Flights of Fantasy discussion

A Natural History of Dragons (The Memoirs of Lady Trent, #1)
This topic is about A Natural History of Dragons
Buddy Reads > A Natural History of Dragons - Starting July 1...ish

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Hey all! A couple of us have decided to read A Natural History of Dragons together, around the beginning of July. All are welcome to join should you be interested! :)

We'll read at our own pace, and there's no real set start date, so if you're free a bit earlier or later, that's cool.

All we ask is that you post spoiler warnings so as to not spoil anything for anyone else. Standard procedure, you know. :)

message 2: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - added it

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments I'm in!

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Yay! Me too. :D

message 4: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - added it

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments My library only has ebooks editons so I've order a used HB edition. I mean, how can I be a true coverwhore if I read THIS and don't read the edition with full color illustrations.

O_O

Inquiring minds and all that... ;-)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Well, I mean, I'm going to be listening to the audio... soooo...

message 6: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - added it

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Becky wrote: "Well, I mean, I'm going to be listening to the audio... soooo..."

You're not into covers like I am. That's fair. TBH, I'd not even sure I'd be interested if it wasn't so pretty.

>.>

<.<

Don't judge me

message 7: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - added it

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Nicki wrote: "It has full colour illustrations...? Dammit, now I have to order paper. :D"

:-D

message 8: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - added it

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Nicki wrote: "It has full colour illustrations...? Dammit, now I have to order paper. :D"

CANCEL THAT ORDER!

Well, personal preference, of course. ;-)

I got my copy today. There are pics but NOT full color. :-(

I would have read the ebook if I would've known. Reviews LIED TO ME.

But the cover is pretty and there are pics. BUt they are more like gray-scale pencil drawings. in a quick flip through, there are at least 9-10 drawings.

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) OK, I've been listening to this on some errands this morning, and I'm quite enjoying it so far.

It's a bit jarring to my 21st century sensibilities, with all this talk of a husband "permitting" his wife to do this or that... but still, I'm liking it.

I do wish that I had the illustrations though.

message 10: by Ala (new)

Ala | 469 comments Illustrations are just dragon pictures. And a map i think.

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I like dragon pictures.

message 12: by Ala (new)

Ala | 469 comments Then you chose poorly with the audiobook.

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I didn't know there were pictures when I chose this!

Does your cruelty know no bounds?? :(

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Coincidentally I wish that I had gone with the audio version of the book that I'm reading now in print. Sigh.

message 15: by Chris , cookie guilt (new) - added it

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments Started last night, read a chapter.

message 16: by Ala (new)

Ala | 469 comments Well now i feel bad.

THANKS BECKS

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Ala wrote: "Well now i feel bad.

THANKS BECKS"

MWAHAHAHAHAHA! :D

(Don't feel bad. I still heart your furry face. :D)

message 18: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - added it

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments I'm about 100 pages in. I'm...bored. but she's interesting in her own way. I'm assuming her husband will die or she'll get a divorce or something, however.

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Why, because she's Camhearst (sp?) but the series is Lady Trent? Neither of those have to happen to acquire the name/title change. She mentioned at the beginning that she's a "national treasure" which I'm assuming means that she'd (or they'd) be recognized by the government/king/queen whatever they have in her country and have been given the title(s) of Lord and Lady of Trent.

I'm about 85% in now, expect to finish in the next few hours.

It is very different than I expected, but I don't dislike it. It's just different.

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Well shit.

message 21: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - added it

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Becky wrote: "Why, because she's Camhearst (sp?) but the series is Lady Trent? Neither of those have to happen to acquire the name/title change. She mentioned at the beginning that she's a "national treasure" wh..."

Yeah, that was my assumption because of the name change. And she doesn't use her last name at all in the forward.

message 22: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - added it

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Becky wrote: "Well shit."

DOn't tell me!

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Finished.

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) MrsJoseph wrote: "Becky wrote: "Well shit."

DOn't tell me!"

LOL I won't.

message 25: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - added it

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Becky wrote: "Finished."

pffffft

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Read faster!

Or do the audio... I listened at 1.85x speed and it was great. Like a slightly fast speaking pace. Brought the actual listening time down from 10 hours to like... 6. :D

message 27: by Ala (new)

Ala | 469 comments Becky wrote: "Well shit."

(view spoiler)

message 28: by Ala (new)

Ala | 469 comments So what'd ya think, Becks?

