Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The King's Blood (The Dagger and the Coin, #2)
This topic is about The King's Blood
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > King's Blood [Nov 15, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7557 comments Mod
This is a Buddy Read for The King's Blood by Daniel Abraham starting November 15, 2018.
The King's Blood (The Dagger and the Coin, #2) by Daniel Abraham

message 3: by Miche (new)

Miche | 3178 comments In!

Terry | 270 comments I just got started on this today.

message 5: by Ronish (new)

Ronish Baxter (ronish_baxter) | 2 comments in

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments I am so sorry Terry, I might be a couple of days late as I want to read Malazan first after I am done with the monstrous Baru Cormorant.

Terry | 270 comments Mayim wrote: "I am so sorry Terry, I might be a couple of days late as I want to read Malazan first after I am done with the monstrous Baru Cormorant."

No worries! Those are some big reads. Hope you enjoy.

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Baru was a letdown, but I am sure Malazan will cheer me up.

Terry | 270 comments Ah yes, Malazan will do that. If it's The Bonehunters that you're starting, I enjoyed it a lot.

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments I am sure I will, I am a hopeless fan of the series. :D

Terry | 270 comments Definitely one of the best out there. I need to finish it up myself, and soon!

Terry | 270 comments I'm off to a slow start, but it's good already. Same feel as the first. I am fascinated by the history that gets mentioned. Sounds like it would make a good series itself. I hope we learn more as we go!

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments I'm starting today also. :)

Terry | 270 comments Excellent, Laura!

message 15: by Terry (last edited Nov 21, 2018 07:32PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Terry | 270 comments I'm 1/4 of the way in now (page 130 or so). I'm amazed at how much my feelings keep changing with Geder. (view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments I have a feeling he is. And I too started to feel different about him. From the end of last book I came up with this crazy theory that (view spoiler)

I'm a little ahead of you now, about 40 percent through. Will post my spoilers in a few hours time.

Terry | 270 comments Laura wrote: "I have a feeling he is. And I too started to feel different about him. From the end of last book I came up with this crazy theory that [spoilers removed]

I'm a little ahead of you now, about 40 pe..."

Interesting theory. I can see that. My fear is (view spoiler)

Not surprised you're ahead of me - I'm a pretty slow reader, normally, lol.

message 18: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'll be late (already am haha) because of the holiday, but I'll still be joining.

Terry | 270 comments Terrific, Niki! Glad you liked the first book a little better on your second go around.
I won't make any progress either with the holiday.

message 20: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

Terry wrote: "Terrific, Niki! Glad you liked the first book a little better on your second go around.
I won't make any progress either with the holiday."

Thank you! And yes, at least a full star more on the second go-round. The first time through I got a couple of the characters mixed up early on and didn't take the time to reorient (so it really was one of those cases where the book wasn't at fault... unless I want to criticize it for too many similar POVs haha) this time I had no issues. I'm genuinely looking forward to experiencing the rest of the series. :)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments @Terry - you might be right with that. Geder may (view spoiler)
I didn't get to read any more of it today so you can catch up. :D

How do you like Clara? I love her!

@Niki - I hope you'll like it better this time around. :) Or you gave up after book 1?

message 22: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura wrote: "@Terry - you might be right with that. Geder may [spoilers removed]

@Niki - I hope you'll lik..."

Thank you, and yeah I just never read on past he first book last time. :)

Terry | 270 comments Laura wrote: "@Terry - you might be right with that. Geder may [spoilers removed]

I do like Clara. (view spoiler)

Terry | 270 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "Terry wrote: "Terrific, Niki! Glad you liked the first book a little better on your second go around.
I won't make any progress either with the holiday."

Thank you! And yes, at least a full star ..."

Haha, good to hear!

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments @Terry - Yes. I agree! They do match.
I can't seem to be able to forget that little dialogue between them.

Btw - spoilers are for 1/4 through.
(view spoiler)😂🤣
They are great together!

I also liked it that she (view spoiler)

Terry | 270 comments Laura wrote: "@Terry - Yes. I agree! They do match.
I can't seem to be able to forget that little dialogue between them.

Btw - spoilers are for 1/4 through...."

Haha, yes, I like that funny banter as well. (view spoiler)

I wondered how that was going to play out with him. It seems like that is still going to lead somewhere else at some point down the road. It just feels like there’s more to it, not sure why though. She, and Dawson both, are certainly played up as being very honorable.

message 27: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm about 20% in. In the first few chapters I feel there were more drop in details about the various races than in the entire first book. I'm really happy with this shift.

I also feel myself excited to see what happens next, rather than just reading it because I feel like I should (yay!). I was worried about that for a while lol.

