Poldark Saga - Winston Graham discussion

TV adaptation > Season 4 - Episode 7

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tanya, Moderator/Hostess (new)

Tanya | 640 comments Mod
Welcoming comments for Season 4 - Episode 7 (2018)

message 2: by Ken (new)

Ken Cummins | 353 comments I assume Monk will pick it up a notch this episode... so far he's been little more than an extra.

message 3: by Trev (last edited Jul 17, 2018 01:50PM) (new)

Trev | 114 comments Ken wrote: "I assume Monk will pick it up a notch this episode... so far he's been little more than an extra."

I am hoping that the Monk scenes will be as true to the book as possible and that much of the dialogue will be WG's words. Obviously this episode will cover one of the best and most important parts of TAT, from (view spoiler)

message 4: by Stella (new)

Stella Day | 391 comments Episode 7 was a very fast pace and it's looking like the final episode next week will be even faster with all that has to be crammed in. And that is not including all the extras that DH cannot resist. That said I have enjoyed this series because it has stayed much closer to the books than either series 2 or 3 and because the acting has been superb. Let's hope we soon hear what is in store in series 5. There is a rumour that it's going to be all DH's own work covering the 10 year gap between TAT and TSFRTS.

message 5: by Ken (new)

Ken Cummins | 353 comments Stella wrote: "Episode 7 was a very fast pace and it's looking like the final episode next week will be even faster with all that has to be crammed in. And that is not including all the extras that DH cannot resi..."
Stella, for me Debbie didn't make the case that Monk was a threat. It was over in a flash. I'm not sure I'd like an entire made up season after S3. haha... I agree S4 was a bit better, and closer to the book. Unfortunately, much was left out. Episode 8 looks like a lot of flashbacks......both Monk and Francis will be back for curtain calls according to IMDB.

message 6: by Stella (new)

Stella Day | 391 comments Ken wrote: "Stella, for me Debbie didn't make the case that Monk was a threat. It was over in a flash. Episode 8 looks like a lot of flashbacks......both Monk and Francis will be back for curtain calls according to IMDB. "

I am interested in your view on Monk. I found him to be a huge threat. Perhaps it's a gender thing. I hadn't heard about flashbacks. This is worrying as there will be insufficient time without flashbacks to cover the rest of TAT. An entire season of DH's fill in doesn't appeal to me either but I shall still watch it. It's only a rumour.

message 7: by Bernie (new)

Bernie | 301 comments Stella wrote: "There is a rumour that it's going to be all DH's own work covering the 10 year gap between TAT and TSFRTS."

Stella, that makes sense and would solve a lot of problems for this team. They would not have to deal with the issue of physically aging the actors. They would not have to deal with the problem of condensing five books into one season, or deciding which story line to leave out. The focus of the last five books was the children, and if they focused on the "next ten years" the focus could remain on Ross and Demelza's relationship.

I had a feeling after seeing the end of E7 and the preview for next week, especially the way Ross leaves Demelza to go and see about Elizabeth, and the look on their faces at the end of the preview, that we will not see them coming together as they did in the book.

Also for DH covering the next ten years would finally free her from being tied to that dame book, and let her be free to show the world what a great story teller she is-----(not). It would also follow her version of Demelza showing how modern and independent she is by rejecting Ross's immature behavior in having a dual, and fleeing to Elizabeth's side.

There actually is a suggestion of this in the book. I re-read the end of TAT last night and there is a long passage when Demelza tells Caroline that she will never forgive Ross for the Duel, and goes into a long explanation of her rejection of his behavior. If DH followed this line she would drop the sweet reconciliation when Ross returns from London, and Demelza's understanding about his inquire about Elizabeth's health and leave us with a cliff hanger for season 5.

In any even we will shortly know, but I would very much not be surprised if E8 ends will Demelza and Ross on the outs.

message 8: by Bernie (new)

Bernie | 301 comments One further thought. If the rumor is true. DH has the makings of a new story line with Caroline and Ross in London and Demelza and Dwight in Cornwall. There were hints of it this season, but it could develop with all four feeling drawn to new relationships, which would test everyones fidelity to their partners. Interesting that in the preview for E8 there is no hint of Caroline and Ross's conversation during their return to Cornwall, or of her return at all.

