What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA book, a mother and teen daughter (and I think stepfather) go on summer vacation to the beach. The daughter explores her sexuality and falls for a young man she meets. Spoilers ahead.

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Mackenzieleach131313gmail.Com (Anonymous13) | 2 comments I read this book in 2010-2014. Unfortunately I don’t remember much about this book except for the SPOILERS BELOW.
She starts to hook up with a guy who works at the hotel on the beach, but she focuses on his acne and when she felt him on her thigh she freaked out and ran. He followed her and the manager caught her running away from him with her dress ripped and his pants unzipped.
She falls for a charismatic young man (older than her). I remember this one part where she is at his house near the pool and her mom shows up. She realizes her mom has been hooking up with this guy too because of the flower petals that are always on the moms car that match the tree in his driveway.
I think there’s some kind of disaster that separates them toward the end, but I can only really remember these specific events.

Mackenzieleach131313gmail.Com (Anonymous13) | 2 comments Also for some reason I think the cover had a picture of a camera for some reason..

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40627 comments Mod
Mackenzieleach, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 4: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments I'm almost sure I've read at least part of this book.

Mackenzie, if you're still looking, are you positive it was YA fiction?

message 5: by Becca (new)

Becca (beccalikesbooks) | 3252 comments I'm sure this is What I Saw and How I Lied by Judy Blundell. Here's the Google Books preview - https://www.google.co.uk/books/editio...

I found the scene where she's making out with the guy who works at the hotel (Wally), and then this is when she realises her mom has also been seeing the older guy (Peter), because of the petals on the car:
The orange petals on the car. Mom had tipped Wally every day to wash them off.
She'd known how to find me at Peter's because she went there every day. She went there to be with him. And when I'd first walked up to him that night, he'd thought it was her. I was wearing her perfume, I was wearing heels.

message 6: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Why can I never remember this title?!?

I'm sure Becca is right! It's come up a bunch of times before.

message 7: by Becca (new)

Becca (beccalikesbooks) | 3252 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Why can I never remember this title?!?

I'm sure Becca is right! It's come up a bunch of times before."

It is the most unmemorable title! I have it saved as a note and have to look it up every time.

message 8: by Claudine (new)

Claudine | 2 comments Was it a Sarah Dessen book? The description sounds vaguely familiar to a couple of her books