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 13759 comments Mod
Lieutenant Eve Dallas puzzles over a bizarre suicide bombing in a Wall St. office building in the latest in the #1 New York Times bestselling series…

For the airline executives finalizing a merger that would make news in the business world, the nine a.m. meeting would be a major milestone. But after marketing VP Paul Rogan walked into the plush conference room, strapped with explosives, the headlines told of death and destruction instead. The NYPSD’s Eve Dallas confirms that Rogan was cruelly coerced by two masked men holding his family hostage. His motive was saving his wife and daughter—but what was the motive of the masked men?

Despite the chaos and bad publicity, blowing up one meeting isn’t going to put the brakes on the merger. All it’s accomplished is shattering a lot of innocent lives. Now, with the help of her billionaire husband Roarke, Eve must untangle the reason for an inexplicable act of terror, look at suspects inside and outside both corporations, and determine whether the root of this crime lies in simple sabotage, or something far more complex and twisted.

First Chapter Excerpt

Veda  (moonchild63) | 89 comments Just got the Nora's News the official countdown Begins for me now!

I had hoped for little taste, but only the exerpt! (which has sustained me up to this ↗😋)

I feel like a kid at Christmas looking @ my 🎁, yet I just can't open it!

YET 😎

Who else is as Excited as me 😍 & 'Counting' down😵😌

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2559 comments I'm excited before each book. I don't read the excerpts though. It makes me crazy because i want more. I only read excerpts if I don't know the author or, if I think I might not like the book. I never worry that I won't like an in death book.

Veda  (moonchild63) | 89 comments Sharon wrote: "I'm excited before each book. I don't read the excerpts though. It makes me crazy because i want more. I only read excerpts if I don't know the author or, if I think I might not like the book. I ne..."

"Excepts" of In Death

Gotta have um or the WAITING would 'immobilize' me! LOL

message 5: by Mel (new) - added it

Mel (saekoshiro) Oo so excited! Need my Eve & Roarke FIX!

Veda  (moonchild63) | 89 comments Its HERE Leverage in Death (In Death, #47) by J.D. Robb , I will be READING, Now!

Ooooh 😍😵😌😏

Yes, it’s release day!

Open discussion will begin on September 15. Please use the spoiler feature in the meantime.

message 8: by Mel (new) - added it

Mel (saekoshiro) Gaaahhhh! Of course I am broke just in time :( serious tears over here. Gonna have to wait until Friday! I need me a free copy XD

Belles | 156 comments Candy Thief for the win! He really outdid himself this time.

Barbara "Cookie" Serfaty Williams (goodreadscomcookiew1801) | 1386 comments Just started read but I was going crazy try to get the audio and ebook to work together. Finally got it to work about 9 o'clock this morning.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 12 comments Just picked up my copy on Audible!! Woo-hoo!!

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2559 comments I just realized this is on my Kindle. For some reason I thought the release day is 9/14.

message 13: by Mara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 633 comments Listening to it now!!!!!

message 14: by Mel (new) - added it

Mel (saekoshiro) Belles wrote: "Candy Thief for the win! He really outdid himself this time."

spoiler! LOL :)

Lynnette Hartwig (69mustanglady) | 40 comments I just finished it and it was outstanding. As I bought the audiobook alongside my kindle book I’m now off to listen to it.

Barbara "Cookie" Serfaty Williams (goodreadscomcookiew1801) | 1386 comments I bought both the audio and the ebook and had s fight linking them finished it last night love love it. I know one of the killer at the sometimes Eve knew. It's was a fun read and great mystery. Can wait for open talks.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2559 comments I love this one. Robb is on a roll.

Kavita Kumar-Karthik (booklovingcrab) | 8 comments Oooohh baby.. My Kindle is locked and loaded with this one !! I have been priming up myself to maintain the Eve flow by re-reading my favorites in this series.. This weekend has just become more promising !!

message 19: by Mdy (new)

Mdy | 212 comments I just finished listening to it. Loved it. I think it may just become one of my favorites. 👏

Phrynne | 323 comments Definitely a good one:) I really enjoyed it.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2559 comments I'm now in Eve's world. I just purchased an Alexa smart bulb. My first test was "light on 10%." I just need to buy a Roarke and I'll be happy.

