The Sword and Laser discussion

Help me find a book from my childhood?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Travis (new)

Travis Hathcock | 4 comments Ok, I have been trying to find the title of a book I loved when I was a kid. I don’t remember the title but I thought maybe someone here would have a memory of it. It was a Choose your own adventure style book, but I think it was an “off brand” one. In the story you were a male Elf exploring an abandoned magic castle. I remember you having a few basic magic abilities that would help you out of some situations. The most memorable section was a ballroom of some sort with giant dancing spiders that could mesmerize you and trap you there if you were not careful.

I know that is not much to go off but if anyone has any memory of a book like this I would love to hear what you remember.

message 3: by Travis (new)

Travis Hathcock | 4 comments Holy crap that is it! Thank you so much! This was driving me crazy!

message 4: by Alan (new)

Alan Denham (alandenham) | 143 comments Nice to see this system works. Now someone please help me . . .
The story I am looking for was only a short, in an anthology. The basic premise is a community of 'Holy Women' - at Glastonbury, I think. They were weaponsmiths, producing almost magic swords which were tempered with a small amount of blood, usually produced by one of the women making a cut on their own arm.
Then we have the young novice, left on her own to perform this ritual for her first time. She can't bring herself to make the cut - but fortunately that night her first menstruation occurs, so she uses that blood instead.
Result . . . Excalibur.
Anyone?

message 5: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4222 comments No idea, but if this group fails you, you can always check out the What's the Name of That Book??? group.

message 6: by Alan (last edited Jun 19, 2018 01:39AM) (new)

Alan Denham (alandenham) | 143 comments terpkristin wrote: "No idea, but if this group fails you, you can always check out the What's the Name of That Book??? group."
Thanks - might try that. I know I posted a similar request somewhere else on Goodreads about four years ago, but got no response. Such is life.
Perhaps I should have clarified - we are talking about quite a long time ago - I read this in the mid 60s, and it might not have been new even then!

message 7: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4222 comments Be advised that you need to bump in that group if you want it to be seen/not closed, every 3 months or so. But they get a lot of eyeballs in that group (and new eyeballs) so it might help.

message 8: by Serendi (new)

Serendi | 848 comments Alan wrote: "Nice to see this system works. Now someone please help me . . .
The story I am looking for was only a short, in an anthology. The basic premise is a community of 'Holy Women' - at Glastonbury, I th..."

I've read something like it. I'm not sure, but I think it might have been in one of Marion Zimmer Bradley's Sword and Sorceress anthologies.

Or not. It's been a long time.

message 9: by Alan (new)

Alan Denham (alandenham) | 143 comments Serendi wrote: "...might have been in one of Marion Zimmer Bradley's Sword and Sorceress anthologies..."
It was certainly in the right genre for that series - but they were mostly 1980s/90s, and the story I am looking for was something I read at school, so pre-1968. Later reprint is possible, of course, but MZB only did a limited amount of that. Thanks for the suggestion, I will try to dig a bit deeper in that area.

message 10: by Sweta (new)

Sweta Agrawal (swetarr) | 13 comments Okay, let's try another one: a book I read in the 90s and it came from my middle school library, so probably YA. It featured some kind of glass that the main character, a girl, would look through, and it would reveal the "true" nature of things. Using it, she finds out that a friend/boy is actually a faun who plays a flute??? That's all I can remember. It is definitely NOT the amber spyglass, though I feel like maybe it had a similar name.

i like this game, I'm definitely going to have to check out the group posted above!

message 11: by IpseVerus (new)

IpseVerus | 1 comments I too am looking for a book I read at least partly in 1996 that I got from the school library in Eighth year. The book followed an adolescent girl who in the beginning drowns but is revived. I vaguely recall the name Alice. After being resuscitated she finds herself haunted by a darkness out of the corner of her eye.

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say I've been wondering about this books title for over ten years, so I fingers crossed.