Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Murder on the Ile Sordou: 5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimberly (last edited Jun 18, 2018 12:27PM) (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Murder on the Île Sordou (Verlaque and Bonnet, #4) by M.L. Longworth

Murder on the Ile Sordou, M.L. Longworth

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Judge Antoine Verlaque, law professor Marine Bonnet, & her friend Sylvie (whom I dislike) are vacationing at a once popular revitalized seaside hotel, Locanda Sordou, off the coast of Marseilles.

As the book begins we are introduced the guests & the small hotel staff. The guests include; Bill & Shirley Hobbes, an American couple; Eric Monnier, a retired professor & poet; Clement Viale & his wife, a school friend of Verlaque & hotel investor; Alain Denis, an egotistical-over-the-hill actor; his long suffering wife, Emmanuelle; and her son Brice.

The hard-working staff include: Maxime & Cat-Cat Le Bon, owners of the renovated hotel; Nikki, office, desk, concierge; Marie-Therese, shy waitress, hostess, & kitchen girl; Emile, the nouveau chef who uses fresh ingredients found & grown on the island; Hugo, handyman; Mme Poux, the housekeeper; Serge, the bartender; and Prosper, the light-keeper & purveyor of fresh game,whose family have lived on the island for generations.

The tension between the Denis family is palpable, making for discomfort among the guests. After arguing w/ Alain, Brice runs out of the hotel and disappears. When a single shot is heard all are assured it is Prosper who is out hunting rabbits... but the next morning Alain is found dead on the beach from a single gunshot to the head.

Verlaque immediately calls for Inspector Bruno Paulik who joins the investigation & questioning of the guests all of whom, as eventually revealed, have something in common w/ the murdered man.

The story was very interesting and engaging, I could see myself among the guests, drinking in the bar, eating the lushly described meals, sunning myself on the beach... I was entranced by the richness of description, which is what I love about this series. Odd thing is, the romance of this series reminds me of the 1920's not the current modern era in which it takes place.

message 2: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2674 comments At least this one made up for ‘Death in the Vines’, huh? Sounds like a cool cast of characters

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments KateNZ wrote: "At least this one made up for ‘Death in the Vines’, huh? Sounds like a cool cast of characters"

I stayed up until 3:00 am reading this....