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments I am starting only today, sorry for the delay. Is anyone still reading?

message 29: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yes, I'm at about 30%. It's good! :)

Terry | 270 comments Oh yes, I’m still reading, about the same point as Niki, around 30%.

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Oh good to know. I am planning to do the first round of the protagonists tonight just to see where we are (no Master Kit's POV, I am so sad!)

Terry | 270 comments Sounds good, Mayim. And you will get one of Master Kit’s to start off with.

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Laura wrote: "I have a feeling he is. And I too started to feel different about him. From the end of last book I came up with this crazy theory that [spoilers removed]

I'm a little ahead of you now, about 40 pe..."

I think the same. There was this ominous prophecy (view spoiler)

I have made the first POV round. The schemes in Camnipol bore me but I cheer for Cithrin (view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Second Geder's POV: Oh no! (view spoiler) King's condition (view spoiler)

I'm kind of curious where Dawson will fit in all this.

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Laura wrote: "@Terry - you might be right with that. Geder may [spoilers removed]

I was a little bit surprised that something as innocuous as a (view spoiler)

Terry | 270 comments Mayim wrote: "Laura wrote: "@Terry - you might be right with that. Geder may [spoilers removed]

@Niki - I h..."

I was proud of (view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments True, it would be so very Dawson to forbid (view spoiler)

I've done third POV round and my, this escalated quickly (view spoiler)

And excuse me I have to ask, why are Marcus' POVs so very boring??

message 38: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Mayim wrote: "Oh good to know. I am planning to do the first round of the protagonists tonight just to see where we are (no Master Kit's POV, I am so sad!)"

Yes there are. This link will take you right to the POV count and as long as you stick to that section there are no spoilers. The other books are listed in the same section.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dag...

Terry | 270 comments Mayim wrote: "True, it would be so very Dawson to forbid [spoilers removed]

I've done third POV round and my, this escalated quickly [spoilers removed]

And excuse me I have to ask, why are Marcus' POVs so very..."

It really did escalate quickly. Ultimately, (view spoiler)

I’m hoping that Marcus’s storyline is just on the slow buildup to something bigger!

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments But also, what transpired cemented my belief that ultimately Dawson (view spoiler)

Terry | 270 comments Mayim wrote: "But also, what transpired cemented my belief that ultimately Dawson [spoilers removed]"

Has he become (view spoiler)

Narilka | 3375 comments Terry wrote: "Mayim wrote: "But also, what transpired cemented my belief that ultimately Dawson [spoilers removed]"

Has he become [spoilers removed]"

I like that comparison.

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Terry wrote: "Mayim wrote: "But also, what transpired cemented my belief that ultimately Dawson [spoilers removed]"

Has he become [spoilers removed]"

Tes, I got the (view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Sorry for going MIA on you guys. Had to go on a sudden trip and my phone net was down. :(

Finished it yesterday and it was great. I'll keep you company though and comment with you as you go.

Just a few thought because I have to :D:

Clara - she's my favourite by now! And I expect her to play a major role in the next books.

Geder - gives me the creeps! The guy may be batshit crazy, mad as a hatter or absolutely insane!! You guys let me know if you feel the same after you pass the 3 quarter mark.

Cithrin - I sure as hell didn't see that coming!

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Mayim wrote: "Laura wrote: "@Terry - you might be right with that. Geder may [spoilers removed]

@Niki - I h..."

Regarding the kiss (view spoiler)

message 46: by Mayim (last edited Nov 25, 2018 11:19PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments I am halfway through. Well, that escalated really fast. Geder, Geder... I don't think he is crazy. Abraham creates him with subtlety. He mingles good intentions with disastrous consequences (view spoiler) and social ineptitude or awkwardness with pure survival instincts (view spoiler).

Very scary overall. I don't think I'd like to be part of his court. That would give me creeps.

I hope that when the salvation comes, it comes through books (or written word) (view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Laura wrote: "Cithrin - I sure as hell didn't see that coming! ..."

So. I didn't see it coming either. But not because it has been hard to be seen (as in, the author put false hints) but because the author simply lied.

(view spoiler)

Hasn't happened yet but it doesn't matter.

I am still fuming.

My rating went to a very pale 3 stars as of now but I still have some pages to go.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Now - do not read this unless you finished because I don't know where exactly the events I'm talking about take place and I don't wanna spoil.
(view spoiler)

And as for Geder being batshit crazy - again read after finishing
(view spoiler)

Regarding the books and clues about (view spoiler)

Terry | 270 comments Mayim wrote: "Laura wrote: "Cithrin - I sure as hell didn't see that coming! ..."

So. I didn't see it coming either. But not because it has been hard to be seen (as in, the author put false hints) but because t..."

I just got to this point. You’re right, her actions (view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments I was so angry yesterday that I stopped reading. :D

« previous 1