Audiobooks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > August: progress ... or new temptations?

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3668 comments I don't have that much of a backlog, but curious to hear how others are doing.

message 2: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (haveah) | 106 comments Always progress and always new temptations. I can't lie and say I've hit an equilibrium- even with my rapid pace of 2-3 books a week- my TBR is still looming large with close to 500 books...

message 3: by Stephanie (last edited Aug 25, 2014 11:51AM) (new)

Stephanie (quiltsrme) | 143 comments 16 left at the end of July to meet my challenge goal of knocking off 35 from my TBR owned 2012 and earlier.

22. Ringworld - Larry Niven <--great book, great narrator!

Bought and knocked off TBR after 2012
10. Warrior's Apprentice - Lois McMaster Bujold
11. Dying for a Dance - Cindy Sample
12. Killer's Payoff - Ed McBain
13. Killer's Wedge - Ed McBain
14. The Assassin's Apprentice - Robin Hobb

message 4: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (quiltsrme) | 143 comments My TBR is worse because of all the sales. I know I will need another year of catchup for pre-2012 purchases, but I have to not join a bunch of other challenges as well. :)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I've done well with my backlog this year, but I haven't read as much as in the past. It's been good to be busy :-)

message 6: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3259 comments I did great at first and then pow! those Audible sales finally got me. Rather than try to reduce the total number of books in my TBR--also threatening the 500 mark--I'll knock off Outlander, which is in the 12 oldest unread books in My Library list. Then I'll work on merely increasing the number of new books read... usually last-in/first-out, but I'm not holding strictly to that. I try to keep up on series as they come out, but after buying 15 books in the last sale I doubt LIFO will hold. I'm giving myself permission to read whatever book strikes my fancy at the moment. Unfortunately for meeting that goal of reading new books, my current fancy is re-reading Nero Wolfe and Harry Potter. But I am a happy listener so that's a good thing.

message 7: by Karen (new)

Karen (rhyta) | 153 comments I have a better accounting of my TBR audios but have added 19 so far in 2014. Seems like I am treading water but at least I am getting some older ones read.

message 8: by Hunchback Jack (new)

Hunchback Jack | 439 comments No way I'm keeping up with new purchases, but most of my listens are from my TBR list and not new purchases. I'm only 22 books read for the year tho. The Crook Factory took me a month to get through!

HBJ

message 9: by CatBookMom (new)

CatBookMom | 995 comments New temptations. Re-reads/re-listens. All of the above.

Of the books/listens I put on my Must-Read shelf in January, I've listened to 4 and DNF'd one, with 2 other audiobooks stalled in the middle. Of the unheard pre-2010 audiobooks in my Library, I've listened to 5 others, with another stalled.

Is that progress? Dunno. The sales have been most disappointing, but I've gotten a lot on the cheap via Whispersync.

message 10: by Carol (new)

Carol | 8 comments I finally bit the bullet & ordered Outlander I heard it was good and my reaction to those suggestions was "meh" until I saw the trailer today...whereupon I used one of my credits to order the book, so after I finish up my current audible listen I'm listening to: City of Lost Souls: The Mortal Instruments book Five

message 11: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Turner (plainkayla) | 17 comments Can someone link me to what the TBR challenge is?
I tried to google, and found an article on someone's blog about it but want to make sure I understand everything.

I have a ton of To-Be-Read books and the pile grows larger each day!

message 12: by John, Moderator (last edited Aug 11, 2014 12:26PM) (new)

John | 3668 comments It's not as "official" as you may think. These monthly threads are for folks to report on how the books they hadn't gotten to yet turned out. Really just to motivate ourselves to clean those out a bit, as we acquire new ones.

message 13: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Turner (plainkayla) | 17 comments Ah, that's what I figured :)
Well, I could use the motivation too. Half of my amazon wishlist (okay, okay, more than half) are Kindle books and Audiobooks.

message 14: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3668 comments I'm going to fudge things a bit then. If you read a Kindle book that's been languishing, there's also an audio edition available, and you find the story itself either really good, or really bad, those are ok, too.

message 15: by Sara (new)

Sara | 79 comments Natalie wrote: "Always progress and always new temptations. I can't lie and say I've hit an equilibrium- even with my rapid pace of 2-3 books a week- my TBR is still looming large with close to 500 books..."