Did it feel like it would've been better had the author just went ahead and made the setting an Alternate Earth instead of the fantasy setting?

message 29: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - added it

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments You guys SUCK

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Ala wrote: "Becky wrote: "Well shit."

[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Ala wrote: "So what'd ya think, Becks?

Did it feel like it would've been better had the author just went ahead and made the setting an Alternate Earth instead of the fantasy setting?"

Well... I kinda feel like that's what she did. If it wasn't intended to just be a fantastical version of Earth (just with different place names and such) then I totally missed the boat on that one. The social norms and Victorian-esque sensibilities and sexism and such totally seemed to me like the only thing she did was change place names and add dragons, but I didn't have a problem with it... she could do a lot with that.

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) MrsJoseph wrote: "You guys SUCK"

READ. FASTER. :P

message 33: by Ala (new)

Ala | 469 comments What didn't you like about it?

Also, you going to keep reading the series? I wanna see what ya think of book 3.

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Are you on book 3 already?? Omg.

message 35: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - added it

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Becky wrote: "Are you on book 3 already?? Omg."

IKR???!

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Ala - Yes, I probably will continue the series. I really, really loved the narration of the audiobook and so will likely go that route again (despite my sad at not having pictures).

Things that I didn't like... (view spoiler)

Otherwise, I liked it lots. You?

message 37: by Ala (new)

Ala | 469 comments Oh, I finished the series on Sunday.

I agree with you about the memoir style, but it didn't bother me at all. I liked the bones(heh) of the entire series though I wished the execution were better.

I do have issues with it, mostly with the way real world words and customs are just relabeled with nonsensical Fantasy names. And there are a lot of pacing issues throughout. And book 3 was rather... well it bothered me a lot.

But overall I'd probably give it two and a half stars.

message 38: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 2 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Hey Ala -

I bailed after book 1. Could you spoiler for me what bothered you about book 3? I'm curious.

message 39: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - added it

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments The made up names are bothering me - if you weren't going to change anything besides adding dragons, is there any reason for the name changes? It's annoying and I keep re-mapping myself to England.

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Hmm... Well if you rated the series that low and you didn't like book 3 why would I continue? LOL

message 41: by Ala (new)

Ala | 469 comments Because you might enjoy them better than I did, Becks. You gave this one a 4. Id have given it a 3.

Colleen, book 3 spoilers
(view spoiler)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Ala wrote: "Because you might enjoy them better than I did, Becks. You gave this one a 4. Id have given it a 3."

Hmm... Perhaps. I read your spoiler and I can see how that would be an issue, yeah.

message 43: by Ala (new)

Ala | 469 comments You know, I love GGK. I've never felt this issue with any of his books and I've read them all.

Not sure why it bothers me so much with this series. It just feels lazy. And i felt this way before i got to book 3.

message 44: by Ala (new)

Ala | 469 comments Becky wrote: "Hmm... Perhaps. I read your spoiler and I can see how that would be an issue, yeah."

Book 3 is still a neat story. Has a few really nice moments as well. My personal issue is outside of the story. And it sours the whole for me. Others probably wouldn't even notice.

message 45: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 2 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments So, I had read this awhile ago and didn't reread it for the buddy read, but I agree with the pacing issues. I think I had thought, when I first picked it up, that it was a standalone and going to cover her whole life, and I thought the beginning was good, and then things came to a grinding halt.

Ala, that really sucks about Book 3. I always have weird feelings about this sort of thing. Like, Ranger's Apprentice is one of my favorite series - but it does the same thing. It's clearly set in not-England, and then they travel to not-Africa and not-Japan and encounter not-Vikings, and in the new Brotherband series they encounter not-Native Americans. I do feel like that series tries to do a decent job and giving other cultures depth and doesn't just exploit them, but I also get a bit hinky about where that line is, and then I worry that it crosses into the White Savior territory to boot. :-/

And then Kinslayer had that same issue, set in not-Japan, and some people pointed out that a lot of the cultural stuff was handled badly in that book, and the author is just like, "but it's fantasy, so it doesn't matter", which... ugh.

message 46: by Ala (new)

Ala | 469 comments The treatment wasn't even bad. It was realistic and didn't make us seem like savages or anything. It's just that it seemed like the author was presenting these rituals and cultural aspects as if they were from her own imagination.

Book 3 spoilers
(view spoiler)

message 47: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 2 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Ohhhhhh. Yeah, I totally get that. That's fucked.