Mid-Continent Public Library discussion

What Are You Reading This Month? > August 2014 Reads

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MH (new)

MH (librarian-m) | 236 comments Mod
We're supposed to be in the dog days of summer...right? This weirdly cool weather has got me thinking it's fall! Wacky weather aside, what are you reading this month?

message 2: by Courtnie (new)

Courtnie (bookcupidity) I can't believe my unbelievable luck. I was able to snag the last available copy of Magic Breaks from overdrive yesterday and am starting it now. I thought for sure there'd be a wait list. I must be living my life right.

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris (kristodyer) I was a little too ambitious last month, so I'm scaling back this month. I'm reading Storm of Swords and a book about Comic Con for pleasure, and The Accidental Technology Trainer for my work.

message 4: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (chloe36) | 21 comments I'm reading Forest Born by Shannon Hale. I love her stories that are kind of like fairy tales but really well told.

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy | 195 comments Mod
I am reading Queen of the Tearling

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 13 comments I'm reading The Winter King by Alys Clare as part of my personal quest to read 2013\2014 mystery novels this summer. The Winter King is part of a series, but I had no problem starting with this book. Setting is 12th century England\France.

message 7: by Lora (new)

Lora | 5 comments I am reading The Hotel at the corner of Bitter and Sweet. I am in a book club and this is the book that was chosen this month. I like when other people pick books out that I prob would never have read. This is a good book, so far.

message 8: by Bdmink (new)

Bdmink | 41 comments Second son by Lee Child

message 9: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 16 comments I'm reading Q by Luther Blissett

message 10: by Pam (new)

Pam (psvogt) | 31 comments Kris wrote: "I was a little too ambitious last month, so I'm scaling back this month. I'm reading Storm of Swords and a book about Comic Con for pleasure, and The Accidental Technology Trainer for my work."

I read The Accidental Technology Trainer a long time ago. Now that's my profession!

message 11: by Pam (new)

Pam (psvogt) | 31 comments I'm on a non-fiction kick this month - Finished An Invisible Thread for the WN book club that met tonight, and about halfway through The Big Fat Surprise. Just started Walking in Circles Before Lying Down which is pretty funny.

message 12: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 17 comments I just finished The Mangle Street Murders by M. R. C. Kasasian. I can't say I liked the characters, but it's written in an interesting style(which adds humor) and utilizing very short chapters. On average 2-3 pages per chapter. Because of the short chapters it moves right along and makes Sidney Grice tolerable. I wouldn't hesitate to read another if the series is continued. I also just finished The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty for a book group. It's great. We had a great discussion and one of the members pointed out it kept her up reading and she remembers it, 'which is a good thing for a little old lady with no memory'. It's a senior group and they don't always have enough interest in the titles to finish. All eight of them finished and love the book. Give it a try. It's worth it and it's part of MCPL's kitkeeper titles (with large print!).

message 13: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 53 comments Two Graves by Douglas Preston. Another great story about Agent Pendergast and finally some truth about his wife. This one goes from total dispair to thrill of discovery and victory. Of course, good truimphs over evil.

message 15: by Courtnie (new)

Courtnie (bookcupidity) I'm about halfway done with Jim Butcher's Summer Knight. Unfortunately, I had a fairly major plot point spoiled for me and I'm feeling like it's coming into play about now...so I'm trying to get over that and enjoy the ride!

message 16: by Amy (last edited Aug 26, 2014 10:36AM) (new)

Amy | 195 comments Mod
I am on a cozy paranormal mystery kick lately. I just finished A Cast-Off Coven and Hexes and Hemlines by Juliet Blackwell. They are #2 and #3 in the series. In the stories Lily Ivory is a vintage clothing store owner as well as a witch. Because of her powers she becomes entangled in different crimes, usually a murder, and helps the police, along with others, to solve the crime.

message 17: by Courtnie (new)

Courtnie (bookcupidity) Amy wrote: "I am on a cozy paranormal mystery kick lately. I just finished A Cast-Off Coven and Hexes and Hemlines by Juliet Blackwell. They are #2 and #3 in the ..."

Those look fun! Added to my TBR pile :)