Children's Books discussion

Conversations: books & readers > Why Reading Aloud to Older Children Is Valuable

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 01, 2014 07:46AM) (new)

http://blogs.kqed.org/mindshift/2013/...

I'm not a parent or teacher, but this is good advice!

message 2: by Carolien (new)

Carolien (carolien_s) Very relevant.

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) | 6446 comments Mod
One of my favorite childhood memories is having our fifth-grade teacher read aloud A Wrinkle in Time. I read to my son until he was about 12, too, including the entire Narnia series.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I plan to read to a girl who's a) in a wheelchair and b) a grade below me (not that those are bad things) when school starts. Of course, I don't know the schedules for 8th grade, so there might not be time anyway....but I hope there is.
@Cheryl, that's wonderful. :D

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) | 6446 comments Mod
Sounds like there's potential for a good booklovers' friendship with her!

message 6: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Kathryn | 5947 comments Mod
Great article! Thank you for sharing. I so agree! It's funny, I was thinking of adults enjoying being "read to" (audiobooks) even before I reached the last paragraph ;-) And, of course, storytelling has been an important part of humanity for centuries--though this is a bit different from reading aloud from a book.

It sounds like you will have a wonderful experience reading aloud to your new friend, Raevyn! :-)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you. :)

message 8: by June (new)

June (june_krell) | 121 comments Thanks for sharing! I past it on to my library system. I still read to my 8th grader, he is ADHD, and read to his older brother until he was around this age. My husband sometimes still reads to me.

Yes, reading to spouses is terrific, too! I read to my husband for several years, probably should again if we can find books that are on both of our to-read lists.

message 10: by Z.R. (new)

Z.R. Southcombe (zrsouthcombe) | 3 comments Thanks for sharing this. I completely agree. I used to teach 9-10 year olds and they loved the stories I read aloud. It hooked a lot of those kids onto the authors that I read to them as well, which several of them went back and re-read themselves.

And yes - I still love it as an adult!

message 11: by Chris (new)

Chris Meads | 94 comments When my boyfriend and I get together for vacation, he usually brings books along and reads to me in the evening. It's a very calming experience, usually after a long drive somewhere and brings us closer together. He adds voices for each character which makes the story come alive.

message 12: by Aimee (new)

Aimee | 54 comments Yes. My husband and I have enjoyed reading books aloud on vacation. Doing so makes for an enjoyable shared experience.

I taught high school English for several years, and the students always enjoyed hearing books read aloud.

message 13: by Anne (new)

Anne Nydam | 124 comments I still read aloud to my kids every single day, always at bedtime and sometimes other times, too, if they ask me. They're 12 now and the bonding we share over all the books we've read together through the years is absolutely wonderful. I'll read them all sorts of things, from cherished books that are below their reading level to adult books with difficult and/or old-fashioned vocab and sentence structure that they'd have a tough time plowing through on their own. Sometimes my parents sit with us and listen, too! I always read all the voices and get very dramatic. When I visit schools and read aloud excerpts from my books, the kids are always hooked instantly. It's amazing how much they love being read to, without fail, and regardless of their age. Thanks for sharing the article, Raevyn.

message 14: by Shirley (new)

Shirley Castro | 1 comments Reading aloud to students is one of my favorite activities. I did it as a teacher for years and then when I retired I started working on a children's book series and get to enjoy it even more now that it's reading my own books and seeing their reactions.