Poldark Saga - Winston Graham discussion

TV adaptation > Season 4 - Episode 5

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tanya, Moderator/Hostess (new)

Tanya | 640 comments Mod
Welcoming comments for Season 4 - Episode 5 (2018)

message 2: by Ken (new)

Ken Cummins | 353 comments Happy Poldark Day, all........ Big episode coming... The British rags are speculating a hook up in the apple orchard between Demelza and Dwight (that's in keeping with the "Eden" theme, anyway)..... probably a 3-way with Caroline, Monk, and Ross. haha
Of course Ozzie will contract "Hoof in Mouth" disease. :))

Just a few hours to go... I wonder if Demelza will continue her "save the world" campaign??....

message 3: by Ken (new)

Ken Cummins | 353 comments I use to think Debbie was a Demelza apologist, happy with writing Demelza not taking responsibility for her actions, but the way she wrote this makes Demelza look bad, telling Drake an hour before. Drake and Sam both told Demelza she was wrong to say something.... Then Rosina said the same in a way.
In the book Drake learned about Ozzie's death from a tinker that came by the forge on Saturday the day before the wedding, and went to talk to Rosina that night, telling her he couldn't marry her. Demelza learned of it on Sunday the day of the wedding from Sam. She was upset about Drake not following through with his promise. The way Debbie wrote it makes Drake and Demelza look at fault...WHY??

Ross had an excellent and thoughtful talk with Caroline.... exactly what she needed to hear
"did I tell you how she died in my arms?
How I watched her..... take her last breath?
I could not conceive how the life could go out of her...
When the day before I'd..... danced her on my knee.
We are taught to be strong, to betray no weakness, but that night I learned to be strong IS weakness.
Pain should not be avoided.
Tears must fall

One of the best scenes Debbie has written for Ross in a long time.
Over all I thought the episode was very well done, and most of Debbie's additions complimented the book.

message 4: by Bernie (new)

Bernie | 301 comments Ken wrote: "Over all I thought the episode was very well done, and most of Debbie's additions complimented the book...."

Well said and I agree. The first time in a very long time the name Hugh was not mentioned by anyone. How long will that last?

message 5: by Stella (new)

Stella Day | 391 comments Ken wrote: "I use to think Debbie was a Demelza apologist, happy with writing Demelza not taking responsibility for her actions, but the way she wrote this makes Demelza look bad, telling Drake an hour before...."

An excellent review of episode 5 which I too thought was very well done, including the portrayal of Morwenna's utter despair and breakdown.
It was good to see George not getting his way for once. haha

message 6: by Stella (new)

Stella Day | 391 comments I posted this question to Debbie Horsfield a few weeks ago. "Is there any chance that the Poldark series will continue if Aidan Turner pulls out after series 5?"

She has replied "Aidan, Eleanor and the rest of the cast were only ever contracted for five series. And, to be honest, we never in our wildest dreams imagined the show would be so popular that we'd be having conversations about a potential "beyond series 5!" The BBC only ever commissions one series at a time and at this moment in time there are no plans for anything beyond series 5. Having said that, there are, as we all know, more books - so no one is ruling out a return to Cornwall further down the line."

These are carefully chosen words which give some hope but say very little. However I thought people on this forum might be interested to know that nothing is being ruled out yet.

message 7: by H.E. (new)

H.E. Bulstrode (goodreadscomhebulstrode) | 3 comments Ken wrote: "I use to think Debbie was a Demelza apologist, happy with writing Demelza not taking responsibility for her actions, but the way she wrote this makes Demelza look bad, telling Drake an hour before...."

Poor Drake Carne's torments never seem to end. Having not read the books that the current series is based on, I was surprised to learn that Debbie Horsfield had chosen to make Demelza culpable in leading Drake to brake off his marriage to Rosina. That said, this alteration to the original story still worked well.

message 8: by Trev (last edited Jul 09, 2018 09:44AM) (new)

Trev | 114 comments H.E. wrote: "Ken wrote: "I use to think Debbie was a Demelza apologist, happy with writing Demelza not taking responsibility for her actions, but the way she wrote this makes Demelza look bad, telling Drake an ..."

I too thought it was a very good episode, staying close to the book and only diverting in a few but important ways.
I thought it was significant that Demelza's reason for telling Drake about Ossie's death was so that he wouldn't blame her, pulling her back from the brink of saddling him with a marriage he never wanted. In the book she regrets her matchmaking because of the trouble it brings to Drake and is one of a series of misfortunes she can hardly bear while Ross is in London.

