Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts discussion

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #1)
Archive (BOTM) > Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children Discussion

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Krysta (krystafig) | 4089 comments Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #1) by Ransom Riggs

Here is where you may discuss one of our August Books of the Month, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, to your heart's content!
If you're posting a spoiler, please use the HTML code to hide it so that others can choose to read it or not.

So let's get discussing!

Marti Melville | 22 comments I finished this book about a month ago. Without giving out "spoilers," I will say that I'm impressed the author had the ingenuity to use actual photography to weave his story around. That said, I was rather disappointed with the story itself. I wanted more from the characters and a stronger plot, which wasn't delivered. The cover and photos are extremely enticing but the text could not support that.

I will not be reading the second book in the series.

Krysta (krystafig) | 4089 comments I just started this book last night and I'm interested to see how it goes. It's a little upsetting that you didn't enjoy it Marti, but at least I know not to have my hopes too high.

Kackucka | 2 comments I have finished this book like a year ago, and when I bought it I thought it was for adults. However this book is more for young boys. It is adventurous, and as I am open minded I enjoyed reading it as well as the second book. But I must admit, that the target group is boys between 10 and 15 years of age. Please excuse my grammar for I am not native speaker.

Marti Melville | 22 comments Krysta wrote: "I just started this book last night and I'm interested to see how it goes. It's a little upsetting that you didn't enjoy it Marti, but at least I know not to have my hopes too high."

Krysta - PLEASE, don't base your opinion on mine. I think this is a clever book, just didn't "ring my bell," so to speak. I hope you enjoy the read!!

April | 2 comments I ended up enjoying this book, even though it wasn't as creepy as the cover made it seem. It is more of a weaving together of teenage angst with supernatural occurrences. The author's humorous approach was great, though the reading is young/adult and not too challenging. I think this was a good source of entertainment. People looking for something deeper or complex may be disappointed.

Shannon (tennylle76) | 59 comments I enjoyed this book the first time I read it, and I still loved it when I reread it for the release of Hollow City. It's not anything other than a fun read, and the pictures keep it entertaining and imaginative. It is definitely YA, but I know several adults who have read it and liked it.

Kayla | 30 comments After finding this book in the YA section in the bookstore (I hadn't read these comments), my initial excitement dropped. However, it was quickly renewed thanks to the haunting and beautiful way the author used the images to tell a story, it was especially well done as they were made to be the feature and were incorporated into the text, rather than left for us to find at the end of a chapter. I was hoping for something a bit deeper and I'm now on the hunt for something a bit similar but for an older audience...any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Despite that I just purchased the second book and can't wait to start reading it.

I think it would be interesting to read another book that uses imagery in this way and compare it in the future too.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I read this & liked it, but found myself wishing I was able to read a book following the grandfather character. I loved that you learned more about the grandfather as it went, but eventually found the idea of that character & his journey more intriguing than the grandson.

Krysta (krystafig) | 4089 comments I know I'm a couple of days late, but I finished this book last night.
I judged the book by the cover at first and thought it was going to have a much creepier feel to it. Sure there were monsters and whatnot...but then again, it is a YA book, so I think my expectations were a little high.

I did enjoy the book, but I wasn't enthralled and was able to put it down to do other things. I will say though that I didn't particularly like the ending.
(view spoiler)

I'll probably read Hollow City though, and hopefully I'll enjoy it a little more now that I have a better idea of what to expect.