Cozy Mystery Corner discussion

Featured Series and Cozies > Grace and Favor (Anything Goes) - Jill Churchill

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 2456 comments Mod
August

Anything Goes (Grace & Favor, #1) by Jill Churchill Anything Goes

Here's where to discuss the book and series.

In the Still of the Night (Grace & Favor, #2) by Jill Churchill Someone to Watch Over Me (Grace & Favor, #3) by Jill Churchill Love for Sale (Grace & Favor Mysteries #4) by Jill Churchill It Had to Be You (Grace & Favor, #5) by Jill Churchill Who's Sorry Now? (Grace & Favor, #6) by Jill Churchill Smoke Gets in Your Eyes

message 2: by Irene (new)

Irene Sauman | 7 comments This isn't available on kindle so I'm afraid I will have to give it a miss.

message 3: by Nell (new)

Nell | 2755 comments Mod
I read all of the books in this series except the last one. Not sure if it was published. I haven't been able to find it.

message 4: by Barb (new)

Barb | 725 comments I was going to say the same thing, Nell. It was supposed to have been released 3-4 years ago, but I've never seen it anywhere.

message 5: by Randa (new)

Randa | 175 comments I spent hours searching the internet for the last book. Could never tell if it was even published.

message 6: by Barb (new)

Barb | 725 comments I think I read something somewhere about 'issues' with the publisher -- not sure what type of issues, or even whether or not that's true, but it sure would be nice to read that last book!

message 7: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 2456 comments Mod
I asked it it was ever published on the book's home page. Now to see if it gets answered.

Is reading the first book necessary to know what's going on in the others? Love for Sale is the first one my library has.

message 8: by Barb (new)

Barb | 725 comments It's been so long since I read the books, I really can't remember. I think I remember that the first book sets up a lot of background, which makes it easier to understand why the characters do some of the things they do in later books, but I could be wrong.

message 9: by Randa (new)

Randa | 175 comments I just recently finished the second book in the series and for the most part it explained the premise of the series. I think I could understand what was going on if I read the second without reading the first, so I assume it would be the same with later additions. My library doesn't have the 3rd in series so I have to advance to the 4th.

message 10: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments I remember really liking this series but this author just seems to have disappeared, like Marianne Macdonald of the Dido Hoare series that I also liked. Jill Churchill's real name is Janice Young Brooks. She was an Agatha and MacAvity award winner and just seems to have disappeared from writing. I even searched for an obituary thinking maybe she passed away as she was born in 1943, but nothing.

message 11: by Patty (new)

Patty | 14 comments Barb wrote: "It's been so long since I read the books, I really can't remember. I think I remember that the first book sets up a lot of background, which makes it easier to understand why the characters do some..."

I read them a long time ago too but I remember this as well. Lots of details about her first husband. (don't actually remember if there was a 2nd husband) Churchill didn't continue to rehash the story over and over in each book which I was glad about.

message 12: by Kay Webb (new)

Kay Webb Harrison (kaywebbharrison) | 12 comments Patty,

I believe that you are thinking about the author's other series, the Jane Jeffrey one, which began in 1989 with Grime and Punishment; the last one was The Accidental Florist in 2007. Jane was a widowed mother of three who lived in a Chicago suburb. I enjoyed Jane's adventures in sleuthing as she coped with raising children, began a romantic relationship with a younger man-the police detective she met in the first book, and fulfilled civic and neighborhood obligations. Unfortunately, the last book issued was very unsatisfactory in plot and characterization.

message 13: by Patty (new)

Patty | 14 comments Kay Webb wrote: "Patty,

I believe that you are thinking about the author's other series, the Jane Jeffrey one, which began in 1989 with Grime and Punishment; the last one was The Accidental Florist in 2007. Jane w..."

That is exactly right! Thanks for setting me straight. Now I remember that I liked Grace and Favor more than the Grime and Punishment one. And we did never find out how things were going to go with our young detectives.

message 14: by Nell (new)

Nell | 2755 comments Mod
I liked the Grace and Favor series best as well. The main characters are sister and brother and I don't think either had ever been married. They were down on their luck after the stock market crash and moved from NYC.

The early ones in Jeffrey's Grime and Punishment series were good but the last two or so books were disappointing - it felt like she lost interest.

message 15: by Kay Webb (new)

Kay Webb Harrison (kaywebbharrison) | 12 comments I agree with you, Nell, about the later books in the Jane Jeffrey series.

I also agree about the Grace and Favor series. I thought that the setting was especially well done.
Kay

message 16: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (debbiejones) I'm more than halfway through it and I am really enjoying it. It's not trying too hard and it's very easy to read. Looking forward to the series!