Poldark Saga - Winston Graham discussion

TV adaptation > Season 4 - Episode 2

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tanya, Moderator/Hostess (new)

Tanya | 640 comments Mod
Welcoming comments for Season 4 - Episode 2 (2018)

message 2: by Bernie (last edited Jun 18, 2018 06:45PM) (new)

Bernie | 301 comments As far as I am concerned DH is two for two. After writing series 3 which took us far from WG's books, and changed the personalities of Demelza and Ross, this season she has driven back to the story WG told in the books, and then some. DH has filled in much of the action that we were left to guess about in the The Four Swans. Moreover, after making critical changes to the story in season 3, DH has manage to get us back on track. The biggest change from the book was that Demelza and Hugh's tryst is known to Ross, as he knows with much more certainty that she has developed deep feeling for Hugh. Last season Demelza tells Ross that she wishes she could be two people, one the could love another just for a day without feeling she had betrayed the man she truly loved. She get her day, and the deep destress she shows when she returns to Ross it is clear that things did not play out as she anticipated, she had not only betrayed Ross, and herself.

All of S4,E1 was her settling on the path ahead, with the best summary of what happened and where she saw things going was what she tells Prutie, and especially Hugh---that it is best if they do not see each other again. This week episode tests Demelza's resolve.

The best summary of this week's action is what Demelsa tells Ross after Hugh dies, which very much follows the book, but in which she is more forthcoming---Hugh was in her heart were only before Ross had been, but the love that she and Ross shared is different and greater that what she feels for Hugh. When Ross asks if she loved Hugh, she says no, reserving that word for how she feels about Ross.

I was moved when a very sick Hugh told her that she was the only one who could give him hope for the future, by which I think he meant not only hope for a return to better health, but also to his bed, and too his side. Demelza's answer spoke to her love for Ross, she says that she has great feeling for him, and acknowledges that they shared an intimate moment, but she could not give him the hope he wanted, could not continue the affair.

I was also moved by Ross's words of comfort to Demelza that Hugh's death hurt, this would mend. Not only was he reassuring Demelsa, I think he was reassuring himself, and foreshadowing e3 and the events of The Angry Tide. Ross has been deeply hurt.

In DH's version, up to this point, Ross has blamed himself for "taking Demelza for granted," and pushing her away so she was open to the advances by Hugh. Now, however, seeing the depth of her feeling for Hugh, he has every right to ask, how long has this been going on, and how much has been done behind his back. I think that a case can be made that the secrets that Demelza change him with keeping, pale in comparison with what she has been doing with Hugh. During his time in London his feelings of betrayal by both his wife and his friend will grow into a rising tide of anger and jealousy which will die hard. Demelza will yet come to understand that an important part of the love she share with Ross was the trust and loyalty that she gave to their relationship. It took Ross years to overcome what he he through away with one night with Elizabeth. Now, Demelza had done the same, but with a longer and deeper passion for another. She would pay the price when Ross returns from London.

message 3: by Ken (new)

Ken Cummins | 353 comments https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s19Ke...
A must watch.... very funny

Right off the bat, let me say how happy I am to be apparently wrong on the poll of sex 2.0
Why apparently? If I was Debbie and wanted to throw a curve ball, I would set it up just like she did.
(D) confesses she can't give him what he wants
(H) happy with the treasure of one day
Then I would insert a flash back to the bedside scene showing D caving and sending him off with a "bang"

Why would Debbie do this? simple, lull the viewers into thinking the plot is done and drop a bombshell.... It would ignite discussion and shock readers. If this remote possibility happens it will be before Ross returns from London. we'll see

I thought this was another stellar episode and closer to the book than much of S3..... Still Debbie left out a lot of the great exchange Ross and Demelza had at the end of TFS. She also made Ross conciliatory in the last scene, rather than angry in the book....ie.... "This hurt...It will mend" vs "Leave or stay, just as you wish."
Debbie also gave us Demelza describing her feelings for Hugh as "Not love" So the tryst was.... not revenge .... not love .... about all that's left is pity and lust.

