Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Dragon's Path (The Dagger and the Coin, #1)
This topic is about The Dragon's Path
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Dragon's Path [Oct 15, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 105 (105 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 3 stars

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7555 comments Mod
This is a Buddy Read for The Dragon's Path by Daniel Abraham starting October 15, 2018.
The Dragon's Path (The Dagger and the Coin, #1) by Daniel Abraham

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments in!

message 3: by Miche (new) - added it

Miche | 3175 comments In!

Thank you, Niki! :)

message 4: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yw!

message 5: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm also totally in. I've been meaning to try this again.

message 6: by Miche (new) - added it

Miche | 3175 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "I'm also totally in. I've been meaning to try this again."

Yay!

message 7: by Veronica (new) - added it

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3613 comments Even though I fizzled out on his LPQ series, I'll give this one a try.

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Yes! Welcome on board!

message 9: by Miche (new) - added it

Miche | 3175 comments Veronica wrote: "Even though I fizzled out on his LPQ series, I'll give this one a try."

Awesome! This one seems to be very different from LPQ, so hopefully it will be more your style. :)

Narilka | 3347 comments I finished this series a month or so ago. It was great! Too soon for a reread though I'll be following the threads.

message 11: by Miche (new) - added it

Miche | 3175 comments Girls, I will be dropping this series for the moment. With my reading slump I am way behind on my schedule. I will focus on the series I still have to finish before adding a new one to the list.

Sorry!

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Well, I have been MIA as well so don't feel bad.

message 13: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 3 stars

No worries, Miche! :)

message 14: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 3 stars

I have every intention of reading these. With the BR. I just might be late lol.

I have a lot of personal shit going on. And I have to finish the second Powder Mage book before it gets returned to the library (I waited 3 months to get it this time lol). And then I have a review commitment. THEN I should be able to dive in.

Sometimes I feel like such a flake. But I caaaareee.

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Niki, I am happy to wait for you. I am going through personal shitstorm too. Hugs.

message 16: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mayim wrote: "Niki, I am happy to wait for you. I am going through personal shitstorm too. Hugs."

Thank you, Mayim - hugs back! <3

And thank you for offering to wait 😭 Lol. How much of a heads up would be preferable? :)

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments A couple of days should suffice Niki. I have the book on the shelf, so I would only need time to finish whatever I will be reading then. Would that work for you?

message 18: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mayim wrote: "A couple of days should suffice Niki. I have the book on the shelf, so I would only need time to finish whatever I will be reading then. Would that work for you?"

Yes, perfect! Thank you ^_^

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Super. Then let me know when you are ready.

message 20: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mayim wrote: "Super. Then let me know when you are ready."

Will do!

message 21: by Miche (new) - added it

Miche | 3175 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "Sometimes I feel like such a flake. But I caaaareee."

I feel you, Niki! I am at the same situation at this moment.

That is the issue of being an emotional reader. I need the perfect mood for the books.

message 22: by Miche (new) - added it

Miche | 3175 comments Mayim wrote: "Well, I have been MIA as well so don't feel bad."

:)

I will stalk the comments and for sure I will come back to the thread when I finally get to read the books. Hopefully I can catch up for the later books.

Terry | 270 comments Haha, I came to check on other's progress on this one, and I see I'm not the only one who was too busy to start this on the 15th.

message 24: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terry wrote: "Haha, I came to check on other's progress on this one, and I see I'm not the only one who was too busy to start this on the 15th."

lol that's funny! I'm glad I'm not the only one haha.

message 25: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mayim (and Terry if you have time to join us) I was thinking either a Tuesday or Wednesday start this week if you're in the mood to read it next. :)

message 26: by Mayim (last edited Oct 28, 2018 09:03AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Wednesday works perfectly for me!

Terry | 270 comments I'm going to make the time! And Tuesday or Wednesday work just fine.

message 28: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sweet!!!

