Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

I'll Give You the Sun
This topic is about I'll Give You the Sun
Previous BRs - Authors; M - P > Nelson, Jandy- I'll Give You the Sun informal buddy read starts June 22, 2018

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 31620 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson.

Synopsis
“We were all heading for each other on a collision course, no matter what. Maybe some people are just meant to be in the same story.”

At first, Jude and her twin brother Noah, are inseparable. Noah draws constantly and is falling in love with the charismatic boy next door, while daredevil Jude wears red-red lipstick, cliff-dives, and does all the talking for both of them.

Years later, they are barely speaking. Something has happened to change the twins in different yet equally devastating ways . . . but then Jude meets an intriguing, irresistible boy and a mysterious new mentor.

The early years are Noah’s to tell; the later years are Jude’s. But they each have only half the story, and if they can only find their way back to one another, they’ll have a chance to remake their world.

This radiant, award-winning novel from the acclaimed author of The Sky Is Everywhere will leave you breathless and teary and laughing—often all at once.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jun 19, 2018 06:12PM) (new) - added it

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

res

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments I'm looking forward to this one!

JanEyre9 Me too, I've had my eye on it for awhile. So excited to finally read it!

I will be on a short trip from the 23-26th and won't have access to a computer, just my phone, which means I can't hide spoilers. Since it's just us are you ok if I openly post thoughts as long as I know you're at that point also?

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments I don't have a problem with that!

Or would it be better for you to wait until you come back from your trip? I'm good either way :)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1701 comments I just started this one so I’ll join! I’m on Team Hermione Granger. :)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments We wont' be starting for a couple days but the look forward to chatting with you about it!

JanEyre9 I'm going to start reading it over the weekend but might not post too much until I'm back on Tuesday. I just remembered I'll have an ipad with me so I can post spoilers! I am really excited to read this, I'm trying to finish up a few other books so I can focus more on this.

I'm glad you joined in Vicki!

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Haven't been able to read too much of this one yet but am at 15% (after 1st Judy Age 16) -

(view spoiler)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Slowing getting thru this :) Hating how these chapters are SOOOOO long & not broken up more.

Thru 64% - 2nd Jude Age 16 -

(view spoiler)

JanEyre9 8% in - Just finished Noah age 13. This book is not what I expected, and I mean that in a good way. This writing is so quirky, so dynamic, so artistic - I love it so far. It's weird, so weird, but I am hooked.

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments JanEyre9 wrote: "8% in - Just finished Noah age 13. This book is not what I expected, and I mean that in a good way. This writing is so quirky, so dynamic, so artistic - I love it so far. It's weird, so weird, but ..."

Yea it took a little while to get used to the random quotes here and there, and the voices of the characters, but there's something about it that makes you keep reading.

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Finished yesterday -

(view spoiler)

Now how to rate?

JanEyre9 Cathy M. wrote: "Slowing getting thru this :) Hating how these chapters are SOOOOO long & not broken up more.

Loved the addition of Brian... until that stupid game messed everything ..."

I agree with you about the length of the chapters. I like shorter stretches so if I need a break it's cleaner to leave it off for a bit.

JanEyre9 Vicki wrote: "I just started this one so I’ll join! I’m on Team Hermione Granger. :)"

How do you like it so far Vicki?

JanEyre9 Oh. My. Heart! This book is intense! I am a little over 60% of the way through - just finished the second section of Jude, age 16. (view spoiler)

JanEyre9 Cathy M. wrote: "Slowing getting thru this :) Hating how these chapters are SOOOOO long & not broken up more.

Yes! All of this! Brian was a great character, I wonder if he'll resurface.

JanEyre9 Noah 13 1/2- 14 (view spoiler)

JanEyre9 This book was quite the experience. I loved it, but some parts were a bit over the top so I had to go with 4 stars instead of 5.

(view spoiler)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments JanEyre9 wrote: "Noah 13 1/2- 14 ..."

(view spoiler)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments JanEyre9 wrote: "This book was quite the experience. I loved it, but some parts were a bit over the top so I had to go with 4 stars instead of 5.

[spoilers removed]"

Oh how everything comes full circle! (view spoiler)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1701 comments JanEyre9 wrote: "Vicki wrote: "I just started this one so I’ll join! I’m on Team Hermione Granger. :)"

How do you like it so far Vicki?"

I loved this one! I'm sorry I didn't see your message until now. I totally forgot we had this buddy read until someone reminded me. LOL Ugh...that horrible forgetfulness disease!

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1701 comments Cathy M. wrote: "Haven't been able to read too much of this one yet but am at 15% (after 1st Judy Age 16) -

Interesting that this book is written in 2 different timelines (starts with them at 13, then 3 years lat..."

I was also literally sickened (view spoiler)

Grandma (view spoiler)

message 25: by Vicki (last edited Jul 04, 2018 09:49AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1701 comments Cathy M. wrote: "Slowing getting thru this :) Hating how these chapters are SOOOOO long & not broken up more.

I must say that it disturbed me that Jude (view spoiler)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1701 comments I was so angry with Jude when I found out that she (view spoiler)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1701 comments Overall I adored this book! I gave it 4 stars but contemplated 5. Had I read the entire physical copy instead of listened to a lot it on the road while driving, I probably would have connected even more. Either way, it's a really good book!

JanEyre9 Vicki I felt similarly about my rating. I almost went with 5 stars, the book was so beautiful and I was completely hooked on the characters, but at the end it was more of a 4 star read. I want to check out more by this author!

JanEyre9 Vicki wrote: "I was so angry with Jude when I found out that she [spoilers removed]"

That was the worst! That betrayal was brutal, I couldn't believe that (view spoiler)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

I'll Give You the Sun (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jandy Nelson (other topics)