It seems that DH wants all the men in Cornwall to be kind to their adulterous wives, something that WG clearly thought Rowellla did not deserve even if Demelza might warrant a bit of sympathy. After that period of silence when Arthur got back home I almost thought he was going to say 'Ask me nothing!' I liked the way DH saw fit to equip Arthur with a 'murder weapon' bought with Ossie's' own money.

Although Monk hasn't really begun, he has already started practising his lecherous toothy grin on Caroline, which she seems to like, so I am looking forward to Ross dealing with him already. I agree with Ken that one of the highlights was Ross' talk with Caroline, both characters showed their soft underbellies.

What did Demelza really think about being more suited to Dwight than Ross? They were interrupted, perhaps for the best, before anything more could be said.

Ross' extra quick visit home to get means tested benefits/universal credit working in Cornwall saw Ross and Demelza temporarily abandon the 'fragile marriage syndrome' back at Nampara, but no doubt that will pick up again once Monk gets going London.

I think the spectre of Hugh is always lurking. I caught a glimpse of his portrait when Ross visited Tregothnan, but, if DH stays close to the books, it is quite possible that Demelza will get out her poems in the next episode to remind herself of the 'passion' he had for her. And as for when they are in London, Demelza can't stop talking or being reminded of him so plenty of Hugh in episode 7.... and probably some in 8 as well.

For me it was Morwenna who was the real standout performer in episode 5. Her misery was so appalling, even Ossie's death wasn't enough to bring her any solace. Her words to George and Elizabeth were said with such intensity and her anxiety, when she saw Drake, was so pitiful it was yet another scene that was compelling but very hard to watch.

message 9: by Ken (last edited Jul 09, 2018 07:56AM) (new)

Ken Cummins | 353 comments Trev wrote: "H.E. wrote: "Ken wrote: "I use to think Debbie was a Demelza apologist, happy with writing Demelza not taking responsibility for her actions, but the way she wrote this makes Demelza look bad, tell..."
Excellent post Trev..... Like you I was waiting for Arthur to swing... Debbie actually put Howella back in charge of her future by giving her the knowledge of the murder weapon. Emasculating yet another cuckold husband.
Even Elizabeth is barking orders to George...

The teasing of something more happening between Dwight and Demelza was subtle, and inserted to offset the talk Caroline will have with Ross
Debbie even had Demelza ware her "Hugh Frak Frock" to visit Dwight in the garden and get her sympathy hug. I thought Prudy's comment about "Taint proper" referred to Dwight's query of Demelza being a better match for him.

One thing missing for me is Demelza writing letters to Caroline.... Ross is supporting C but nothing from D yet.... Didn't she say she Caroline was her best friend to Ross? Demelza experienced the loss of Julia, so she should be more involved with Caroline's grief, and could be a great help, I didn't hear her ask Ross how C was doing........ Demelza certainly used Caroline's shoulder when Hugh died. It makes Demelza look a bit selfish to me.... So did telling Drake about Ozzie's death, it was all about Drake not hating her. I guess her estrangement with Ross has made her realize what she does matters.

I agree Morwenna gets the star on this episode, I loved her talk with G&L
Man that girl has an arm... she winged that bracelet into deep water underhanded, it must have gone 75 yards. lol

message 10: by Sonia (new)

Sonia Koonce | 85 comments Stella wrote: "I posted this question to Debbie Horsfield a few weeks ago. "Is there any chance that the Poldark series will continue if Aidan Turner pulls out after series 5?"

She has replied "Aidan, Eleanor an..."

If there should be a series 6, No one can replace "Ross and " Demelza" and they are in the books at the very end, oh nor George either. If this series four covers book 7 The Angry Tide, I wonder which books will be in series 5. I am re reading book 7. (Spoiler) Has the demise of the horrible Vicar happened yet, hope it is as good as in the book ☺

message 11: by Trev (last edited Jul 11, 2018 10:01AM) (new)

Trev | 114 comments Sonia wrote: "Stella wrote: "I posted this question to Debbie Horsfield a few weeks ago. "Is there any chance that the Poldark series will continue if Aidan Turner pulls out after series 5?"

She has replied "Ai..."