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Great people here for this BR so I'll make time too. :)

message 30: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura wrote: "Great people here for this BR so I'll make time too. :)"

:D

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments OH I'm very happy to hear it, Laura!

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments So I have started and I like it a lot. I have read only a couple of chapters and the prologue, so there is a lot of exposition but the protagonists are interesting and balanced and the world looks exciting (13 races! wow!).

Don't have a favourite so far.

Terry | 270 comments I’m intimidated about keeping 13 races straight already! Lots of learning to do off the bat.

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments It is not that bad. He immerses us slowly.

message 35: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 3 stars

I started today as well, but I'm not that far in. I've actually read this first book before and thought that it was just okay. I'm told it gets better and better with each book, so that's why I'm giving it another go. Maybe I'll even like it more this time around. 🤞

I did like the characters and the concept. I remember exactly nothing about anything though lol.

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments I like the slowly emerging intrigue. But I have only made the first round of the protagonists.

Narilka | 3347 comments A note to anyone reading this on Kindle - there's an error with publishing that the epilogue is out of order. Mine was after the acknowledgements stuff. That was many months back so I have no idea if it was fixed yet.

About all the races, they get an appendix in later books. At least I don't remember one after the first book? Here's a non spoiler reference: http://www.danielabraham.com/books-by...

Terry | 270 comments Narilka wrote: "A note to anyone reading this on Kindle - there's an error with publishing that the epilogue is out of order. Mine was after the acknowledgements stuff. That was many months back so I have no idea ..."

Thanks for that link, Narilka! That will be very beneficial. An appendix with the first book would have been good idea.

Terry | 270 comments I'm about 1/3 of the way in. I agree about the slow buildup of the intrigue. It's been good so far. It has a realistic feel to it. I did read the page on the different races. It was definitely helpful in giving me some imagery as I'm going.

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments It is hard to post without spoilers as the chapters are not numbered but I just wanted to say that I LOVED the Gandalf "We shall pass" and "you have no power here" moment.

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Terry wrote: "I'm about 1/3 of the way in. I agree about the slow buildup of the intrigue. It's been good so far. It has a realistic feel to it. I did read the page on the different races. It was definitely help..."

Yeah, I was thinking that I need more a visual guide than the description. I'll try to find something later.

Terry | 270 comments Mayim wrote: "It is hard to post without spoilers as the chapters are not numbered but I just wanted to say that I LOVED the Gandalf "We shall pass" and "you have no power here" moment."

Yes! And (view spoiler)

Narilka | 3347 comments Post spoilers using page percentages?

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Dawson's chapters are stressing me out (view spoiler).

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Narilka wrote: "Post spoilers using page percentages?"

It is an idea but I'd have to check how to change to %. Thanks. :)

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Cannot do this in iBooks. So I will try to be enigmatic and unspoilery.

Ever since the Gandalf moment (view spoiler) but the scene when they pretend to walk five drunken men (view spoiler)

message 47: by Beatrice Apetrei (new)

Beatrice Apetrei (aabandreea) | 6 comments I rewatched one of my favorite tv series of all time, which is Merlin, and the tv mini series The Pillars of the Earth. Gorgeous productions.
Give them a try when you can, they are totally worth it!

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Andreea Beatrice wrote: "I rewatched one of my favorite tv series of all time, which is Merlin, and the tv mini series The Pillars of the Earth. Gorgeous productions.
Give them a try when you can, they are totally worth it!"

I am not sure this is the best thread for this kind of things.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments I can't really get it from your comments how far you all are in it. Halfway through or almost over? If you're still not done and I get a chance to catch up I'll start tonight.

I got caught up with Halloween and trick or treating and kids exams and competitions at school and I still have to finish a book I'm beta reading now. Planning to get that done by today.

message 50: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm still not very far but I have to say I'm liking it a lot more than my 2 star rating. I think I read it before I was really used to multiple pov stories. Now that I've read like a billion of them, I like this lol. I'd also just finished LPQ and my expectations were astronomical.

« previous 1 3