OMG, did Ozzie deep-throat that foot or what? wowzer......
The leeches sucking the "snake" dry, was most definitely a high point for me.

message 4: by Stella (new)

Stella Day | 391 comments I am thoroughly enjoying series 4 and cannot fault it so far. Aidan's acting is superb and his portrayal of Ross who is torn between taking responsibility for What happened between Demelza and Hugh and yet feeling betrayed and badly hurt by Demelza is so credible. The struggle by both of them to cling on to their love is also very well portrayed. Although I am sure there are criticisms but I don't want to go there as I don't want to spoil my enjoyment.

message 5: by Trev (last edited Jun 18, 2018 01:33PM) (new)

Trev | 114 comments Episode 2 followed strongly on from the first with an intention to stay close to the book. I am still reeling a bit at the change from series three but in a happy way. As in the first episode, though, there were some crucial differences to the book. The most important one for me is that Demelza actually chose Ross when Hugh asked her if there was any hope. Her loyalties were not really divided. I agree with Ken that Ross wasn't angry enough both after seeing Demelza concealing the poem and in the penultimate scene when the 'leave or stay' dialogue was missed out. He was more 'new man' than eighteenth century man. I decided to shut series 3 out of my mind so I could believe Demelza when she said 'It came upon me unawares,' it was just good to hear so many quotes and see so many scenes straight from the book. Let's hope it continues.

message 6: by Ken (last edited Jun 18, 2018 04:40PM) (new)

Ken Cummins | 353 comments Trev wrote: "Demelza concealing the poem and in the penultimate scene when the 'leave or stay' dialogue was missed out."

I agree most of the episode was done very well, I was impressed. After my second viewing, it was clear to me she botched the heart to heart upon Demelza's return from Caroline's. There was no angst or anger from R went he saw how emotionally tangled Demelza was with Hugh's death and finding the poem........ It just wasn't Ross.
As we know there were pages WG devoted to Ross' anger when she returned. Ross was really pissed off at her betrayal......... not the pussy-whipped wimp talking about saving the world.
Ross also ask Demelza:
"just tell me what you want?"
'Want?" she said, 'I want nothing'
"Nothing?"
'Nothing more than what I have'
(Ross replies)....... "HAD"

Then the "stay or leave" which finished with this:
(D)"Well," she said, "If you want me to go, I will"
The words rose to his lips to agree that she should leave but they would not come out..... They choked in his throat and congealed in a greater anger.

This was anything but a "lovey-dovie" talk they had, after he saw how emotionally entangled she was in Hugh's death.
For me in the book this scene was the foundation of setting up "The Angry Tide", and Debbie made Ross an understanding boob with "This hurt, it will mend"..... Really Ross, that's all you have to say after reading the poem confirming her adultery and seeing her emotions returning from Caroline's..... wow, I feel cheated.

message 7: by Stella (new)

Stella Day | 391 comments Ken wrote: "Trev wrote: "Demelza concealing the poem and in the penultimate scene when the 'leave or stay' dialogue was missed out."

I agree most of the episode was done very well, I was impressed. After my s..."

Ken - there will always be something to dislike and I shall probably return to all the episodes eventually for a more critical eye on it. Right now, though, I am enjoying it and am therefore prepared to suspend criticism until series 4 has ended. I shall read the criticism but may not get as involved in it as I have in the past until the end.

message 8: by Bernie (last edited Jun 18, 2018 07:29PM) (new)

Bernie | 301 comments Ken wrote: "Debbie made Ross an understanding boob with "This hurt, it will mend"..... Really Ross, that's all you have to say after reading the poem confirming her adultery and seeing her emotions returning from Caroline's..... wow, I feel cheated. ..."

Ken, this is not WG's Ross or Demelza. Ross behaving the way he does in the book would be completely out of place for TV Ross. All through this season Ross has known that Demelza was deeply involved with Hugh. As I previously wrote he is deeply hurt about this whole thing.
(view spoiler)

message 9: by Ken (last edited Jun 19, 2018 08:59AM) (new)

Ken Cummins | 353 comments Bernie wrote: "Ken wrote: "Debbie made Ross an understanding boob with "This hurt, it will mend"..... Really Ross, that's all you have to say after reading the poem confirming her adultery and seeing her emotions..."
Bernie wrote: "Ken wrote: "Debbie made Ross an understanding boob with "This hurt, it will mend"..... Really Ross, that's all you have to say after reading the poem confirming her adultery and seeing her emotions..."
Bernie, I was disquieted that some of the best lines in TFS didn't make the cut. Yes, Ross knew about the deep feelings, but he didn't know how far Demelza allowed Hugh to go until he read the poem and saw her reaction returning from Caroline's. I don't think even series Ross would be passive in that situation, do You?

