Dystopian Society discussion

A Clockwork Orange
This topic is about A Clockwork Orange
Announcements > August's Book - It's a big ol' tie guys!

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris (chris83) Since the poll is a tie between Dark Eden, A Clockwork Orange, and The Giver I think using previous runner-ups might have been a dumb idea!

But no worries. I'm using Random.org to pick a winner. Here is a screenshot of the results which names A Clockwork Orange as the winner!

This is a book I personally have avoided reading because the movie repulsed me strongly and immediately. For the sake of it all I'm going to give it a chance.

Has anyone already seen the movie?

How do you feel about the violence in the story?

If you have read it before, did you like it and will you be reading it again?

PHOENIX_DJABRIIL Phoenix K | 2 comments I thought the violence was (in short) a highlight on the decline of civil society and the devaluation of life. It's not comfortable to watch but it serves a purpose IMO.

message 3: by Mikhaeyla (new)

Mikhaeyla Kopievsky (mikhaeylak) | 26 comments Sitting here wondering whether 'randomness' is a dystopian or utopian value... Which got me thinking about More's "Utopia" and random selection in the "Hunger Games"... And then on to the very random randomness of "The Dice Man" - which is probably as subversive as "A Clockwork Orange" ... which makes me think randomness is not so random? :)

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris (chris83) Mikhaeyla wrote: "Sitting here wondering whether 'randomness' is a dystopian or utopian value... Which got me thinking about More's "Utopia" and random selection in the "Hunger Games"... And then on to the very rand..."

Nice one!

Mkfs The Dice Man! Ah, that takes me back.

Somehow I missed the poll and the suggestions discussion. I meant to suggest Do Android Dream of Electric Sheep, since I'm going to be re-reading that starting this weekend.

Clockwork Orange movie: check.

Which version of the book? With or without the final chapter?

message 6: by Chris (last edited Aug 01, 2014 09:47AM) (new)

Chris (chris83) Mkfs wrote: "Somehow I missed the poll and the suggestions discussion. I meant to suggest Do Android Dream of Electric Sheep, since I'm going to be re-reading that startin..."

I didn't have a suggestion thread this month. I used runner-ups from previous months.

I don't know what kind of access to books everyone has so I think with or without that final chapter is fine.

If you read a version with that chapter you could open a discussion thread about what it adds to the story etc.

Please put Clockwork Orange discussions here.

message 7: by Nadine (new) - added it

Nadine Brandes (nadinebrandes) | 36 comments Sandhouse wrote: "For the sake of all, I'm going to give it a chance."

I've only ever heard some negative things about this book, but I'd love to give it a try this month! Never watched the movie.

message 8: by Jane (new) - added it

Jane (janeinri) | 420 comments Mod
I find my library E-zone only has the audio book, and Amazon wants $8.52 for the Kindle version. Too rich for my blood! Unless I can borrow this from my daughter, I'm going to sit out this month. I will enjoy reading the discussion - I remember all the hoopla the movie caused when it was released.

message 9: by Chris (new)

Chris (chris83) Jane wrote: "I find my library E-zone only has the audio book, and Amazon wants $8.52 for the Kindle version. Too rich for my blood!"

If you want to read it send me a private message. If you don't mind sharing an email address I can get it for you.