Clearly they have this all worked out since filming starts in September. The end of E8 will tell us all, and DH will have to say how they intend to go forward for season 5. I would bet on the rumor.

message 9: by Trev (last edited Jul 25, 2018 04:38AM) (new)

Trev | 114 comments I enjoyed episode 7 even though it raced along. I kept thinking why only eight episodes, this series could easily have been nine or even ten. Demelza's week of delight lasted only a couple of minutes on screen and when she was telling Ross how happy she was I knew that was the moment it would all change. Debbie kept faithfully to the book, in London anyway, and Monk was almost word for word from the book.

There were two main differences for me. The first was new man Ross asking for forgiveness (twice) whilst Demelza didn't say 'I shall never forgive him for this.' I thought the 'cuckold' conversation was downplayed a bit and instead of 'Angry Tide man' we got 'Please forgive me man' at the end of it. That didn't ring true because Ross wasn't really being honest when he said it.

The other difference was that the heavy emphasis on London pushed Drake and Morwenna way onto the sidelines, which wasn't warranted. Morwenna in particularly deserved more time. Her rushing over to Drake's to tell him about nasty Ozzie then rushing off again just didn't work for me - where has she gone to?

If we are to get a Monk flashback, as Ken mentioned, maybe he morphs into Hugh just as Ross shoots him in the groin. This could happen in a revelatory dream when Ross is sleeping in the coach back to Cornwall.

I am worried about the rumour mentioned by Stella, because we could get another series three with Debbie's 'wild dream memories' as well as Demelza's. There are plenty of references in the later books to that ten year gap period, but it wouldn't really be Poldark it would be the Ross and Demelza show ( or maybe the Demelza and Ross show.)

message 10: by Trev (new)

Trev | 114 comments Looking at the cast list for episode 8 I have noticed that at least four of them are dead.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bf...

That definitely means flashbacks but for what purpose?

message 11: by Bernie (new)

Bernie | 301 comments Flashback may mean that Ross and Demelza don’t come together as in the book so the rumor might well be true that next season will be all DH ‘s version of the next 10 years with D and R all over the place. If DH cares about the book she will need to have them together for Bella’s birth in 1802.

message 12: by Sara (new)

Sara Lag | 8 comments The flashbacks? Well.... something big is happening in the next episode... like your life flashing before your eyes kind of thing.

message 13: by Stella (new)

Stella Day | 391 comments Bernie wrote: "Stella wrote: "There is a rumour that it's going to be all DH's own work covering the 10 year gap between TAT and TSFRTS."

Stella, that makes sense and would solve a lot of problems for this team...."

Oh Bernie - I hope you are wrong about the ending of episode 8. I badly want it to end as in the book with Ross and Demelza close again. Also, I hate the thought of Ross and Demelza swapping with Caroline and Dwight. It is so out of character for Dwight especially but the others too. DH has always said that Poldark is the story of a successful marriage. How can it be that if there is to be more infidelities. How horrible!!

message 14: by Doug (new)

Doug Whitney | 41 comments Bernie wrote: "Flashback may mean that Ross and Demelza don’t come together as in the book so the rumor might well be true that next season will be all DH ‘s version of the next 10 years with D and R all over the..."