Here's something interesting, Bernie.... Whitehouse is listed in Ep3... there must be a flash back..oopsi
https://www.bookwitty.com/topic/polda...

message 10: by Trev (new)

Trev | 114 comments Ken wrote: "Bernie wrote: "Ken wrote: "Debbie made Ross an understanding boob with "This hurt, it will mend"..... Really Ross, that's all you have to say after reading the poem confirming her adultery and seei..."

Ken - I may get some flak for this but isn't the DH scene after Demelza comes home from Caroline yet another example of DH not criticising Demelza's actions? Here she is confessing to Ross her betrayal of trust and her deceit to him and he seemingly takes it on the chin saying the hurt will pass. I think the anger part is important because in the book Demelza is made to think that Ross might throw her out and she is relieved when, in her mind anyway, he allows her to stay. That idea is not in the TV version so, apart from the 'Save some tears for me,' which Demelza could interpret in a number of ways, she has no real idea of Ross' state of mind when he leaves for London. So TV Demelza is in for a big shock when he comes back.

message 11: by Ken (new)

Ken Cummins | 353 comments Trev wrote: "Ken wrote: "Bernie wrote: "Ken wrote: "Debbie made Ross an understanding boob with "This hurt, it will mend"..... Really Ross, that's all you have to say after reading the poem confirming her adult..."

You could be right, Trev..... maybe the harshest thing Ross could have done was to be passive. It certainly disarmed her last season when Ross didnt' get mad at her from returning late from her Hugh date.
We may get some of the TFS lines in the long talk planned on Ross' return this coming episode.
I wonder if Debbie plans on only 2 trips vs 3 in the book.

What do you make of the web site about listing Josh in the 3d episode???? Flash back, ghost, ???

message 12: by Trev (new)

Trev | 114 comments Ken wrote: "Trev wrote: "Ken wrote: "Bernie wrote: "Ken wrote: "Debbie made Ross an understanding boob with "This hurt, it will mend"..... Really Ross, that's all you have to say after reading the poem confirm..."

HA is not in the BBC listings for episode 3. Maybe he will come back as a ghost hovering between this world and the next. His last appearance maintained that level of selfishness we have come to expect, he is reluctant to leave the series, even as a corpse. Can you really possess someone's soul once? No - he just added the 'soul' part so that it didn't seem like he was obsessed with Demelza's body.

I think the trips to London may be combined before he takes Demelza. No news on episode 4 yet. One thing we do know, Ross won't be turning the other cheek for much longer.

message 13: by Sonia (new)

Sonia Koonce | 85 comments I cannot keep up with this discussion being as I will have to wait til Sept 30th to watch Series 4. So what books are being filmed for this new series? If there will only be 5 series to finish all books. I am re-reading "Miller's Dance" and T.S.F.T. S books 8 and 9. How many episodes are in series 4?

message 14: by Stella (new)

Stella Day | 391 comments Sonia wrote: "I cannot keep up with this discussion being as I will have to wait til Sept 30th to watch Series 4. So what books are being filmed for this new series? If there will only be 5 series to finish all ..."

There are 8 episodes in series 4 and there will be 8 episodes in series 5. Currently there are discussions taking place between Debbie Horsfield, Mammoth and the BBC about which books should be covered in series 5. We are unlikely to hear more before all of series 4 has aired.

message 15: by Trev (last edited Jun 19, 2018 01:59PM) (new)

Trev | 114 comments Sonia wrote: "I cannot keep up with this discussion being as I will have to wait til Sept 30th to watch Series 4. So what books are being filmed for this new series? If there will only be 5 series to finish all ..."

Sonia - There are 8 episodes in series 4. The first two cover Book 3 of The Four Swans and 3 - 8 cover the whole of The Angry Tide.

message 16: by Sonia (new)

Sonia Koonce | 85 comments Stella wrote: "Sonia wrote: "I cannot keep up with this discussion being as I will have to wait til Sept 30th to watch Series 4. So what books are being filmed for this new series? If there will only be 5 series ..."

Trev wrote: "Sonia wrote: "I cannot keep up with this discussion being as I will have to wait til Sept 30th to watch Series 4. So what books are being filmed for this new series? If there will only be 5 series ..."

