Poldark Saga - Winston Graham discussion

TV adaptation > Season 4 - Episode 6

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tanya, Moderator/Hostess (new)

Tanya | 640 comments Mod
Welcoming comments for Season 4 - Episode 6 (2018)

message 2: by Ken (new)

Ken Cummins | 353 comments Overall a well done episode, even though it was a bit George heavy.... Looks like 7 is going to be Monk heavy.... I can't believe Debbie's doing all of Monk in one episode.

message 3: by Stella (last edited Jul 15, 2018 04:49PM) (new)

Stella Day | 391 comments Ken wrote: "Overall a well done episode, even though it was a bit George heavy.... Looks like 7 is going to be Monk heavy.... I can't believe Debbie's doing all of Monk in one episode."

I agree that this was a good episode but crammed and fear that the last two episodes will be even more crammed. There is still a lot to show. I don't like the contact Ross is having with Elizabeth which isn't in the books; it's taking up time that needs spending on other aspects of TAT. The ending was lovely.

message 4: by Ken (new)

Ken Cummins | 353 comments Stella wrote: " I don't like the contact Ross is having with Elizabeth which isn't in the books; it's taking up time that needs spending on other aspects of TAT. The ending was lovely. .."

I agree Stella..... Debbie is manufacturing the Ross/Elizabeth scenes to hype up the drama for episode 8. I think your correct in the last two episodes being crammed... she has the party, Monk, Ross/Caroline trip home, Liz, and Morwenna/Drake yet to cover. I can't believe we're down to 2. It was good to see Dwight/Caroline and Ross/Demelza make up for a change.

message 5: by Val (last edited Jul 15, 2018 05:50PM) (new)

Val Ivey | 50 comments Ken wrote: "Overall a well done episode, even though it was a bit George heavy.... Looks like 7 is going to be Monk heavy.... I can't believe Debbie's doing all of Monk in one episode."

I'm of the mind that you'll not need but one episode if the book is an indicator. Monk meets Demelza on page 395, and by 445 "Monk (has) died!"

I agree with all of you, the episode was good. It was quite lovely.

message 6: by Trev (last edited Jul 16, 2018 07:46AM) (new)

Trev | 114 comments I agree with the previous posters' comments, episode six was pretty faithful to the book with a number of direct quotes. A couple of my favourite bits were missing, such as Hugh Bodrugan chasing Demelza around the Nampara parlour in his 'kiss for information quest.' Zacky was the bearer of bad news instead.
I was glad that Demelza didn't get out her poems, although she did visit Lord Falmouth's. However, she didn't even try to sneak even one look at that portrait behind her, instead she told a fat lie to her husband's patron, who must have forgiven her because of all that nursing she did a couple of years previously.
Sam squaring up to Tom Harry or anyone else for that matter always makes me laugh and Drake has become a little bit too whimpering for my liking.
I agree that the Ross/Elizabeth relationship seemed just a little bit too cosy and overworked and yet almost scene of the week for me was when Ross met Valentine. All those expressive looks between Ross and Elizabeth told us everything about what they were thinking.
But I agree with Stella that the last scene was the best and straight out of the book. But really Ross, extending that one hour to two....your toast and rolls would surely be cold!

message 7: by Stella (new)

Stella Day | 391 comments Trev wrote "But I agree with Stella that the last scene was the best and straight out of the book. But really Ross, extending that one hour to two....your toast and rolls would surely be cold! "

Ah yes the toast and rolls would be cold but they wouldn't care about that after one or two hours ;)

message 8: by Drush76 (last edited Feb 28, 2019 05:09PM) (new)

Drush76 | 16 comments This SUCKS. Debbie Horsfield's adaptation of "The Angry Tide" SUCKS. She transformed a well written historical drama and turned it into a second-rate romance novel with occasional bouts of politics. Ross Poldark has become this sanctimonious do gooder who saves nearly everyone. And Horsfield has him being friendly with Elizabeth again. In the novel, she WANTED NOTHING TO DO WITH HIM after the rape and after he had failed to express any genuine remorse for the rape.

She has made one of Graham's best novels toothless. I'm too disgusted to go any further.

message 9: by Stella (new)

Stella Day | 391 comments Drush76 wrote: "This SUCKS. Debbie Horsfield's adaptation of "The Angry Tide" SUCKS. She transformed a well written historical drama and turned it into a second-rate romance novel with occasional bouts of politics..."

I think there have been a few good bits in all of the four series, apart from series 3 which I thought was really bad. Horsfield changed the characters to such an extent that I didn't recognised them. Thank goodness we have the books! I agree that the relationship between Ross and Elizabeth, broken off in The Black Moon' was, in the series, manufactured into something that continued and this did not work at all. Demelza's character was changed very considerably in series 3 which spoiled all enjoyment for me. We do have the books though and I am thankful for that.