Biography, Autobiography, Memoir discussion

A Chance In The World

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Orlopp (sharonorlopp) | 21 comments Steve Pemberton is an AMAZING individual. He endured horrific abuse as a child in the foster care system. Through the help of a neighbor, he began reading books which helped him see hope and possibilities of a different future.

His memoir, A Chance In The World, was also made into a movie that released last month. I highly recommend both!

The video clip below shares how Steve hooked readers with the inciting incident (abandonment by his mother) and then he kept the action moving forward at a riveting pace.

What memoirs stand out for you that grabbed you immediately and you couldn't put the book down?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dHUv...

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 2: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 3113 comments Mod
Sharon wrote: "Steve Pemberton is an AMAZING individual. He endured horrific abuse as a child in the foster care system. Through the help of a neighbor, he began reading books which helped him see hope and possib..."

Even This I Get to Experience by Norman Lear was the last memoir I read that I couldn't put down.

Even This I Get to Experience by Norman Lear

message 3: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Orlopp (sharonorlopp) | 21 comments Koren wrote: "Sharon wrote: "Steve Pemberton is an AMAZING individual. He endured horrific abuse as a child in the foster care system. Through the help of a neighbor, he began reading books which helped him see ..."

Loved the description of Norman Lear's book---what a life! It is now on my "to read" list---and it tops the list! Thanks!

message 4: by Julie (new)

Julie (julielill) | 1403 comments Koren wrote: "Sharon wrote: "Steve Pemberton is an AMAZING individual. He endured horrific abuse as a child in the foster care system. Through the help of a neighbor, he began reading books which helped him see ..."

Lear's book is one I highly recommend. Fascinating!

message 5: by Koren (last edited Jun 20, 2018 01:36PM) (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 3113 comments Mod
Sharon wrote: "Koren wrote: "Sharon wrote: "Steve Pemberton is an AMAZING individual. He endured horrific abuse as a child in the foster care system. Through the help of a neighbor, he began reading books which h..."

You will love this book if you are old enough to remember the television shows he wrote and produced: All In The Family, The Jefferson, Maude, Sanford and Son, One Day At A Time. They just dont make comedy today as intelligent as these old shows.