Thanks Stella, Now I will re-read "The Angry Tide" so as to compare the book to D,H's Script. I hope Series 5 will cover the rest of the 5 books.

message 17: by Bernie (new)

Bernie | 301 comments Any thoughts of Verity’s visit in E3. In the TAT she shows up twice, first after Ross returns from London and later before Demelza goes to London. Next it appears that she visits Demelza before Ross returns from his first trip. If so for what purpose did DH drop her into the fray here?

message 18: by Stella (new)

Stella Day | 391 comments Bernie wrote: "Any thoughts of Verity’s visit in E3. In the TAT she shows up twice, first after Ross returns from London and later before Demelza goes to London. Next it appears that she visits Demelza before Ros..."

We shall have to see but it's sounding like this is going to be an addition to the book.

message 19: by Ken (last edited Jun 20, 2018 10:39AM) (new)

Ken Cummins | 353 comments Bernie wrote: "Any thoughts of Verity’s visit in E3. In the TAT she shows up twice, first after Ross returns from London and later before Demelza goes to London. Next it appears that she visits Demelza before Ros..."
I'm assuming Verity is on confession duty, unlike the book. There hasn't been the deep reflection of motives DH promised in the Fall. We have a few words to Prudy about "not church", a brief admission to Ross "not love". It's Verity's turn to be a plot device. DH missed a chance with Caroline but likely that's still coming.
Who's Ross going to share his feeling of betrayal with? Monk and the Ho's? :))
After thinking about the structure of the last scene, DH had no time for Ross' anger.... Debbie only had 2 choices... let Ross blow and leave for London with no bye-bye.... or keep him calm and discuss the election(which she still had to fit in the episode).
Ross has a 5 day coach ride to get angry about her "not confession"
Demelza, by hiding Hugh's sex and poems has turned a possible impulsive decision into a deception. So now Ross has to decide if her actions speak louder than words.

message 20: by Bernie (last edited Jun 20, 2018 08:30PM) (new)

Bernie | 301 comments Ken wrote: "So now Ross has to decide if her actions speak louder than words...."
I see it exactly the same. Demelza's confession should gave been very hard for Ross to hear. Admitting that Hugh had touched her heart which is now broken was very hard for me to hear and should have been the same for Hugh.

What "power" did Demelza lack so she could not given Hugh what he wanted? How did you interprete the drop in her voice and her telling Hugh she could not provide him hope?

message 21: by Ken (new)

Ken Cummins | 353 comments Bernie wrote: "Ken wrote: "So now Ross has to decide if her actions speak louder than words...."
I see it exactly the same. Demelza's confession should gave been very hard for Ross to hear. Admitting that Hugh ha..."

I'm still confused what her confession was??? I heard her say she had tears for Hugh.... she had tears for herself... she had tears for Julia, in fact she had tears for the whole broken world.... I didn't hear her say she had tears for Ross, did you?
I know you'll think I'm crazy, but I still believe there's a possibility of a flash back to the bed room next episode....

Yes, she said she didn't have the power to give him hope...... she also said she wouldn't allow him to come between her marriage.
Go ahead and tell me I'm nuts, I can take it. I can feel that "dying mans last wish" casting a shadow.
I have one bag packed for my trip to Scotland, just in case. haha

message 22: by Stella (new)

Stella Day | 391 comments Ken wrote: "Bernie wrote: "Ken wrote: "So now Ross has to decide if her actions speak louder than words...."
I see it exactly the same. Demelza's confession should gave been very hard for Ross to hear. Admitti..."

Demelza did not say she had tears for Ross. Ross had to ask for some of her tears for him because he needed them.
On what do you base your belief that there will be a flashback to the bedroom and the dying man will get his wish? I thought Demelza was very clear about what she said.

message 23: by Trev (last edited Jun 21, 2018 02:17AM) (new)

Trev | 114 comments Bernie wrote: "Ken wrote: "So now Ross has to decide if her actions speak louder than words...."
I see it exactly the same. Demelza's confession should gave been very hard for Ross to hear. Admitting that Hugh ha..."

I was puzzled at first by Demelza saying that giving Hugh hope was 'not in my power.' I then interpreted it as the strength of her love for Ross (which she realised after her adulterous act with Hugh) prevented her from continuing her affair with Hugh. This of course is the TV version not the book version. I wanted her to make this choice in the book, but WG made the choice for her.

In her 'semi-confession', she told Ross it was 'not love.' Her extreme distress at Hugh's bedside and at Caroline's reminded me of the infatuated passion of Natasha Rostova when she was prevented from eloping with the slimy Prince Anatole Kuragin in War and Peace. No, it was not love Demelza, just a 'terrible attraction.'

message 24: by Stella (new)

Stella Day | 391 comments Here is an extract from a recent article about series 4:- "Poldark writer Debbie Horsfield has said the new series of the period drama is the most political yet and has parallels with today's society.

