Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Gunmetal Magic (World of Kate Daniels, #6 & #6.5; Andrea Nash, #1, Kate Daniels, #5.5)
This topic is about Gunmetal Magic
Previous BRs - Authors; A - D > Andrews, Ilona--Gunmetal Magic informal buddy read starts June 20, 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 31614 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss Gunmetal Magic by Ilona Andrews.

Synopsis
After eviction from the Knights of Merciful Aid, Andrea is a wreck. She starts work for best pal PI Kate Daniels. Shapeshifters under Raphael Medrano — Clan Bouda male alpha, Andrea’s ex-lover — die suddenly at a dig site. With Raphael, she seeks killer in deep dark Atlanta. Her feelings for him may take a back seat to saving the world…
Bonus: Kate Daniels novella "Magic Gifts"

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

res

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

res

Victoria | 1132 comments I've started!

Andrea is awesome :)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2241 comments I'll start tomorrow evening. It is still the 19th here.

Victoria | 1132 comments It's actually not even 5 am on the 20th here, but I'm awake and bored so I thought I'd go ahead and start :)

Victoria | 1132 comments Ch. 1-4
(view spoiler)

Victoria | 1132 comments ch. 8
(view spoiler)

ch.9 (view spoiler)

ch. 10 (view spoiler)

I read this last year and do remember a good amount of what happened, but forget exactly how the investigation played out so it's good I'm re-reading it - also, my memory is atrocious

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2241 comments Victoria - was anyone besides us going to do this BR? We are on the same team, so it won't count for points unless someone else joins.

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2241 comments Victoria wrote: "Ch. 1-4
[spoilers removed]"

Yes! (view spoiler)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2241 comments I think this is my first re-read since it was released. Which is good as I'm being constantly surprised. :)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2241 comments Victoria wrote: "ch. 8
[spoilers removed]."

ch 8 (view spoiler)

ch 9 (view spoiler)

ch 10 (view spoiler)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2241 comments ch 11
(view spoiler)

Victoria | 1132 comments Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "Victoria - was anyone besides us going to do this BR? We are on the same team, so it won't count for points unless someone else joins."

Deanna originally said she'd read it so hopefully she and others will join!

I haven't read much yet since I last posted since I was finally motivated to read Lilac Girls - I should not be struggling as much as I am with that book. But will switch back to this soon to give myself a break from wwii depression.

Victoria | 1132 comments Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "Victoria wrote: "ch. 8
[spoilers removed]."

ch 8 [spoilers removed]

ch 9 [spoilers removed]

ch 10 [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 16: by Diane ~Firefly~ (last edited Jun 21, 2018 10:01AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2241 comments Victoria wrote: "Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "Victoria wrote: "ch. 8
[spoilers removed]."

ch 8 [spoilers removed]

ch 9 [spoilers removed]

ch 10 [spoilers removed]"."

The more I think about it, the more I want a Roman series. There is so much backstory there with his parents, the whole witch and volhv lore - it would be awesome!

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 1360 comments Starting this today. I couldn’t resist. Team Luna Lovegood :-)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2241 comments Nikk the Sapphired Book Dragon wrote: "Starting this today. I couldn’t resist. Team Luna Lovegood :-)"

Yay! This is my first re-read since it came out and I think I'm going to end up increasing the rating, as I'm liking it a whole lot more than I remembered.

Deanna | 2962 comments Victoria wrote: "Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "Victoria - was anyone besides us going to do this BR? We are on the same team, so it won't count for points unless someone else joins."

Deanna originally said she'd read it..."

I made it! I've been helping with vacation bible school all week and too much of a headache to read on my kindle yesterday. :(

Finished chapters 1 - 5 today.

Andrea - (view spoiler)

Raphael - (view spoiler)

The Glass Menagerie - (view spoiler)

The conversation with Kate made much more sense in this book than it did in Magic Gifts.

Deanna | 2962 comments Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "Victoria wrote: "Ch. 1-4
[spoilers removed]"

Yes! although it was a bit concerning she hesitated before saving the people from the glass monster. I also like Ascanio a lot better so far in this b..."

I agree about Ascanio. (view spoiler)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2241 comments Deanna wrote: "Victoria wrote: "Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "Victoria - was anyone besides us going to do this BR? We are on the same team, so it won't count for points unless someone else joins."

Deanna originally s..."

Glad you are feeling better.

Andrea - I'm glad she got her own book to give her a chance to shine. She's been a great secondary character, but she could totally carry a series.

message 22: by Deanna (last edited Jun 21, 2018 06:59PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deanna | 2962 comments Victoria wrote: "ch. 8
[spoilers removed]

ch.9 weremongoose in action! lol

ch. 10 “People walking aro..."

Raphael & Andrea - (view spoiler)

Barabas - (view spoiler)

Andrea and the Pack - (view spoiler)

Deanna | 2962 comments Up through chapter 10 for the night.

Besides my comments above there's also...

Roman - (view spoiler)

The apartment - (view spoiler)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2241 comments ch 12

(view spoiler)

Victoria | 1132 comments Glad to see you both stopping by!

I took a short break to finish Lilac Girls and now that I have I'm ready to dive back into this one!

