Reese's Book Club x Hello Sunshine discussion

Something in the Water > What do you think?

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hello (new)

Hello Sunshine | 58 comments Mod
What did you think of this book? We want to hear your thoughts!

message 2: by Jamie-Lee (new)

Jamie-Lee (jlkfraser) | 16 comments Something in the Water was fantastic! I was on the edge of my seat the whole time! What a nail biter, holy moly! Great pick!

message 3: by Moonkiszt (new)

Moonkiszt (moonkisztgmailcom) Not a fan. . . I liked other characters better than I liked the protagonist. . .I don't like it that she got away with it. . . She didn't deserve it. . . .it's like she fell into all those favorable circumstances or had help from Samaritans.. .??? Anyway. Not a fan.

message 4: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1 comments This is what happens when the main character, who is TOO STUPID TO LIVE, unleashes her inner sociopath. So many times I wanted to throw my Kindle against the wall over something amazingly stupid she does. She makes documentaries, but admits she can't read people and misses details. Plus her research skills appear to only encompass watching You Tube videos. WHAT???

Reese, honey, you steered us wrong on this one.

message 5: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn (kaitward) What did everyone think of the very ending? The part where Holly is on TV. I was confused as to why that was the ending scene? Was there some kind of metaphor or analogy to Mark/Erin that I missed? Holly was a very minor part of the plot and to have the book end with that was strange, I thought. Usually books in this vein end with some kind of gut punch or final plot twist or reveal, so when it was Holly on TV I was like ... what? Why?

message 6: by Kristin (new)

Kristin Koppes | 1 comments I agree about the Holli ending...what? What was that about? I liked Erin and didn’t find her annoying or stupid. Naive and impulsive, yes. I read the book very quickly and enjoyed the development of Eddie. Would recommend.

message 7: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay G. (readinggingerly) | 1 comments I loved it. The audiobook was fantastic 📚♥️

message 8: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Meisgeier (ameisgeier) | 1 comments I think the ending with Holli on TV leaves it open for a second book.

message 9: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Altman | 1 comments This was an awful read. The writing was elementary at best with characters that lacked any real depth and believability. It was so superficial and the plot was the only thing (sort of) going for it. Even the plot... at the end, I’m like, what the heck is this? That’s it? It was bad. And given the fact there was no beautiful writing to make up for the weak *everything*—it just fell flat all around. Bad. Bad. Bad.

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Smyth | 2 comments The book was just ok for me. The characters were likeable but I had this feeling throughout the entire book that there was something more to Mark. The ending with Holli on TV was confusing to me.

Beatriz A. Darroz I enjoyed the book very much, I thought it was well written and the story was developed in different fronts, which was nice.
I was expecting a bigger reveal at the end. Her husband hiding something from her was pretty easy to guess, I was just a bit disappointed with the what.

I’m curious to know what favor Eddie asks in the end, any ideas? Eddie and Alexa were by far my favorite characters. Erin was likable too.

I wish we knew all the details that weren’t explained. Like what was in the USB drive, who were those people on the plane, how was Erin and her husband tracked down, how did Patrick die. I also wish we had the husband’s explanation for what exactly he was trying to do, and what his reaction would be when he found out he was having a child.

message 12: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 1 comments I think the author was leaving it open for a sequel especially after the ending. Also, possibly a second book from the husband's pov.

message 13: by Cori (new)

Cori (clp412) | 8 comments I enjoyed this book. The author is the narrator for the Audiobook and it enhanced the experience for me with her voice and tone! I was frustrated with some of the choices the characters made, but I think that is what made it great fiction!

message 14: by Luz (new)

Luz Trevino (luztrevino) | 2 comments The book was an ok read for me. I loved the first chapter and it is why I was determined to finish reading it. I was a little disappointed on how the book turned out.

message 15: by PR (new)

PR | 2 comments The book was OK for me as well. I listen to it on Audible and the narrator was great. The ending had a nice twist but I think the whole story could of been better.
Overall it was an ok book.

message 16: by Priya Shrinath (new)