"The hit BBC programme, set in 18th century Cornwall, has recently returned for a fourth series which will see Ross Poldark (Aidan Turner) heading to London to become an MP.

The televisions series is based on novels by Winston Graham, first published in the 1940s, but Horsfield said when she was writing the adaptation it did not need to be updated.

She told Radio Times magazine: "The subjects that Winston Graham was writing about are as relevant now as they were when he first embarked on the saga and as they were in the era that he writes about.

"Take his depiction of the banking industry. Who knew that bankers could be greedy, corrupt and out for themselves?

"Some of the events we depict in series four remain chillingly real today.

For instance, Ross realises that because of food shortages and the price of corn, people can actually be in work and yet still can't afford to eat.

"While I was writing series four, I heard a news item that described how in one part of Liverpool, 80% of the people using food banks had jobs but still couldn't make ends meet. It seems some things don't change."

Horsfield continued: "Even the arguments over welfare are depressingly relevant.

"Ross believes it's in the interests of employers and society to keep people fed, to ensure they're fit to work because they are not starving.

"George Warleggan, typically, asks, 'Where's the incentive to work if we're giving people money?' Another familiar argument."

The writer and producer said period dramas can sometimes feel "prettified or sanitised" but that it was important for the Poldark stories to feel relevant.

She said: "We aimed, for instance, to make the struggles of Ross and his shareholders in the copper-smelting co-operative, or the sometimes impenetrable politics of the 18th century, the stuff of life and death."

Horsfield said while Ross Poldark is "not quite the Jeremy Corbyn of his time", his sympathies are with the common man.

"Being a politician proves to be a huge struggle for Ross - but then, it wouldn't be Poldark if there wasn't a struggle," she said.

message 25: by Bernie (new)

Bernie | 301 comments Ken wrote: "Go ahead and tell me I'm nuts, I can take it. I can feel that "dying mans last wish" casting a shadow...."

Ok, your nuts. It's like you have a personal stake in Demelza's infidelity that is even greater than Hugh. He is resigned to the fact that they are going to make love again even those it is is fondest wish but you are not. Get over it and enjoy the series.

As for Verity's visit, I think that Demelza will pour her heart out to her and tell her that Ross left before she could "really tell him how she feels, that she loves him, ... [and] misses him terribly."

message 26: by Bernie (last edited Jun 21, 2018 04:43AM) (new)

Bernie | 301 comments Trev wrote: "I was puzzled at first by Demelza saying that giving Hugh hope was 'not in my power.' I then interpreted it as the strength of her love for Ross (which she realised after her adulterous act with Hugh) prevented her from continuing her affair with Hugh. ..."

Yes, that is the way I saw it also. That while she cared for him very much, and acknowledged the moment they shared together in the grass, her love for Ross was more powerful than her attraction for Hugh and she could not continue the affair even to save him.

message 27: by Trev (new)

Trev | 114 comments Bernie wrote: "Trev wrote: "I was puzzled at first by Demelza saying that giving Hugh hope was 'not in my power.' I then interpreted it as the strength of her love for Ross (which she realised after her adulterou..."

I have been asking myself why DH decided to include this dialogue within the extra deathbed scene when it seems contrary to Demelza's thoughts in TFS. My first thoughts were about how DH likes to create a dramatic effect by cutting between two highly charged incidents - in this case the election and the dying Hugh. But is it more than that?
In the book, after her encounter with Hugh, Demelza felt that 'It was just a trifle disconcerting that she did not feel very much changed in any way as a result of it.' Contrast that with the way TV Demelza had reacted in episode 1. In the book she did think that if you give away trust and loyalty they are gone forever. However, her parting words to Hugh after the Seal Cave escapade, after being asked when he could see her again were "not, I believe, for a long time" which is very different from her deciding not to see him at all in the TV version. TV Demelza only returned to Hugh because of his worsening illness. My impression of the book was that she still wanted them both and that her divided loyalties would have continued had Hugh not died. The TV version made it clear that Demelza had chosen Ross despite Hugh's deathbed plea. I know that we should consider the books and the TV series as separate entities but what were DH's motives for making the change?

message 28: by Ken (last edited Jun 21, 2018 11:10AM) (new)

Ken Cummins | 353 comments Stella wrote: "On what do you base your belief that there will be a flashback to the bedroom and the dying man will get his wish? I thought Demelza was very clear about what she said..."