This is pure idle speculation based on the end of Ep 7 and what we see and don't see in the teaser for Ep 8. Ross returns to Cornwall. He and Demelza are unable to come together and when Ross goes to check on Elizabeth it's the last straw for Demelza. Ross returns to Nanpara to find that Demelza has taken the children and gone to stay with Dwight until she can sort things out. Caroline will still be in London. We are thus presented with a number of possible ways forward. That's our cliffhanger going into Season 5.

message 15: by Bernie (new)

Bernie | 301 comments Stella, DH now has only one season to fill out and to me it makes no sense to start on the story of the children. Filling in the ten year gap is perfect for her as the modern story teller. While I think she will end up with Ross and Demelza together there will be no drama if that is the way they start out. Moreover there is no cliffhanger is they are together at the end of season 4. So here is my take:

In the book it is Caroline that makes Ross confront the fact that he killed Monk because he was the surrogate for Hugh. I think next week it will be Demelza that makes the connection that Ross was really dueling with Hugh when he killed Monk. She cannot forgive him for that and then he proves he still loved Elizabeth by running to her side when she warned him not to go, just like the time he ran to her when he heard that she was to marry George. All to much for her to stand and thus ends season 4. So season 4 is Demelza trying to convince Ross that she loves him and season 5 will be Ross trying to convince Demelza that he loves her. Meanwhile we have not resolved Caroline’s desire to be in London and Dwight’s desire to be in Cornwall.

We will soon see.

message 16: by Bernie (new)

Bernie | 301 comments Stella wrote: " I badly want it to end as in the book with Ross and Demelza close again..."

There have been a number of interviews and teasers that suggest you will be disappointed. You might check this one out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7glr...

message 17: by Bernie (new)

Bernie | 301 comments Here is another thought about the final episode. Over the last several days it has leaked out that the episode will have a big beginning and given the list of actors and characters to appear we know there will be flashbacks involving both Monk and Hugh. I suspect that they will be in the same flashback as Ross dreams about the duel and sees Monk morphing into Hugh. What better way for him to realize that he eagerly agreed to the duel because this time around he was determined not to passively standby and watch a man take Demelza.

I also like Doug's notion that after Ross runs to Elizabeth she will run to Dwight because she has no closer friend in Cornwall. It will then fall to Dwight to tell Ross that Demelza has left him and will stay with him until she figures things out. And as Doug says this then presents a "number of possible ways forward. That's our cliffhanger going into Season 5."

Another possible flashback, if Ken was writing this, would be Demelza's vision of her second tryst with the dying Hugh, but somehow I doubt we will see that.

There is still one loose end to tie up and that is Ross's knowing about the poems. Somehow over the next season that will come back to play. Ross might use it to justify his killing Monk/Hugh---Hugh not only touched your heart, but also I know he took your body----and I (Ross) was determined to never let that happen again. The only way I (Ross) could be sure was to kill your suitor, as I should have done with Hugh back in Cornwall.

message 18: by Trev (new)

Trev | 114 comments Bernie wrote: "Here is another thought about the final episode. Over the last several days it has leaked out that the episode will have a big beginning and given the list of actors and characters to appear we kno..."

The summary of episode 8 by the Radio Times seems to confirm that there won't be a happy ending.

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv-program...

I never considered the end of TAT as any sort of true reconciliation for Ross and Demelza, more an acceptance of their fates. Demelza did reach out to Ross but mainly because of his need for sympathy and support. I felt that the depth of love between them before their respective infidelities had not yet returned. Maybe DH will use series 5 to further explore their relationship and bring them closer together.

message 19: by Stella (new)

