Cedar Falls Public Library discussion

Young Adult

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy | 263 comments Mod
Throughout the month of August we will be discussing YA (Young Adult) books. There are two books I would like to recommend two books. The first book is The Fifth Wave by Rick Yancey. It is the first book in a trilogy. The 5th Wave follows 16-year-old Cassie Sullivan as she tries to survive in a world devastated by the waves of alien invasion that have already decimated the population and knocked mankind back to the Stone Age. As one of Earth's last survivors, Cassie is left with just herself and learnt the hard way to trust no-one.
The second book is Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell.
Park, a biracial boy (half Korean, half white), and Eleanor, a red-haired girl, are two misfit teenagers living in Omaha, Nebraska, in 1986. The book is a love story — Eleanor and Park fall in love over comic books and mixed tapes on their school bus. I just loved this book. I did not want it to end.
Are there any YA books that you have read that you could recommend to the group?

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 263 comments Mod
I just finished a YA book that I just loved: The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie. It's the story of Junior, a budding cartoonist growing up on the Spokane Indian Reservation. Junior leaves his troubled school on the rez to attend an all-white farm town high school. It is very well written.

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 67 comments Mod
I loved Part-Time Indian and Eleanor & Park, though I don't normally read much YA. I really like coming of age stories.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 263 comments Mod
I read a decent amount of YA. I really like coming of age books too if they are done well.

message 5: by Travis (new)

Travis | 6 comments I would recommend Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi. Set in a dystopian future where the US has become a third world country. Follows a group of kids through an adventure. There are 2 books in this series. I might like the second book, The Drowned Cities, more than the first and I loved the first. Really well written.

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary Mcinnis Meyer (mary_writes) | 1 comments Can anyone recommend some stellar non-dystopian YA books? I've got a kid who is over the dystopian trend.

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 263 comments Mod
Travis, Thanks for the recommendation. It sounds good. Mary, it is hard finding a YA book that is not distopian. I like John Green. I have not read Code Name Verity, but have heard it is very good. I believe it takes place during WWII. Anyone else have any nondistopian suggestions?

message 8: by Dave (new)

Dave (balboafish) | 19 comments A few good classic nondistopian teen novels: to Kill a Mockingbird, The Catcher in the Rye, and The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy | 263 comments Mod
I love all three of those books! I'm happy to say that my daughter just read To Kill a Mockingbird and loved it too.

message 10: by Sheryl (last edited Aug 10, 2014 09:09AM) (new)

Sheryl | 109 comments Mod
I have read "Code Name Verity," and really liked it. Young female pilots during WWII, strong characters. I also loved "Eleanor & Park," and enjoyed "Fangirl" by Rowell. I also like The Raven Cycle series. It's not dystopian, but there is a little magic in it. "Wonder," by Palacio, is wonderful. My daughter (in her 30's but also still a YA fan) suggests "Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe," by Benjamin Alire Saenz and "Will Grayson, Will Grayson," by John Green & David Levithan (both feature gay characters, just fyi).

message 11: by Amy (new)

Amy | 263 comments Mod
Thank you for the recommendations. I have put Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe on my to-read list. I have read Wonder and it is wonderful. I have not read Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green & David Levithan. I have read other John Green books, I especially like Looking for Alaska and Fault in our stars. David Levithan's Everyday is also really good. It's about "A" who wakes up in a different body every day.