I am there with you Natalie! There are just so many new books that can't be ignored. So, I promised myself for every book that I listened to, I will add two new books, and I still have over 800 books on my TBR list :o)

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) | 208 comments I only joined Audible a few months ago, at the Gold membership level. So I only got 1 credit per month, and it was easy to listen to those in that month. But I've recently upgraded to 2 credits per month, and with Unlimited and the recent sales, I've now got 8 new audiobooks in my library waiting for me. I've promised myself not to get any more until these are done. My paper book and ebook TBR lists are out of control. I need to have at least one format that is manageable!

message 17: by Robin P (new)

Robin P | 1059 comments Sarah wrote: "I only joined Audible a few months ago, at the Gold membership level. So I only got 1 credit per month, and it was easy to listen to those in that month. But I've recently upgraded to 2 credits per..."

I started with the Gold 3 years ago, just to see if I even liked it, and I assumed I would upgrade if it worked out. But as soon as I was ready to call in about that, there was a "surprise" sale, and also an offer for 3 extra credits, which seemed a good deal. So I got behind and have never caught up or upgraded since. In fact I've suspended my membership for 3 months every year. Every time I get almost caught up they have another promotion, like the recent sale and I add more!

At first Audible was overwhelming to me, it isn't that easy to browse, so I didn't know what I wanted and didn't have much of a wish list. Later I started to know certain narrators and also to follow some listeners who seemed to have similar tastes, and that has helped me discover books I would never have thought of. Also Goodreads groups like this are a huge help (or a huge enabler of our addiction!)

message 18: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 2212 comments I forgot to report knocking off book #13 off the list of 15 books I've had over a year. Four Fires was a great book. Only two left on this list. (Let's not talk about how many more books I also have in my possession to read. Oh well, I'm mostly reading first in, first out...)

The Name of the Wind, Patrick Rothfuss
The Master and Margarita, Mikhail Bulgakov
The Far Pavilions, M. M. Kaye
Brain Rules, Dr. John Medina
Middlesex, Jeffrey Eugenides
The Talisman, Stephen King and Peter Straub
North and South, Elizabeth Gaskell
Royal Blood, Rhys Bowen
Under the Banner of Heaven, Jon Krakauer
Rebecca, Daphne du Maurier
Monster Hunter Vendetta, Larry Correia
The Persimmon Tree, Bryce Courtenay
Four Fires, Bryce Courtenay
The Twelve Clues of Christmas, Rhys Bowen
Theft of Swords, Michael Sullivan

message 19: by Hunchback Jack (new)

Hunchback Jack | 439 comments Of the four books I listened to this month, two were from my TBR list: the Crook Factory, and A Tale of Two Cities. I'm currently reading a third - The Hydrogen Sonata - but I doubt I'll be done by midnight :)

HBJ

message 20: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3668 comments If you read most of a book during one month, and finish it (early) in the next, you can count it as either.

message 21: by Hunchback Jack (new)

Hunchback Jack | 439 comments Thanks, John, but I'm only a couple of hours in. So it's a September book, I think.

HBJ

message 22: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 316 comments I finished The Storied Life of A.J.Fikery and liked it. It was the first time I had heard Scott Brick narrate and I thought he was great. Maybe it depends on the book as well as the listener.

message 23: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3668 comments Fully agreed, Margaret! I'd never heard him read before, and thought he did a terrific job.

message 24: by Fran (new)

Fran Wilkins | 543 comments I just did a revised inventory and I can safely say the temptations have not totally outweighed the progress. I have 19 on the TBL pile and only 12 are prior to 2014. I keep chipping away. Some of them are classics I have to gear up for: Crime and Punishment, Ivanhoe, Persuasion, etc. I have no credits and two kids in college = listen to the pile.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.