Sonia - It wouldn't be the same without ET and AT I agree but they both now seem resigned to the fact that they will finish (for now at least) after series 5. Here is a recent link to Cornwall Live - Both DH and ET talked about what might happen in the future.
https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cel...
I am still puzzled about series five and AT saying he doesn't want to play a much older Ross at this moment in time - surely he will have to. When the 1976 series finished with the end of the Angry Tide, the BBC wanted to continue by making up some stories of their own but Winston Graham said no. They don't have to that this time but with less than two months before they are supposed to start filming series 5, I would have thought that something would have leaked out by now.
Oh, and as for Ossie - Yes he has just gone in this episode (5) and it was almost the same as in the book.

message 12: by Stella (last edited Jul 11, 2018 11:45AM) (new)

Stella Day | 391 comments Trev wrote: "Sonia wrote: "Stella wrote: "I posted this question to Debbie Horsfield a few weeks ago. "Is there any chance that the Poldark series will continue if Aidan Turner pulls out after series 5?"

Debbie H has said very recently that more information will be given out once series 4 has aired. Specifically they will tell us on which books series 5 will be based. There will probably be a pause after series 5 but DH's replies to various posts to her recently say that nothing has been decided. Aidan and Eleanor would have to sign new contracts after series 5 so Aidan can pull out then and looks like doing that. I have been to see the play he is in at the Noel Coward theatre in London. He looks very happy doing theatre and I think he wants to do more and take a break from the 6 month commitment to filming Poldark. I also think he wants more of a private/social life with his new love, Caitlin Fitzgerald.

message 13: by Bernie (new)

Bernie | 301 comments I thought that some might like to see my summary of season 4.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hJB...

message 14: by Ken (new)

Ken Cummins | 353 comments Bernie wrote: "I thought that some might like to see my summary of season 4.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hJB..."

Well done my friend.

message 15: by Stella (new)

Stella Day | 391 comments Bernie wrote: "I thought that some might like to see my summary of season 4.

Beautiful and very well crafted. Thank you Bernie.

message 16: by Trev (last edited Jul 14, 2018 01:28PM) (new)

Trev | 114 comments Bernie wrote: "I thought that some might like to see my summary of season 4.

Excellent Bernie and a great summary.

Demelza's quick dismissal of her love affair with Hugh as - 'a handsome young poet beguiled me and I him - and that's the end of it,' made me remember that that the origin of 'beguiled' is the Middle English for deceive. Look it up in a dictionary/ thesaurus and you get:-
- fool, trick, take in, cheat, con (informal), mislead, impose on, deceive, dupe, gull (archaic), delude, bamboozle, hoodwink, take for a ride
In modern times we also use the word in a less sinister way such as charm or attract but would it have been used like that in the eighteenth century?

Here is an appropriate usage from Dr Johnson's dictionary of 1755

'I fear lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. 2 Cor. xi. 3.'

Is that what Demelza really meant?

message 17: by Ken (new)

Ken Cummins | 353 comments Trev wrote: "made me remember that that the origin of 'beguiled' is the Middle English for deceive. Look it up in a dictionary/ thesaurus and you get:-
- fool, trick, take in, cheat, con (informal), mislead, impose on, deceive, dupe, gull (archaic), delude, bamboozle, hoodwink, take for a ride ..."

I think Demelza knows she made a mistake, even though she hasn't discussed it with Ross. Words have different meanings according to time periods, and we don't pay enough attention to word choice. That's giving Debbie a lot of credit for her choice of words, in this case I think it's on purpose.

message 18: by Sonia (new)

Sonia Koonce | 85 comments Ross and Demelza to the very end. That is a great summary. I haven't seen Series four yet. USA Sept. 30th.

message 19: by Bernie (new)

Bernie | 301 comments Notice that Hugh’s favorite word seems to be “I”. —-I may go; I tasted heaven; I love you again. Never a thought of what might be best for the women he says he loves.

message 20: by Bernie (last edited Jul 15, 2018 08:55PM) (new)

Bernie | 301 comments Trev wrote: "made me remember that that the origin of 'beguiled' is the Middle English for deceive. Look it up in a dictionary/ thesaurus and you get:-
- fool, trick, take in, cheat, con (informal), mislead, impose on, deceive, dupe, gull (archaic), delude, bamboozle, hoodwink, take for a ride ... Here is an appropriate usage from Dr Johnson's dictionary of 1755

'I fear lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted ..."

I don't think that Demelza would have thought of beguiled in the Middle English way especially since she said that that she too had beguiled Hugh, BUT I certainly do and did. I particularly noted your quote of Dr. Johnson's use of the word in 1755, which was almost contemporary with the time of the Poldark saga, and my previous post that saw Hugh as the reincarnate of the biblical serpent of the garden of Eden.

