What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Civil War Doll found in Tree

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hilary (last edited Jun 18, 2018 06:57AM) (new)

Hilary (renfrew) | 49 comments Juvenile title: I have a patron looking for this book from her childhood (making this book at least 60 years old): A girl finds a Civil War era doll with clothes in the hollow of a tree.

Thanks in advance!

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Jun 18, 2018 11:48AM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Wow Hilary, I thought I was familiar with most of the fiction doll books from that time period but I don't recognize that one.

Do you have any more information--the setting of the book maybe--small town, country, city? East Coast, West Coast, the bread basket, the South? (Ok, I just realized I'm assuming that t his is a U.S. Civil War doll and not one from the English Civil War. Am I correct in that assumption?) How did the girl know it was a Civil War era doll? Was there any mystery like trying to track down who'd originally owned it etc. or does the girl just keep the doll?

message 3: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (khek) | 270 comments If it's the English Civil War, could it be A Candle in Her Room, by Ruth Arthur?

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36591 comments Mod
A Candle in Her Room by Ruth M. Arthur - Kelly's suggestion

message 5: by Hilary (new)

Hilary (renfrew) | 49 comments Thank you. I will forward your suggestions and questions to the patron and get back to you. Sorry for delay in response.

message 6: by Teri-K (new)

Teri-K | 303 comments Could it be Hitty, Her First Hundred Years by Rachel Field? I haven't read it in decades but thought of it as soon as I read your description - so possibly.

message 7: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
I don't think it's Hitty-- but like Teri-K, it's been a few decades since I read the book.

message 8: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Still looking, Hilary?