Stella Day | 391 comments Interview with Debbie Horsfield about episode 8 SPOILER ALERT!!!!
Poldark writer Debbie Horsfield on what’s in store for Ross and co in the series four finale and beyond…
image: https://keyassets-p2.timeincuk.net/wp...
Poldark writer Debbie Horsfield promises a drama-packed finale that will change the lives 
of hero Ross and all the main characters forever when series four of the hit Cornish saga draws to a close this Sunday.
Following the explosive showdown with Monk Adderley last week, Ross returns to Cornwall to 
try to make amends 
with wife Demelza, but will he succeed? Meanwhile, desperate Elizabeth obtains a tonic designed to induce an early labour in an attempt to convince husband George that little Valentine is his child once and for all. But will her plan work? Elsewhere, Morwenna seeks out Drake – could a fairy-tale ending finally be on the cards for 
the star-crossed lovers?
With so many threads to tie up, TV Times met with Debbie Horsfield for an exclusive interview to find out more…
So, Debbie, how would you describe the final episode?
“Dramatic, exhilarating, tense, heartbreaking… but ultimately heart-warming! There’s so much story, so many twists and turns, we couldn’t fit it all in! The opening scene will 
be a surprise and we’ll 
get to see the return of some familiar faces who 
came back especially 
for the finale.”
What’s in store for Ross and Demelza (Aidan Turner and Eleanor Tomlinson)?
“They have been through some difficult times, and their marriage was stretched to breaking point. It was often difficult to watch, especially when their respective hurt and sense of betrayal made them fractious or distant with each other. A few viewers have lamented the loss of romance from their relationship during those times. Ultimately, though, theirs is the story of a marriage which survives, which thrives, which deepens and strengthens with each year and challenge. What we see in episode eight is the resolution of several storylines that provide some of their sternest challenges. But because of the discoveries they’ve made – about themselves and each other – they’re in a very different place by the end of the series.”
(Picture: BBC)
Elizabeth (Heida Reed) is central to the episode. What can you tell us about this dramatic storyline?
“Elizabeth is a contentious character. Winston Graham [who wrote the Poldark novels] describes her story as ‘the tragedy of a woman who couldn’t make up her mind’. Very much a woman of her time, bred 
to make a good marriage but with very little power of her own, she’s a survivor who will do what needs to be done, especially on behalf of her children. It’s because of her love 
for her children that she makes a decision that will change the lives of everyone forever.”
image: https://static.apester.com/js/assets/...

Can we expect any happiness for poor Morwenna (Ellise Chappell)?

(Picture: BBC)
“Morwenna’s 
story has been particularly harrowing. There are no quick fixes 
for someone who’s been as traumatised as she has, but let’s say there’s more than a glimmer of hope.”
Can you tell us anything about series five just yet?
“I’m currently writing it. We know fans are eager to know more and we’ll be letting them know once series four has finished.”

Read more at https://www.whatsontv.co.uk/news/pold...

I don't like the sound of this because she gives the impression that this final episode is not close to the book and is more about preparation for her own story in series 5

message 20: by Trev (new)

Trev | 114 comments Stella wrote: "Bernie wrote: "Stella wrote: ........
Also, I hate the thought of Ross and Demelza swapping with Caroline and Dwight. It is so out of character for Dwight especially but the others too.

Stella - Your post reminded me of the admission Caroline made to Ross on their way back from Cornwall (in TAT) (view spoiler)

message 21: by Stella (last edited Jul 26, 2018 04:01AM) (new)

Stella Day | 391 comments Trev wrote: "Stella wrote: "Bernie wrote: "Stella wrote: ........
Also, I hate the thought of Ross and Demelza swapping with Caroline and Dwight. It is so out of character for Dwight especially but the others t..."

Trev - Can you say a bit more about your final sentence? Some people think this conversation will be left out.

message 22: by Trev (last edited Jul 26, 2018 04:45AM) (new)

Trev | 114 comments Stella wrote: "Trev wrote: "Stella wrote: "Bernie wrote: "Stella wrote: ........
Also, I hate the thought of Ross and Demelza swapping with Caroline and Dwight. It is so out of character for Dwight especially but..."

It could be left out of episode eight but that would be a shame. (view spoiler)

message 23: by Bernie (new)

Bernie | 301 comments Another section of TAT that has been left out was Demelza's feelings about the duel, and how it impacted her feeling for Ross. Here is what she thought:

"Demelza looked at Ross, his drawn face, the blood already seeping through the new bandage. And she thought: I shall never forgive him for this. And she thought it all the following days. To her it seemed like a blasphemy against life, to risk so much for so little. It showed a newer, darker side of Ross than even she had ever known. But also it showed a person bound by a foolish tradition of his class that he of all people should have been clear-sighted enough to disavow."

Will this impact her decision to reconcile with Ross after his return to Cornwall?