Here is my previous post:

Looking back on this last season DH seems to have painted a compelling picture of Hugh Armitage as an earnest young man hopeless in love with Demelza, himself torn between that love and desire, and his respect, gratitude and friendship for Ross. I believe a more careful consideration of his words makes the case that he is an evil person of, if you will, biblical proportions; the personification of the serpent from the Garden of Eden. Moreover, it is DH, herself that first suggest such a comparison with the exchange between Demelza and Hugh from S3E7. When Hugh approaches Demelza as other guests are bowling in the hall, he notices some flowers and says, "Blooms from the Garden of Eden. But where lurks Eve?) And, (she says) where the snake?" The answer to Demelza's question is, "right in front of you."

From Genesis 3 we know it is the serpent (snake) that temps Eve with the first recorded lie. Roughly, here is the verse: "Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals God had made. The serpent said to Eve, "Did God really say, 'You must not eat from any tree in the garden'? The Eve said not exactly, but "God did say, 'You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.'" The serpent then lies to Eve when he says, "You will not certainly die. For God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil," and Eve eats the fruit of the forbidden tree.

From S3E9, here is the exchange between Hugh and Demelza, which likewise is full of lies: (H) (Ross) is great man, my savior and friend. But you are, …. (D) His wife and mother of his children. (H) And I have no wish to threaten them. (D) I would not allow it. (H) Your head may not, but would your heart? It is to the heart that I now appeal. The heart which, dare I say it, has been neglected. Can you allow me this, shall we grant ourselves to each other so that I am go into the darkness knowing that I … I once tasted heaven?

Hugh first praises Ross and then when Demelza reminds him that she is his wife and mother of his children he says he has no wish to threaten that, but does he mean what he says. Of course not, because when she says that, he says, that is from your head, not your heart, and moves in for the kill. Earlier he played the, "I am going blind card," to move her to hold his hand in public, now he plays it again to get what he wants, his "taste of heaven."

Hugh's afternoon of lies starts with the first words out of his month. He tells Demelza that he abandoned his squadron and came to her to show his love, then he admits that was not true, that he was dismissed from the Navy because he was going blind. The he tells her that he respects Ross as his savior and friend, and that he would not threaten tranquility of her family, and that was not true because he presses her for sexual favors by telling her that her defense of her family is from her head, not her heart. Then he plays the pity card again to get what he wants. She was as foolish as Eve, who believed the serpent and set aside what she knew was right. And, if you look at her in the last scene of season 3, when she goes back to Ross later that evening, she knows that what she did was not right.

To take the biblical analogy just a little further, I suspect that night Hugh had about as much remorse or concern for the consequences for what had happen that day, as the serpent had for Eve taking a bite of that apple. It fell to God to punch the serpent, I wonder who and how Hugh will be punish? We also know that there were dire consequences for Eve and Adam for what she did, and if what WG wrote in The Angry Tide is carried through in season 4, there will be dire consequences for Demelza and Ross.

One further point about seeing Hugh as the biblical serpent of the Garden of Eden, in the Hebrew tradition the serpent represents "sexual desire" which Wikipedia defines as "a wish, need or drive to seek out sexual objects or to engage in sexual activities." What could be more apropos of Hugh."

Considering what we now know from season 4, Hugh's lies continues. Hugh had asked Demelza to grant him her body once so that he could go into the darkness knowing he had once tasted heaven. Immediately after taking her, he tells her that once was not enough to satisfy him. She asks him never speak of this again, and he not only ignores her request, but writes about it and presses her for more. She tells him they should not meet again, and he decides to lay the big guilt trip on her by telling her if he cannot have her again, she will be responsible for his death. Even on his death bed he tells her that only she can save him by agreeing to "give him hope" --- he can survive if she will agree to continue to have sex with him. When she says no he reminds her that he already had her body and sole.

