Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Spider's War (The Dagger and the Coin, #5)
This topic is about The Spider's War
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Spider's War [Feb 15, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 3 stars

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7557 comments Mod
This is a Buddy Read for The Spider's War by Daniel Abraham starting February 15, 2019.
The Spider's War (The Dagger and the Coin, #5) by Daniel Abraham

message 2: by Miche (new)

Miche | 3178 comments In!

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Just to let you know I am starting today.

message 5: by Terry (last edited Feb 07, 2019 09:41AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Terry | 270 comments Sounds good, Mayim. I should be able to start on it tomorrow.

message 6: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sweet :)

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments I reached intermission one and I have to say that Geder redefines al my preconceptions regarding scary monsters. He really does.

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments I am so sad I am nearly done already. :(

Terry | 270 comments It must be good if you're rolling through so quickly, Mayim. I've started but not made it more than about 15%. I definitely agree on Geder, too, although I still find myself feeling sympathetic in between times. I think of him as a clueless tool, I guess.

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments I had a good reading day yesterday, that's why. I keep thinking that thigs go to smoothly (but maybe I am still in for a surprise.

Terry | 270 comments You were due for a reading day like that, right? I need to have one of those too!

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments I am still 5 books behind my reading schedule. But I finished this series with real pleasure even if I am somewhat disappointed.

message 15: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 3 stars

I didn’t have a lot of time this weekend to read, so I’m only about 10% in, but I’m really appreciating the convergence of characters.

Terry | 270 comments I agree, Niki. I’m only up to about 20% now.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 1338 comments I’m glad y’all are enjoying it 💕

Terry | 270 comments Thanks, Melissa!

message 19: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 3 stars

Oh good, I’m glad I’m not out on a raft lol.

message 20: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 3 stars

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ wrote: "I’m glad y’all are enjoying it 💕"

Thank you! :)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 1338 comments You’re welcome 😊

Terry | 270 comments I'm on a slow boat with this so far - too darn much work! I'm at the 1/3rd point. I'm hoping the the parts with Inys pick up some. I'm not sure about his dynamic with the others right now.

message 23: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 3 stars

I’m about 30% in now as well. (view spoiler)

Terry | 270 comments Couldn’t agree more with what you said! I feel the same right now.

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Niki I am really curious what you'll think about the way things were dealt with. It certainly was not what I had expected.

message 26: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terry wrote: "Couldn’t agree more with what you said! I feel the same right now."

I’m at about the halfway mark now, and it is showing signs of momentum... 🤞

message 27: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mayim wrote: "Niki I am really curious what you'll think about the way things were dealt with. It certainly was not what I had expected."

I’m super curious to see what you mean. I remember LPQ taking a direction that was unexpected yet totally satisfying. The fact that this one is a bit atypical also actually has me more excited to finish it.

message 28: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 3 stars

I’m at about 75%. Something struck me at about the halfway point (view spoiler)

So, my checkout period for this book expires tomorrow. If I can, I’m probably going to power through and finish it so I’m not left hanging for a month or so haha.

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments This is one of my peeves against this book: I too think Mater Kit pivotal to the whole story and I really wish we had his POV.

Terry | 270 comments Sounds good, Niki. I’ll probably finish in a few more days. Hope you enjoy!

Terry | 270 comments I’m up to 70% now. Unfortunately, I’ve lost my momentum...

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments you do not like the convergence?

Terry | 270 comments I think it’s more just the pacing. It’s still moving a little slow. I’m undecided on the story itself though.

Terry | 270 comments I finished today. I’m undecided on my final rating, however I did enjoy the read. I think I feel (view spoiler)
But overall, very solid and I’m glad I read.

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments I am very very glad to have read this series. I think it is one of the better reads. However, this book is merely a 3-star. For various reasons, I plan to put down in a review as soon as I get my life back.

Terry | 270 comments I look forward to your review Mayim.

message 37: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terry wrote: "I finished today. I’m undecided on my final rating, however I did enjoy the read. I think I feel a little bit underwhelmed maybe...maybe a little disappointed with how it resolved, I guess. Despit..."

I agree with literally all the things about the story you mentioned. (view spoiler)

message 38: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mayim wrote: "I am very very glad to have read this series. I think it is one of the better reads. However, this book is merely a 3-star. For various reasons, I plan to put down in a review as soon as I get my l..."

Looking forward to reading your review. :) How are things going? Are you just super busy atm?

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Totally, just got back to GR after all that madness called work calmed down a bit.

I agree with everything you wrote, especially on Inys (view spoiler)