Moreover will Demleza see, as Caroline did, that Ross's duel with Monk was really his taking revenge on Hugh. Here is what Caroline said in TAT:

"Ross, when you fought Monk Adderley, it was not really him you were killing, was it.’ ‘Wasn’t it?’ ‘No . . . it was Hugh Armitage.’ He took a gulp of wine this time. ‘Damn you, Caroline, it was a plain straightforward duel—’ ‘It was nothing of the sort, and you know it! You killed him because you couldn’t kill Hugh Armitage, who died anyway." If DH does not have the Ross/Caroline exchange, I think we will see Ross's reliving the duel with Monk morphing into Hugh.

message 24: by Bernie (new)

Bernie | 301 comments After rereading TAT and looking at the very final images in the preview for episode 8, it is possible that Demelza's looking at Ross and his looking at her will actually more closely follow what is portrayed in TAT, a more loving conclusion. Here is the passage:

Ross walked home beside his horse. Shock and horror had made his limbs so weak that to go home slowly step by step with Sheridan beside him was more instinct than choice. ... Something moved. ‘Is it you, Ross?’ ‘Demelza,’ he said. ‘What are you doing here?’ ‘I thought to come this far – just to watch for you . . . Why are you walking?’ ‘I – wished to take my time.’ She said: ‘I know what’s happened. Caroline sent Myners over to tell us.’ ‘I’m glad you know.’ They turned and began to walk back. She said: ‘I’m that grieved.’ He said: ‘Let us not talk about it.’ They went down the valley. As soon as they reached home she went in and hustled the children out of the parlour, and he sat before the fire and drank the brandy she brought. She helped him off with his boots. ‘Do you want to be alone?’ ‘Not if you’ll stay."

message 25: by Trev (new)

Trev | 114 comments Bernie wrote: "Another section of TAT that has been left out was Demelza's feelings about the duel, and how it impacted her feeling for Ross. Here is what she thought:

"Demelza looked at Ross, his drawn face, th..."

Bernie said "If DH does not have the Ross/Caroline exchange, I think we will see Ross's reliving the duel with Monk morphing into Hugh."

In TAT Caroline's conversation makes Ross think about his reasons for duelling with Monk. There is a possibility that both the conversation and the dream could happen in episode 8. He might even dream about Caroline and the duel but perhaps my imagination is overheating.

It is interesting that in TAT Caroline never says to Demelza that Ross' actions re the duel were because of Hugh. Demelza only blames herself for the way she behaved with Monk, she doesn't link Monk's killing to her infidelity. If Demelza does link the duel with Hugh in episode 8 it will be another DH interpretation that I would like to see.

Stella's post showing DH saying that Ross and Demelza are in 'a very different place by the end of the series' sounds positive if she is comparing them to where they were in episode 1. However, it really tells us nothing because 'a different place' could mean hugging each other lovingly or literally in a different place to each other with Demelza having left Nampara.

message 26: by Stella (new)

Stella Day | 391 comments Sara wrote: "The flashbacks? Well.... something big is happening in the next episode... like your life flashing before your eyes kind of thing."
That was my understanding of 'flashbacks' - and probably mainly Ross' flashbacks of Elizabeth - perhaps Demelza's life too.

message 27: by Ken (new)

Ken Cummins | 353 comments Things were changed in Ep7......... Book Demelza invited Monk to see her again after he felt her breast, and made the rude comment about a gentleman only leaving after he'd been in. When Monk mentioned he might wait on her again, Demelaz replied,"Please Do" Debbie changed it to "I think not"(Demelza protection)
The note she wrote Ross when she left was signed Love Demelza in the book, but not mentioned in the series.
A biggie for me was having Ross repay the 10 guineas in front of Demelza and the Enys.... Are we to believe none of the 4 are curious what the bet was?, or why George reacted so violently?
It appears to me that DH is writing her own Poldark 7.5 for next season..... I wonder if she'll have it published?
In the teaser I think Demelza is trying to hold Ross back from visiting George, not Elizabeth.... I think he finally realized what the bet was about. I still don't understand why George was on Ross' beach in last year's finale, It made no sense unless he saw Demelza and Hugh on the beach. I don't think he did, because he told Monk, Demelza was a virtuous woman.