Deanna | 2962 comments Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "ch 11
[spoilers removed]"

I was surprised Aunt B allowed that. (view spoiler)

Deanna | 2962 comments Finished!

Carpet - (view spoiler)

Anapa - (view spoiler)

Raphael's plan - (view spoiler)

So glad I decided to read this!

Victoria | 1132 comments Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "ch 12

..."

(view spoiler)

Victoria | 1132 comments Deanna wrote: "Finished!

Carpet - [spoilers removed]

Anapa - [spoilers removed]

Raphael's plan - [spoilers removed]

So glad I decided to read this!"

(view spoiler)

Victoria | 1132 comments I'm really glad I re-read this. I love Andrea's character and so happy that the authors use these novellas to give the secondary characters a chance to shine without Kate and Curran stealing the show. The only problem is that now I expect novellas/spin-offs for all my favorite characters!

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2241 comments Deanna wrote: "Finished!

I agree, I'm adding a star in my review as this is way better than I remembered.

Anapa (view spoiler)

Raphael (view spoiler)

I still say Roman deserves his own book (if not a series).

Victoria | 1132 comments And the more you say it the more I want a Roman book/series!

Deanna | 2962 comments Victoria wrote: "And the more you say it the more I want a Roman book/series!"

I agree. I'd love a Roman books or series!

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4947 comments I'll be joining in on this one as soon as I can finish Magic Gifts, so hopefully some of you will stick around to chat with me :D

Deanna | 2962 comments Steven wrote: "I'll be joining in on this one as soon as I can finish Magic Gifts, so hopefully some of you will stick around to chat with me :D"

I'm happy to chat with you when you are ready. I'll keep an eye on my notifications folder.

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4947 comments Deanna wrote: "Steven wrote: "I'll be joining in on this one as soon as I can finish Magic Gifts, so hopefully some of you will stick around to chat with me :D"

I'm happy to chat with you when you are ready. I'l..."

Thanks, Deanna! :)

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4947 comments I started yesterday and am up to 40%, because, well, it's so good. I actually really think the change to Andrea's perspective is refreshing, and I find the case really intriguing. :)

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4947 comments I want a Roman book/series as well, and I think I've heard rumors that they were considering it!?

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4947 comments I also really love Barabas. It's nice as a gay man to see a strong gay character in a book series I love. :) Smart, strong, composed!

Deanna | 2962 comments Steven wrote: "I started yesterday and am up to 40%, because, well, it's so good. I actually really think the change to Andrea's perspective is refreshing, and I find the case really intriguing. :)"

I was happy to find that I enjoyed this as much as the Kate and Curran books. Most of the the time, I find that not to be the case. Yes, I agree. It's easy to get sucked in and realize that you read a lot farther than intended.

Deanna | 2962 comments Steven wrote: "I want a Roman book/series as well, and I think I've heard rumors that they were considering it!?"

I would like this as well. I'm not as excited about the new book with Hugh, although I will probably read it. Roman is a much more interesting character to me.

Deanna | 2962 comments Steven wrote: "I also really love Barabas. It's nice as a gay man to see a strong gay character in a book series I love. :) Smart, strong, composed!"

He is definitely awesome, and I think seriously underestimated by the pack.

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4947 comments I’ve never cared much for Hugh, so we will see how his book grabs me... maybe it will, maybe it won’t... but it’s still Ilona so I’m sure it’ll be good!

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4947 comments OMG I love Roman:

(view spoiler)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2241 comments Steven wrote: "I’ve never cared much for Hugh, so we will see how his book grabs me... maybe it will, maybe it won’t... but it’s still Ilona so I’m sure it’ll be good!"

I'm just over 50% through Hugh's book and having trouble remembering why I hated him. They did it again!

Deanna | 2962 comments Steven wrote: "OMG I love Roman:

"You will not pass!" Roman thundered.
Great. Now he had decided he was Gandalf."

The snarky comments they come up with are one of the reasons I love these books.

message 47: by Ora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ora (oeamis) Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "Deanna wrote: "Finished!

I agree, I'm adding a star in my review as ..."

I really would love Roman to get his own book.

message 48: by Ora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ora (oeamis) Deanna wrote: "Victoria wrote: "Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "Victoria - was anyone besides us going to do this BR? We are on the same team, so it won't count for points unless someone else joins."

Deanna originally s..."

I was angry with Raphael. I get that he was hurt with what Andrea said, however that was low.

message 49: by Ora (last edited Jul 17, 2018 02:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ora (oeamis) With rereading this series, It seemed that Raphael really didn't do a lot of courting the way shifters do the first time. Yeah he did some very sweet things for Andrea, but other than breaking into her house and made that beautiful tree he didn't do anything like he is doing now. I think I like this single mindedness of Raphael with making sure Andrea knows that she is his.

message 50: by Ora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ora (oeamis) I love Raphael and Andrea!

Never saw Doolittle get so angry. He is usually so calm and firm but never violent.

I was happy to see Ascanio having a bigger part in this book. He is one of my favorite shifters. I love seeing him grow up.

I really hope Roman makes an appearance in Magic Triumphs. I love that he sees worshiping a dark god as just the family business.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Gunmetal Magic (other topics)
Magic Stars (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ilona Andrews (other topics)