Demelza tells Ross that what she felt for Hugh was not love, although he did touch her heart. It is clear to me and I believe Ross that what she felt for him was pure lust--- Hugh is the new, young and more beautiful swan. She says as much in her, I want to be two people speech, and carried what she said there through to the letter. She had her day with Hugh. As she said she would be, she was satisfied with only one encounter because she knew who her true love was, and said, if Ross was patient, she would looked at him again with desire, which she did. What she didn't get was this encounter with Hugh without the guilt, and it almost laid waist to her marriage. If she had been married to Ken, for example, it would have been all over and she would have been out on the street.

message 21: by Stella (new)

Stella Day | 391 comments Bernie wrote: "Trev wrote: "made me remember that that the origin of 'beguiled' is the Middle English for deceive. Look it up in a dictionary/ thesaurus and you get:-
- fool, trick, take in, cheat, con (informal)..."

A great post Bernie which I enjoyed and learned more from this time round. It has clarified Demelza and Hugh even more for me.

message 22: by Trev (new)

Trev | 114 comments Bernie wrote: "Trev wrote: "made me remember that that the origin of 'beguiled' is the Middle English for deceive. Look it up in a dictionary/ thesaurus and you get:-

Bernie - I agree with all you say about Hugh. I hope the rest of the Poldark audience now realise what a despicable seducer HA really was. Like WG I think DH has been quite subtle in gradually exposing him, but his selfishness was there for all to see, (as you have indicated) even on his deathbed.
There was a similar situation in TFS when Ross and Demelza make their final visit. In front of Ross he says to Demelza 'Mon petit chou.... You're kind to come........' Was Hugh relying on the fact that Ross didn't know enough French to understand that 'Mon petit chou' was a term of endearment almost exclusively reserved for a mistress, or maybe he couldn't care less by that stage?

Yes, Demelza was beguiled by Hugh and It was pleasing to see how quickly DH made her reject him once she realised the mistake she had made.

message 23: by Ken (new)

Ken Cummins | 353 comments Trev wrote: "
Yes, Demelza was beguiled by Hugh and It was pleasing to see how quickly DH made her reject him once she realised the mistake she had made.
,..."

I think that was made even clearer in ep 6 when Demelza got a loan from Lord Flamouth..... Hugh's portrait was in the background but she never looked at it.

message 24: by Stella (new)

Stella Day | 391 comments Ken wrote: "Trev wrote: "
,..."

I think Demelza's realisation of the mistake she had made was much clearer in the production than in the books. I found WG's writing at this stage of the Saga infuriating as he left the reader pretty much not knowing about what was going on with Demelza in relation to Hugh.

message 25: by Trev (new)

Trev | 114 comments Ken wrote: "Trev wrote: "
,..."

I think that was made even clearer i..."

I noticed that too Ken. In fact I took it as a deliberate blanking in favour of her 'new' beau Ross.

message 26: by Val (new)

Val Ivey | 50 comments Ken wrote: "Trev wrote: "made me remember that that the origin of 'beguiled' is the Middle English for deceive. Look it up in a dictionary/ thesaurus and you get:-

I find it interesting that no one I brought up the "Love Song" to Hugh by Demelza at Tregothnan. I never thought of it as a love song as much as I thought of it as a Farwell or Consolation statement. Perhaps it was overlooked by the screen writer, but it clearly says:

"Do not ask me for a smile
Life is short, but love is long.

LET ME NOT YOUR HEART BEGUILE
Pray content you with a song.

Do not ask me for a kiss
Life is short, but love is long.

You may never know that Bliss
So I offer you this song:

DO NOT ASK ME FOR MY HEART
Life is short, but love this long.

KNOWING WE ARE SOON TO PART
CONSOLATION BE MY SONG."

That's pretty much what happened after the tryst.

message 27: by Trev (last edited Jul 16, 2018 01:48PM) (new)

Trev | 114 comments Val wrote: "Ken wrote: "Trev wrote: "made me remember that that the origin of 'beguiled' is the Middle English for deceive. Look it up in a dictionary/ thesaurus and you get:-
- fool, trick, take in, cheat, co..."

Well spotted Val, and I think I agree with you about the sentiments of the song. Such a pity it wasn't a farewell for good at that point.
I wonder who wrote the lyrics - Ann Dudley, Debbie Horsfield, or could they be from a traditional song/poem?

There is the use of 'beguile' in one or two Irish folk songs which I know. 'When Irish eyes are smiling,' is relatively modern (early 1900s), but 'The Parting Glass' has been around much longer although the lyrics used today were introduced in the mid 1800's. There is a lovely version of The Parting Glass on You Tube :-

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0KTQYMm...

by Sinead O'Connor - All the lyrics are there for you to see including the use of 'beguiled.'

message 28: by Stella (new)

Stella Day | 391 comments Trev wrote: "Sonia wrote: "Stella wrote: "I posted this question to Debbie Horsfield a few weeks ago. "Is there any chance that the Poldark series will continue if Aidan Turner pulls out after series 5?"