If there is a darker side to Ross, It's because of Demelza's adultery with Hugh and nothing else. Surely she realizes Monk is another repercussion of her decision to cheat.

So much for Debbie staying close to the book. haha Many of my friends I post with elsewhere are not interested in watching a whole season of Debbie flying by the seat of her pants.

message 28: by Trev (last edited Jul 26, 2018 09:31AM) (new)

Trev | 114 comments Ken wrote: "Things were changed in Ep7......... Book Demelza invited Monk to see her again after he felt her breast, and made the rude comment about a gentleman only leaving after he'd been in. When Monk menti..."

Ken - Demelza has never understood Ross' feelings after her adultery, she just can't empathise with him - unlike Caroline. Demelza needs someone to spell it out for her. That is why Ross felt so disillusioned for such a long time.

If Debbie writes 7.5 and there is nothing in series 5 to relate to the books, I'm not sure if it will be worth watching. Won't WG be turning in his grave after what happened last time?

message 29: by Ken (new)

Ken Cummins | 353 comments Trev wrote: "Ken - Demelza has never understood Ross' feelings after her adultery.."
Trev, how could she not understand, after the grief she went through after his night with Elizabeth? Again, I think Debbie made a mistake writing the "Not-Angry Tide" Ross appeared to be the one groveling to get back in Demelza's good graces, after she was unfaithful.
Your so right about WG ..... He might even sue, if he was alive. He was very unhappy about the 75" version, so this one would be "over the top". I think DH is overestimating the excitement book readers would have to a big "cliff hanger" this season. I guess she's throwing out the faithfulness to the books.
Maybe she'll have Ross be a stay at home dad, and Demelze will run for MP.

message 30: by Stella (new)

Stella Day | 391 comments I agree that a whole series of only DH's own work is not something I look forward to. There is, of course, some material in the later books from which she can draw to give the series some connection to the books but will be insufficient to say the least.

If we look at the alternative - to base series 5 on TSFTS and TMD that will also be unsatisfactory as TMD is not at all a satisfactory place to end what could be no more. I think Mammoth and the BBC should go ahead with books 8 and 9 and find another actor to play Ross. I understand all the other actors are happy to continue.

message 31: by Doug (new)

Doug Whitney | 41 comments Despite all the speculation about an unhappy ending to Season 4 for R and D, mine included, I'm inclined to think it will end along the same lines as Season 3, that is a lot of angst but ending on a tender moment between R and D to give the viewers some hope for the future.

message 32: by Trev (new)

Trev | 114 comments Doug wrote: "Despite all the speculation about an unhappy ending to Season 4 for R and D, mine included, I'm inclined to think it will end along the same lines as Season 3, that is a lot of angst but ending on ..."

I think you are probably right Doug. We might find out from the ending whether DH intends to carry on from that point in series 5 or move on to the later books.

message 33: by Stella (new)

Stella Day | 391 comments Trev wrote: "Doug wrote: "Despite all the speculation about an unhappy ending to Season 4 for R and D, mine included, I'm inclined to think it will end along the same lines as Season 3, that is a lot of angst b..."

I, too think Doug is right about the sort of ending we will get. DH has said that she thinks the viewers will like the ending so I cannot think it will end unhappily. DH is repeatedly quoted as saying they will announce at the end of series 4 the basis for series 5. Thank God for the books I say. If it were not for them we should all go mad!!!

message 34: by Sara (new)

Sara Lag | 8 comments I am looking forward to EP8, even though I read the books, I am pretty certain I know what will happen. Knowing what will happen has not diminished enjoying the series overall.

It's an excellent series, even with Debbie's changes and combining of characters, etc. The acting, editing, costuming, music is fantastic.