SB*needs low angst books* Sharon wrote: "I'm now in Eve's world. I just purchased an Alexa smart bulb. My first test was "light on 10%." I just need to buy a Roarke and I'll be happy."

ROL!!! I love that.

message 23: by Mel (new) - added it

Mel (saekoshiro) Not to take a morbid turn, but I find myself unable to jump in just yet. I was very excited, had expected myself to finish this past weekend since I finally got it on Friday, but was trying to finish 2 other books first. I succeeded in finishing one of the others, but life got in the way.
Several hours ago I found out my good friend was on her death bead after a 2 year battle with breast cancer, she passed sometime in this last hour.
I am so lost, so I am reaching to my books, and to the community for distraction. I find myself updating here that I will not be able to reading about death for a little while as I mourn. I still look forward to it though, and will sometime soon.

Oh, Mel, I’m so sorry. That’s just awful. My heart goes out to you.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2559 comments So sorry Mel.

message 26: by Mel (new) - added it

Mel (saekoshiro) Thank y'all <3 , sorry for being such a downer. Still excited for the book!

Belles | 156 comments Mel, I'm very sorry for your loss.

SB*needs low angst books* Mel wrote: "Not to take a morbid turn, but I find myself unable to jump in just yet. I was very excited, had expected myself to finish this past weekend since I finally got it on Friday, but was trying to fini..."

Mel I am so sorry to hear this and send love to you and all those dealing with this loss too.

message 29: by Jules (new) - added it

Jules James | 202 comments Mel, I'm sorry for your loss.

Barbara "Cookie" Serfaty Williams (goodreadscomcookiew1801) | 1386 comments Mel , so sorry for you. Losing a best friend is hard my heart goes out to you as will as my prayers. Remember the good time you had with her.

message 31: by Mel (new) - added it

Mel (saekoshiro) <3 <3 you guys are being more supportive than some of the people I know in person. Thank you all <3

Veda  (moonchild63) | 89 comments My deepest sympathy on your lose, I was going to agree that "life" is trying to keep my devouring this book to a minimum & perhaps that was a good thing when I read the rest, I offer a poem as a small, yet earnest comfort:

Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep
By Mary Elizabeth Frye

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there; I did not die.

Source: https://www.familyfriendpoems.com/poe...

May God bless & comfort you & those who L💞VED your 'friend!'

message 33: by Mel (new) - added it

Mel (saekoshiro) Veda wrote: "My deepest sympathy on your lose, I was going to agree that "life" is trying to keep my devouring this book to a minimum & perhaps that was a good thing when I read the rest, I offer a poem as a sm..."

beautiful, thank you <3

message 34: by Mdy (new)

Mdy | 212 comments Mel, I am so sorry for your loss.

Paula Adams (goodreadscompadams57) | 838 comments Mel, I am so, so sorry on the loss of your close friend. I lost my best friend, since we were babies, a few years ago to cancer. I still can't believe she is gone but then you accept that she is in a better place with no pain. I will always have my memories and I talk about her fondly quite often. You will too.

message 36: by Mel (new) - added it

Mel (saekoshiro) That is definitely the best way to feel for sure. Thank you all <3

This is now a spoiler zone. Feel free to discuss the book openly!

message 38: by Mel (new) - added it

Mel (saekoshiro) Hey all, just wanted to to say thank you again for all the support! I still have not read the book so I am backing out of the discussion until I have. Peace be with you all, and enjoy our beloved In Death series!! Much love to all <3 <3

Veda  (moonchild63) | 89 comments All, I gotta say is "Ninja Woman," & I wish I had a man to build me a home dojo & put a virtual Master at my disposal!

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2559 comments Eve pulled a Roarke and bought pizza for the gang. He is rubbing off on her more and more

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2559 comments I love the scene when Eve is agonizing over telling Peabody she can't go to the Oscars. It is bothering her because Peabody fantasized about it and the opportunity means so much to her.