Debbie H has said very recently that more information will be given out once series 4 has aired. Specifically they will tell us on which books series 5 will be based. There will probably be a pause after series 5 but DH's replies to various posts to her recently say that nothing has been decided. It's in my message 6 above.

message 29: by Val (last edited Jul 16, 2018 04:03PM) (new)

Val Ivey | 50 comments Trev wrote: "There is the use of 'beguile' in one or two Irish folk songs which I know. 'When Irish eyes are smiling,'"

Thank you Trev. Actually I believe that the use of the term is out of context. As I believe it has a negative connotation. I have always thought that to "beguile" was/is to deceive. So when Demelza says to Purdie that she and Hugh sought to "beguile" one another, it was said in such a vane by Demelza that one could rightly think that it a positive circumstance. I was skeptical as to how that was meant. Was she so overcome by the itch of the "terrible attraction" that she'd have agreed to the interlude given any deception (I'm going blind!) or slight of hand ("soon you'll have guide me")? What was her intent to beguile Armitage? We know what his intent was! I believe that she didn't need any extra inducement to get attention from Hugh.

message 30: by Bernie (new)

Bernie | 301 comments I need some help. What did Demelza mean when she said “Tis not in my power.” She just said she “cared” for him and acknowledged that they shared, I am not sure what, a moment of sexual intimacy(?), but how could agreeing to have sex again with him “not be in her power.” Whose power was it in if not hers?

I’m confused.

message 31: by Val (new)

Val Ivey | 50 comments Bernie wrote: "I need some help. What did Demelza mean when she said “Tis not in my power.” \
"

I took it to mean that she could no longer be a lover or mistress to him. That her husband was her priority as were her marriage vows. These attributes of her life would not permit her to have further intimacy with him.

message 32: by Bernie (last edited Jul 17, 2018 02:46AM) (new)

Bernie | 301 comments Val wrote: "I took it to mean that she could no longer be a lover or mistress to him. That her husband was her p..."

Yes, I understand that and that is the third part of her response to Hugh. The first part is her statement of her feelings for him and an acknowledgement of what they did. My problem is her use of the words, "Tis not in my power." In other words, who could saying yes to him. If it was not be in her power did someone else had the power to say yes. The meaning of the whole is clear to me as it is to you, it is just the particular choice of words that DH has Demelza say.

message 33: by Val (new)

Val Ivey | 50 comments Bernie wrote: "Tis not in my power."

Well how about this: Power is attributive and as such Demelza did not have the “Power” or Capability to grant Hugh his wish to further his quest to “possess her, body and soul.” Syntactically, Ms. Horsfield could have used any of several words to convey the same meaning: “energy.” “ability,” “capacity,” etc. There have been other instances where the writer has injected a colloquial phrase that just barely fit a conversation. I believe that Demelza’s utterance was one of these.

message 34: by Trev (new)

Trev | 114 comments Val wrote: "Bernie wrote: "Tis not in my power."

Well how about this: Power is attributive and as such Demelza did not have the “Power” or Capability to grant Hugh his wish to further his quest to “possess h..."

Demelza could have been clearer by saying, 'I made a foolish mistake (by granting ourselves each other) which has jeopardised everything I love and cherish, so nothing in my power will make me do it again.' But that's a rather harsh thing to say to a dying man, so she used a euphemistic (if slightly odd) phrase instead.

message 35: by Stella (new)

Stella Day | 391 comments Bernie wrote: "I need some help. What did Demelza mean when she said “Tis not in my power.” She just said she “cared” for him and acknowledged that they shared, I am not sure what, a moment of sexual intimacy(?),..."

Bernie - I too never understood the meaning of Demelza's choice of words but made the assumption that "not in my power" meant she didn't love him and wanted to keep her marriage. It is a strange phrase though. Perhaps she meant she could not be unfaithful to Ross again. We could try posting this question to DH's agent. I will look for the email address. Here it is cwarrington@theagency.co.uk Would anyone like to email the agent? If enough of us email DH will respond I think.

message 36: by Val (new)

Val Ivey | 50 comments Stella wrote: "Here it is cwarrington@theagency.co.uk Would anyone like to email the agent"

I tried this email address, but unfortunately I got a "Daemon" back immediately. Meaning it doesn't exist. Sorry!