Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

The Bone Doll's Twin (The Tamír Triad, #1)
This topic is about The Bone Doll's Twin
Tamir Triad > #1 The Bone Doll's Twin-Finished! Spoilers allowed

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (last edited Jun 18, 2018 05:23AM) (new) - added it

Maggie K | 1205 comments Mod
This is the spoiler thread for Bone Doll's Twin....Let us know what you thought!

I was very intrigued by this book, and excited to start the next one! I was sad about Ki the companion though :(

message 2: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathi | 963 comments Mod
9/10
Dark, yet very readable. Wonderful world-building; well-drawn, three dimensional characters; magic, mystery, plots, and ghosts—plenty to like. A little slow in parts, but I assume some of that is due to setting up later events.
Excited to read the rest of this trilogy and will be on the lookout for the author’s Nightrunner series.

Anna (vegfic) I finished today, I was very surprised by how dark it was from the very beginning! The slowness seems to be her style, but I find myself very drawn to her storytelling, I can't stop reading.

I was fooled by the cover, I thought the revelation would come pretty soon, and we'd skip most of the childhood. I love that it didn't, because I got very invested in Tobin the boy, and feel heartbroken for the fact that he now has to face becoming a woman.

I'm starting the next one right away. I love this world, even if we don't get to see as much of it here as in Nightrunner. Maybe Tobin will get to go places now that he's no longer hidden away in the countryside.

Vera M. | 37 comments It was pretty slow going for me. Yet for a book that I feel nothing really happens in it did keep me interested enough to keep on reading and picking it back up when I had to put it down. I think it is partly the anticipation of what is being foreshadowed to come.

message 5: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - added it

Maggie K | 1205 comments Mod
Yes! There is a lot of foreshadowing here! I always get excited to see what theories work and which don't...

message 6: by Adrian (new) - added it

Adrian | 12 comments Took a bit to get into this with the slow pace and almost put it down, but I am glad I persisted. The dynamic of the boy/girl illusion and the ghost twin companion I found quite interesting, as well as being a fresh idea that I have not come across before. It left me concocting all kinds of storylines in my head that I thought this could open up.

It will be interesting to see with the reveal at the end, if the next couple of volumes have the story carry a faster pace with Tobin now aware and working towards the fulfillment of the prophecy.

Matthew (thorn969) | 34 comments I'm... about a month behind schedule, but I'm catching up.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. One big thing this book left me thinking about was how to talk about it with children. It is a story about children and mostly from a child's perspective and I think it was a decently balanced child-like perspective. But it definitely has a ton of darkness and extremely adult themes, not just in terms of sex and sexuality, but also in terms of brutality, suicide, murder, and human nature. I think I could imagine reading this book with a middle schooler, but with a lot of supervision and discussion.