I hope S5 will jump ahead 10 years like the books. My only fear is that they try to cram everything into 8 episodes. All those storylines are fascinating.

message 35: by Trev (last edited Jul 27, 2018 03:13AM) (new)

Trev | 114 comments Mock Turtle wrote: "I also agree with Doug. I think there is going to be a lot of angst, lots of flashbacks to a younger Elizabeth, and then ultimately a tender, hopeful moment for R&D right at the end.

I wonder if t..."

It interests me that in this series Ross' anger has all been displayed away from Demelza. Was this a deliberate decision by DH? It certainly wasn't like that in the book. Was his change of character in the money throwing scene due to the fact that Demelza was looking on? Why has Ross' anger been subverted in this way? Even his words about Monk trying to cuckold him ended in asking for forgiveness. I expected a ding dong argument but instead it was just a sulk, a reprimand and an apology.

And on the subject of apologies, even though episode eight is my last chance saloon, I will still hope for some sort of apology from Demelza for her betrayal of trust and being the catalyst of the angry tide.

message 36: by Ken (new)

Ken Cummins | 353 comments I wish in the finale Demelza would tell Ross she regrets her relationship with Hugh effected their marriage, that wasn't her intent.... She needs to confess nothing and Ross won't ask, or he would have by now. She has to see Ross has no trust in her or the marriage. How could she go on like that?
I think the finale will be close to the book. The flashbacks will be used to show what the characters are thinking, thank God Armitage is not listed in the credits. haha
Next season will be total guess work if DH does the gap between the books (which I think she will)... We'll have to come up with a name for Poldark 7.5. I've resigned myself to the fact anything that puts Demelza or her relationship with Hugh in a bad light will not be present in the adaptation. Like her comment about that time pulling at her heart strings and not wanting it back.

message 37: by Stella (new)

Stella Day | 391 comments Ken wrote: "I wish in the finale Demelza would tell Ross she regrets her relationship with Hugh effected their marriage, that wasn't her intent.... She needs to confess nothing and Ross won't ask, or he would ..."

Oh I wish the same that Demelza would give some reassurance to Ross. He deserves that. He was honest and open about his night with E but Demelza has kept her fling with Hugh totally secret. She needs to say much more to reassure Ross of her deep love for him and that Hugh was a fling.

I dread series 5. It will probably be a horrible series to end on. Perhaps it would be better to end it now unless there is any certainty that the productions will be resumed after only a few years break. Letting ten years go by and then picking up from there is pointless and wouldn't happen anyway. Some viewers may not even be alive in 10 years.

message 38: by Ken (new)

Ken Cummins | 353 comments Stella wrote: "Ken wrote: "I wish in the finale Demelza would tell Ross she regrets her relationship with Hugh effected their marriage, that wasn't her intent.... She needs to confess nothing and Ross won't ask, ..."
Stella, I've only read part of the last 5 books...... there's no doubt in my mind I will enjoy WG's version much more than Debbie's.
Where do you think Morwenna is staying?
I got interested in confinement that happened to Victorian women that were pregnant..... I knew it was high, but 1 out of 3 died during child bearing years.
I think George kicking Liz out will be the final straw in her decision to take the potion.
Demelza is going to feel bad she left London with only a note. Maybe the talk between Demelza and Ross is what we're waiting for.

message 39: by Trev (new)

Trev | 114 comments Ken wrote: "Stella wrote: "Ken wrote: "I wish in the finale Demelza would tell Ross she regrets her relationship with Hugh effected their marriage, that wasn't her intent.... She needs to confess nothing and R..."

Having rereading TAT I notice that Demelza says sorry (at least twice) and 'forgive me' to Monk Adderley, but Ross only gets one sorry and a desperate plea of 'did I do right?' after she left him penniless depositing all the money in Pascoe's bank.

If series Demelza regrets her flight from London as well as her sands escapade with Hugh, it would be fitting that she admits to Ross in the finale that she is at least partly to blame for their estrangement, there has been too much one way traffic of apology from Ross.

I think Morwenna is just wandering around waiting to go to Trenwith, but I don't think Elizabeth has arrived back in Corwall yet has she?