Eve would never think twice about cancelling leave in her early lieutenant days. How she's changed! Then when Roarke says "I'll be your Peabody." Major swoon time here.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2559 comments Poor Roarke, Eve still has a hard time accepting Roarke's word when he wants to stand up for an old acquaintance. "How do you live with a man such as me?" That thought must hurt him.

message 43: by Sharon (last edited Sep 24, 2018 05:57PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2559 comments It feels like this nightmare is worse than many of the recent ones because Roarke & Eve had the argument.

When Roarke goes back in the shower and leans his head against the wall, it is tough and heartbreaking.

Veda  (moonchild63) | 89 comments Sharon wrote: "It feels like this nightmare is worse than many of the recent ones because Roarke & Eve had the argument.

When Roarke goes back in the shower and leans his head against the wall is tough and hear..."

Yes & yes to all the above!

Her growth is great to see esp considering where it comes from & yet 'triggers' will always Exist! Its what makes JD Robb one of my favorite authors - she gets the physiology of what it is to be a

Survivor - as well as

what comes with loving one!

message 45: by Mdy (new)

Mdy | 212 comments Veda wrote: "Sharon wrote: "It feels like this nightmare is worse than many of the recent ones because Roarke & Eve had the argument.

When Roarke goes back in the shower and leans his head against the wall is..."

Very nicely said!

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2559 comments OMG! The Icove Agenda is the big winner at the Oscars. Way to go Nadine.

SB*needs low angst books* Okay may be unpopular opinion alert but I had a problem with how Eve handled the argument and I get her not trusting which I don't have a problem with due to her being a cop. At the same time, for her to act like people can't change even as so many that surround her and even herself have changed is where I had my problem with her. I do think she really hurt Roarke and that was sad. I just feel like this time it felt like one of those I am right type of things and only she knows best when it comes to things. I am sorry but that whole part really took down my enjoyment of this one, Maybe on re-listening I can feel different but this one took me back to my difficulties with her character.

Eve is hardworking, caring, smart, and strong even as for me she can be difficult for no reason sometimes, hurtful, and hypocritical. I can respect her even as I don't always agree with her ways or her opinions but this one just highlighted some of what I don't like even as it had great moments of why I do like her.

I really enjoyed the awards show part which was really cool.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2559 comments SB*needs low angst books* wrote: "Okay may be unpopular opinion alert but I had a problem with how Eve handled the argument and I get her not trusting which I don't have a problem with due to her being a cop. At the same time, for ..."

I didn't like the way she treated Roarke either. In my opinion, Eve gets that way when she is frustrated with her case. It is brutal to walk onto a scene and have body parts thrown all over the place not to mention the torture of the family left at home. This guy was her only lead and Roarke told her forget him.

SB*needs low angst books* Sharon wrote: "SB*needs low angst books* wrote: "Okay may be unpopular opinion alert but I had a problem with how Eve handled the argument and I get her not trusting which I don't have a problem with due to her b..."

This is the thing I agree with you 100%. I don't think he told her to forget him but he told her assumption he could be in it can be wrong due to knowing his background. She didn't have to trust the guy but at the same time she wanted to grill him but why. She wouldn't even know if Roarke said nothing but he did and even told her he wasn't into that type of crime. I do get her frustration but she to me just was way out of line and never truly apologized to him either. It does bother me when she is out of line but doesn't apologize truly when she is wrong. But I do appreciate when she does or at least recognize it but here to me she didn't truly do either.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2559 comments SB*needs low angst books* wrote: "Sharon wrote: "SB*needs low angst books* wrote: "Okay may be unpopular opinion alert but I had a problem with how Eve handled the argument and I get her not trusting which I don't have a problem wi..."

Sorry my laptop did an unexpected reboot while I was typing my last post. Instead of forget, I was trying to correct it to he wasn't her man.

To me, those reactions are real. I worked in a police department and there is a reason why their divorce rate is so high. I believe she did try to apologize and Roarke recognized that he knows her heart even if her head gets in the way sometimes.

Anyway, I get where you are coming from, I went back and read that argument a couple times. For me, this is one of those scenes that we all see differently. There are times when Eve drives me crazy and other times when I want to slap Roarke but to me that is the way relationships are sometimes. We don't always apologize the way we should because we see our side clearly and the other side is blurry for a time.

« previous 1