Yes Stella, what she said was clear but not said very resolutely.... Let's not forget she also swore not to let Hugh come between her marriage on the dunes, and it's obvious how that turned out.

I've read nothing to back up my feeling that this is a possibility, other than a burp about about DH wanting shake things up for readers and she was shooting for an Emmy.
Wouldn't it be just like her to let the viewers think D's problem was "dead and buried" and flash back to her caving on Hugh's request?............. All my questions will be answered Sunday, because if it is to happen, it has to be before Ross returns..

Wouldn't that confirm the "terrible attraction" theory? The mind is weak but the attraction strong..... If she has the strength to resist this time, why didn't she the first?

Do I think it's likely...NO....Do I think it's possible....Absoulty.

message 29: by Doug (last edited Jun 21, 2018 12:53PM) (new)

Doug Whitney | 41 comments Ken wrote: "Stella wrote: "On what do you base your belief that there will be a flashback to the bedroom and the dying man will get his wish? I thought Demelza was very clear about what she said..."

Yes Stell..."

I think it more likely that Hugh and Demelza will show up together in Ross' imagination as his anger and jealousy fester in London. We saw it once already on the beach in Ep1.

message 30: by Doug (last edited Jun 21, 2018 04:36PM) (new)

Doug Whitney | 41 comments Trev wrote: "Bernie wrote: "Trev wrote: "I was puzzled at first by Demelza saying that giving Hugh hope was 'not in my power.' I then interpreted it as the strength of her love for Ross (which she realised afte..."

DH may have just been uncomfortable that book Demelza never definitively chose Ross over Hugh. Since the beginning of Ep 1 she has been sending the message that Demelza had made a choice and the affair was over despite her feelings for Hugh. I think the choice was made in the time between Demelza's fun in the grass and the time she arrived home late that night looking guilty as hell. The above is consistent with ET and DH public statements as well.

Having said that, I'm not at all sure Demelza's choice wasn't at least partially driven by her realization that she had no practical alternative, even before she knew Hugh was dying, because a continuation of the affair would eventually destroy her marriage. If so, her behavior since the tryst and profession of love for Ross during her partial confession may have been part of her deception. I hope that's not the case. We may never know.

In any case, Ross will be hard to convince.

message 31: by Ken (last edited Jun 22, 2018 08:02AM) (new)

Ken Cummins | 353 comments Doug wrote: "DH may have just been uncomfortable that book Demelza never definitively chose Ross over Hugh. Since the beginning of Ep 1 she has been sending the message that Demelza had made a choice and the affair was over despite her feelings for Hugh ..."

Doug, first let me say my thoughts about book Demelza as a good wife were not shaken by her giving in to Hugh's advances.... She just quite fighting and submitted, fueled by her lust and attraction for the younger man.... I never even considered it would recure. She was a nameless woman taken by a nameless man, and she did not feel in any way changed.... I had no qualms believing her character in the book.

My feeling for series Demelza will hinge on the next episode. If nothing more happened at the bed side, then I will believe Demelza chose her marriage and Ross in spite of her fondness for Hugh. The remorse on her face in ep1 was genuine and so was her admission to Hugh that it wasn't in her power to give him the hump. err hope he wanted. Then I will know she did choose Ross, so her hiding the sex and poems was a kindness to keep him from feeling worse, her emotional betrayal was bad enough without adding detailed thoughts of the physical.... This is what I'm rooting for and hope it comes to pass....

First, I admit scenario 2 is a reach and I doubt Debbie would do this to Demelza's character, because of the damage it would do.
Still I see a possibility... in a flash back to the bed side something more of a sexual nature happens after Demelza says it wasn't in her power.
Now all her confessions that follow are suspect, and the only reason she chose Ross was because he was the last man standing. This would be a deal breaker for me, for Ross to ever trust Demelza again. Demelza would have continued the affair anytime Hugh would have snap his fingers, if he'd survived. Even though Hugh died, it would show her feelings for him were stronger than the pain she was causing Ross.

I truly think Debbie will go with the first scenario. She delayed the tryst in S3, because she knew it would be unpopular. It would have been easy to trim the scenes in France and insert more Hugh in the season, but she waited till the last minute, making the tryst rushed and unbelievable.