Will it be the cliff top talk that the series ends on? If so DH will have to switch things around a bit.

message 40: by Bernie (new)

Bernie | 301 comments Ken, but Hugh is listed in the episode 8 credits towards the bottom of the list. My guess is that it will be Ross dream of the person he killed morphing from Monk to Hugh. I doubt it will be a Demelza flashback because it would make a lie out if her assurance to Ross that she was not grieving for Hugh. She may be angry at Ross for what happened with Monk but London was her honeymoon with Ross.

message 41: by Ken (last edited Jul 27, 2018 10:03PM) (new)

Ken Cummins | 353 comments Bernie wrote: "Ken, but Hugh is listed in the episode 8 credits towards the bottom of the list. My guess is that it will be Ross dream of the person he killed morphing from Monk to Hugh. I doubt it will be a Deme..."
Bernie, Whitehouse isn't listed on the IMDB page I'm looking at, send a link....
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7297716/...
Did Demelza take Monks flowers back to Nampara in the coach?

message 42: by Stella (last edited Jul 28, 2018 02:36AM) (new)

Stella Day | 391 comments Stella wrote: "Ken wrote: "I wish in the finale Demelza would tell Ross she regrets her relationship with Hugh effected their marriage, that wasn't her intent.... She needs to confess nothing and Ross won't ask, ..."
Ken - the later books are well worth reading. Many say they are all about the children but I don't agree as there is quite a bit about Ross and Demelza as parents which is interesting. Also their relationship continues and not without problems. There is still plenty of drama and humour and what happens to George is very funny.

I wondered where Morwenna is staying. I think she returns to the vicarage until she goes to see Drake.

I think we are all waiting for the talk between Ross and Demelza and if we don't get it the last episode will be pointless.

message 43: by Stella (new)

Stella Day | 391 comments Ken wrote: "Bernie wrote: "Ken, but Hugh is listed in the episode 8 credits towards the bottom of the list. My guess is that it will be Ross dream of the person he killed morphing from Monk to Hugh. I doubt it..."

The Radio Times does not list Hugh Armitage. We shall have to wait to see.

message 44: by Stella (new)

Stella Day | 391 comments Bernie wrote: "Ken, but Hugh is listed in the episode 8 credits towards the bottom of the list. My guess is that it will be Ross dream of the person he killed morphing from Monk to Hugh. I doubt it will be a Deme..."

Which list are you looking at? He is not listed in the Radio Times.

message 45: by Trev (last edited Jul 28, 2018 03:30AM) (new)

Trev | 114 comments Stella wrote: "Bernie wrote: "Ken, but Hugh is listed in the episode 8 credits towards the bottom of the list. My guess is that it will be Ross dream of the person he killed morphing from Monk to Hugh. I doubt it..."

Stella, Ken - Hugh is listed on the BBC website for episode 8.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bf...

Maybe it's a ghost listing and Demelza will have an out of this world experience!

message 46: by Stella (new)

Stella Day | 391 comments Trev wrote: "Stella wrote: "Bernie wrote: "Ken, but Hugh is listed in the episode 8 credits towards the bottom of the list. My guess is that it will be Ross dream of the person he killed morphing from Monk to H..."

So he is! Well the Radio Times is unreliable. I just hope DH has not taken up precious time with loads of flashbacks. That would really ruin episode 8!!! Not long to wait now to find out.

message 47: by Ken (new)

Ken Cummins | 353 comments Stella wrote: "Trev wrote: "Stella wrote: "Bernie wrote: "Ken, but Hugh is listed in the episode 8 credits towards the bottom of the list. My guess is that it will be Ross dream of the person he killed morphing f..."

Thanks Stella..... I use to think IMDB was the most reliable source.... Maybe is will be a scene with Demelza..... Monk morphing into Hugh might be a bit cheesy.....
I wonder what the flash back to Francis and Agatha will be?
Thanks Trev, I thought it was strange all the major characters would make a curtain call and the one who initiated the disharmony was omitted....
I wonder if they just used old footage or filmed new scenes with the dead characters?