Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Widow's House (The Dagger and the Coin, #4)
This topic is about The Widow's House
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Widow's House [Jan 15, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7557 comments Mod
This is a Buddy Read for The Widow's House by Daniel Abraham starting January 15, 2018.
The Widow's House (The Dagger and the Coin, #4) by Daniel Abraham

message 2: by Miche (new)

Miche | 3175 comments In!

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Spot.

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Is anyone still reading this?

message 5: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Abraham | 19 comments Laura wrote: "Is anyone still reading this?"

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

message 6: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
There's no way Mayim has bailed. Miche has been in a slump but my guess is she'll finish once she's recovered.

It's a great series and ending. I still like LPQ of the two but they were both excellent series.

message 7: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

I’m such a bad Buddy to read with - I devoured it immediately after the 3rd one. I bet Mayim finished the series already haha. Is Terry still reading them too?

... I’m planning to start the fifth book next week. 😁

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments You guys (or girls to be precise) are BAD! Why would you go on and read it after you finished the 3rd one when I was told to wait and read it after Mayim finishes the Raksura!! (*wailing in distress*)

Now I'm gonna msg Terry and see if he also waited like me and I'll probably pester you Niki to butt in here with comments too.

Btw: HOLY SHIT! Was that THE Daniel Abraham on our thread!!! (*fangirling here!!*)

message 9: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura wrote: "You guys (or girls to be precise) are BAD! Why would you go on and read it after you finished the 3rd one when I was told to wait and read it after Mayim finishes the Raksura!! (*wailing in distres..."

I was only kidding about Mayim because she’d read the third book so quickly. I’m sure if she arranged for you to wait until she was done with Raksura, that’s what she’s still planning. I’ll totally chime in. :)

Also, major fangirl moment also. 😍

Terry | 270 comments I was still holding on it waiting for the group. I'm ready to go whenever. Sounds like Niki enjoyed it :)

message 11: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

Terry wrote: "I was still holding on it waiting for the group. I'm ready to go whenever. Sounds like Niki enjoyed it :)"

😁

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments When do you want to start it Terry?

Terry | 270 comments Laura wrote: "When do you want to start it Terry?"

I'm really good to start any day, but maybe we should wait a few days to see if Mayim is available to join also?

message 14: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments I PMed Mayim yesterday but got no reply still. She may not be online much.
Let's give it a few days and see.

Terry | 270 comments Laura wrote: "I PMed Mayim yesterday but got no reply still. She may not be online much.
Let's give it a few days and see."

Works for me.

Terry | 270 comments What do you think, Laura, start on it today?

message 17: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Tomorrow would be good for me Terry. I'd like to finish an open book tonight. :)

Mayim is not joining so it's just the two of us. Let me know what pace you want to set and I'll follow.

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Just a quick note (Laura I hope you got my message) that I am halfway through the book and loving it as much as the ones before.

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments oh my God, it was Mr Abraham here....

message 20: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments No lovely, I didn't get that message. But it's ok.
And yes! It was him! And I was fangirling like a teenager. :D

Terry | 270 comments Glad you're enjoying it, too, Mayim. I'll start on it tomorrow, Laura. My hope is that I can get it done by Feb 1 as I have a couple of other reads starting, but I'm not sure I can get through it that fast.

message 22: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments That's a good plan Terry. I'll keep the pace. :)

Terry | 270 comments Sounds good! I'm looking forward to picking back up with (view spoiler)

message 24: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Yes! Me too! :)

message 25: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

Terry wrote: "Sounds good! I'm looking forward to picking back up with [spoilers removed]"

!!!

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments there is a scene with (view spoiler)

Basically, what I wanted to say, Laura, is that my2019 started with two huge international projects (one with 15 partners scattered across the world) that consumed my life WHOLE and didn't even burp. I have only managed to finish Malazan #8 which was I started on January 1 yesterday. I am 6 books behind my reading schedule and I literally struggle to find time to wash my hair.

Terry | 270 comments Mayim wrote: "there is a scene with [spoilers removed]

Basically, what I wanted to say, Laura, is that my2019 started with two huge international projects (one with 15 partners scattered across the world) that ..."

Oh wow, Mayim, sounds like you're facing some real life monsters there. Good luck, and I hope you slay them both! And finishing a Malazan book with all of that going on is an accomplishment all it's own.

message 28: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oh yikes! Yeah I hope things slow down for you. <3

message 29: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

For the record, I am planning to read the final book with y’all.

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "For the record, I am planning to read the final book with y’all."

Good to know, Niki! (and thank you!)

Terry | 270 comments I didn’t get as much of a start this weekend as I wanted, so I’m just about 18% in. I’m continuing to enjoy the banter between Master Kit and Marcus. (view spoiler)

Terry | 270 comments Well, my plan of finishing by Feb 1 has fallen a little short, lol. I'm about 60% or so in now. It's good, just like the others! I was, however, surprised by how quickly (view spoiler)

message 33: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments I'm sorry I bailed on you Terry but I didn't get time to start this after all. I may get to finish it before the 15th but am not sure.
I have a few things to solve on the home front and reading has sort of fallen to the last place.

I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Terry | 270 comments Laura wrote: "I'm sorry I bailed on you Terry but I didn't get time to start this after all. I may get to finish it before the 15th but am not sure.
I have a few things to solve on the home front and reading has..."

No worries, Laura. Sorry to hear, but I get it.

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Terry wrote: "Well, my plan of finishing by Feb 1 has fallen a little short, lol. I'm about 60% or so in now. It's good, just like the others! I was, however, surprised by how quickly [spoilers removed]"

I was expecting this in some way (view spoiler)

Terry | 270 comments Good point, and I did wonder (view spoiler)

Oh, and good question (view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments My theory is that Drakkis (view spoiler)

Terry | 270 comments Mayim wrote: "My theory is that Drakkis [spoilers removed]"

Wow, very powerful theory. That could explain more of the outcome as well. I'm much more curious now!

Terry | 270 comments I finished it today. Very good! Ready for the finale to see where this all goes.

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments I'm excited too. Glad you liked it, Terry!

message 41: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

Any thoughts on when we should tackle the last one? :) I’m okay waiting for the scheduled date (or beyond), but I have it available early also so I thought I would ask.

Terry | 270 comments I’m open to start any time.

message 43: by Mayim (last edited Feb 05, 2019 11:58AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Just let me know and I'll hop on as I have the book ready.

Terry | 270 comments Niki, Mayim and I are starting it either today or tomorrow.

message 45: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

Terry wrote: "Niki, Mayim and I are starting it either today or tomorrow."

Sounds like a plan - I’ll be here. :)

message 46: by Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ (last edited Feb 07, 2019 10:23AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 1338 comments Happy Reading guys 😊💕

I could still cry though! 😫. I never got to start the rereads so I could read with some of my favorite people on here 😫.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 1338 comments Maybe I should just say hell with it and start reread at this book! Who cares what I forgot 😫🤣😂

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments You do that, this series is great and so easy to enjoy this great storytelling!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 1338 comments I have read it before! I love it as far as I remember. I read it not long ago. Sigh. Can’t remember stuff

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments He is a good writer so the recap is there. You won't be lost.

« previous 1