Priya Shrinath (syllablesofswathi) | 3 comments I had so much questions, for which the author never answered us. I think Catherine was in a dilemma designing the characters. She wanted Erin to be a strong independent woman, using her wits to move forward. But she couldn't help when the character turned out to make utterly stupid decisions all through the story.
How stupid do you think the Russians are? I mean, don't you think it's a little absurd to meet someone who clearly stole the diamonds, and concealed the wreck, in a goddamned forest?!
It took me all my efforts to complete the book without throwing my Kindle.
I'm not blaming the author for this, she just needed a proper story. The writing was nice and smooth though.

message 17: by Heather (new)

Heather (hrobison11) | 3 comments I love that it kept me thinking about what could actually be done! While I didn’t agree with some of Erin’s decisions it made me question, how could it have been done better? I saw the ending coming but not to the extent the author wrote it. There are a few loose ends but overall I was pleased with this one.

message 18: by Podenca (last edited Aug 04, 2018 02:49AM) (new)

Podenca (passionateaboutpodencos) | 7 comments I loved this as an audio book and enjoyed it being narrated by the author. I thought it was very well written compared to a lot of thrillers out there and loved the exotic location, luxe lifestyle and trivia sidenotes thrown in - a welcome change from dreary kitchen sink thrillers. I agree though that the protagonist was infuriating - it did make me think though about an author making her heroine so very stupid when clearly the author is very bright and agree given the character's career, could she really be so clueless - even the way she went about opening a canvas bag was ridiculous - if she had youtubed it as she did with so many of her projects she would have seen how easy it is to unzip luggage and indeed re-zip it undetectably too. Um also, while I loved the all the detailed descriptions of the gorgeous lingerie packed for the honeymoon, surely bikinis or swimwear would have been more the order of the day ,,, but I suppose if you think meeting a powerful crime syndicate in a forest is a good idea then perhaps packing for beach hols are also beyond you. I don't know if I could ever write a main character who made such silly choices and was so dim - I would like to ask the author why she did as it would have been so much more enjoyable is she was more on the ball. I also found the ending a bit clunky and think it could have been fine tuned a bit. But over all I did love it and really savoured it as a great treat in a sea of mediocre thrillers. I hope there will be a second book along soon, hopefully with a more savvy protagonist but all the same twists and turns and glamorous backdrop.

message 19: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jamie74) I really enjoyed this book!! It was full of suspense and mystery...I was constantly thinking what would I do and ohhh they shouldn't have done that or should have done this. I didn't want to put it down!!

message 20: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (Bookgirl148) | 2 comments It started off slow for me but picked up and really surprised me in the end. I enjoyed the creation of the suspicions between husband and wife and it led me places I wasn’t expecting. It also kept me up late and I was groggy at the bookstore for a few days but I enjoyed telling customers why and sharing this pick with them!!
#indigoemployee

message 21: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 7 comments I enjoyed this book, but the writing was very repetitious. I could have made a drinking game out of every time she said “I know him so well”, which truthfully, is just her delusion. She didn’t know him at all! That’s why he was able to do what he did without her suspecting anything.

message 22: by Ann (new)

Ann (anniebats) | 1 comments I listened to the audio version of the book, and I appreciated that the author was the narrator. She has a lovely reading voice and, of course, an investment in the character's voices and pace of the story. There were times I found myself holding my breath in anticipation of what might come next. It wasn't always easy to relate to the characters, one previous comment stated, "She didn't deserve it. . . .it's like she fell into all those favorable circumstances or had help from Samaritans.. .???" Both Erin and Mark had serious distance between themselves and making a moral choice. The story relied heavily on contrived circumstances, but that didn't take anything away from the value of being able to lose myself in the story. I am the type of reader who often guesses the outcome of a mystery before making it midway through the story. This story kept me (for the most part) in the dark about which way the cards would fall, so I was able to overlook certain plot holes or contrivances, even though I kept wanting to yell - "Take the bag to the police!", or "Throw the cellphone and usb into the ocean!", "What if the money is marked?", "What if the diamonds have serial numbers that mark them as stolen?" It would be interesting to read the same story from Mark's point of view, just to see where the loyalty to Erin began to wane. He was a bit of a wank prior to their wedding, but given his circumstances, I don't think it was unbelievable to think he loved Erin.

message 23: by Alejandra (new)

Alejandra Momi | 1 comments I love this book!!! Page turner for sure!!! What I would love to know more about what Holly did and why she was on TV I know she was involved with some scary people but I needed more details :)