I Read Therefore I Am discussion

Quarterly Boxall's Reads > Buddenbrooks - Thomas Mann Parts 1-4

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laurel (new)

Laurel | 1486 comments Mod
Ok so for the next three months our big Boxall's read will be: Buddenbrooks: The Decline of a Family by Thomas Mann.

Please start commenting as soon as you like - I will divide it up into 3 monthly segments once my copy appears.

message 2: by Laurel (new)

So.... is anyone planning to read this one?

message 3: by Dianne (new)

Dianne (deemitchell) Yes, I have it ready to go

message 4: by Cleo (new)

Cleo (cleopatra18) Rats, I forgot to pack it with me to take on vacation, so I will be starting a month late. I hope I can catch up to the rest of you!

message 5: by Laurel (new)

That's ok Cleo - we have the chunkier books as group reads for 3 months so will be plenty of time for you to catch up when you get back!

message 6: by Laurel (new)

Ok so having a look at the structure of the book, I've sort of set a guideline for discussions of Part 1-4 for this month,then 5 through 8 next month and 9-11 for October.

Will make a start later on, I really enjoyed Death in Venice so looking forward to reading something else of his.

message 7: by Laurel (new)

I've finished part one - all just introducing people really, seems like a happy prosperous family although there's a hint of trouble to come with the oldest son Gotthold.

message 8: by Dianne (new)

Dianne (deemitchell) I have finished parts 1 and 2, there seem to be murmurs of disaster ahead, the mention of another family ruined, and the continuous mentioning for the family being good Christians makes me think it is going to be a 'you reap what you sow' type of scenario where their hypocracy could be seen as their undoing. Just my musings.

message 9: by Laurel (new)

Yes I definitely think so!