THE Group for Authors! discussion

54 views
Publishing and Promoting > Top Indie Marketing Ideas

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy (amyvansant) | 12 comments As I'm pouring through the forums looking for new ideas for marketing, it occurred to me it might be helpful if people posted their 1-10 most effective marketing techniques so far? (skipping over the obvious bits like have a good cover, write a good book, get it proofread...)

For instance, so far for me, I'd say:

1. A giveaway of about 50 books to get reviews rolling.

2. Shamelessly begging everyone I talk to read and review, offering to name any future hamsters I buy after them, etc.

3. Spending a ton of time looking for like-minded/like-genre'd authors/people on GoodReads who I thought might like my novel (which has had the added bonus of finding me books by others I really enjoyed.)

4. Building a big Twitter following (some thanks to my blog/some using Tweepi.) Continuing to add to this group so far has given me the most regular sales.

5. An Amazon countdown deal.

I'd love to get on BookBub, but that is easier said than done. From what I've gathered so far though, it seems like the golden ticket.

I'm starting to feel bad about pelting my Twitter people with promotion though, so I'm looking for other ideas!

Angeli - The Pirate, the Angel & the Irishman


message 2: by June (new)

June Ahern (juneahern) | 78 comments Facebook friends - posting in the city where my novels take place, talking it up, adding a line from a review and books have sold. Have you set-up book events, parties? I begged at Indie, small bookstores, some took me in, some people did come & books were sold. Book parties, getting into book clubs that want to meet the author and oh! my biggest surprise! Three friends hairdressers sold a lot of books for me!! Whoo hoo. Dressers talk to many people. Those are some ideas. The Skye in June


message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy (amyvansant) | 12 comments Ha! Friends are helpful. :) My hairdresser NEVER shuts up so I should give her a copy to push!

I haven't done any book parties because I'm trying to find the magic bullet for large sales, not piecemeal. (Though getting friends/clients involved for early reviews helped a lot).

My next idea, which I'm still mulling, is to create a Book Club Program. For instance:

1. Choose Angeli for your next book. (the idea is they all buy the kindle version = sales)
2. I will send you a signed copy to give away to one of your members (like a raffle prize at your next meeting) (minimum of 5 members to get this, so the cost of the book/shipping doesn't outstrip the Kindle sales)
3. If you'd like a signed copy for all your members I'll sell them at a discounted rate and ship to one address.
4. I will do a Q&A with your group about the book (still mulling how this will work exactly...)

Trying to think of other "bonuses" I can offer clubs that they will find valuable but won't overwhelm me with work or out of pocket expenses. Love to hear any ideas there...


message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy (amyvansant) | 12 comments Thanks so much! When you say use Listopia, do you mean add my own book to lists I think are appropriate? Just making sure, because that's how I understood that could work, but it wouldn't be the first time I was confused...


Dianne wrote: "I have done a number of giveaways and the "to read" adds are huge, but very few reviews. Use Listopia. It's huge. You might want to look at the group on facebook, ASMSG, Author's Social Media Suppo..."


message 5: by Glede (new)

Glede Kabongo | 32 comments Just discovered The Fussy Librarian and Peoplereads as promotional tools, both under $10 and around 15,000-20,000 subscribers each, and counting. I did get some sales from Fussy Librarian. Rifflebooks.com is another up and coming book promotion site.

Story Cartel is anther way to get reviews.


message 6: by D.C. (new)

D.C. | 198 comments Amy wrote: "Thanks so much! When you say use Listopia, do you mean add my own book to lists I think are appropriate? Just making sure, because that's how I understood that could work, but it wouldn't be the fi..."

You want to be careful about adding your own book to lists. Sometimes it's considered appropriate, sometimes it's not. As a general rule of thumb, most people think it's alright to add to a category list, such as "Vegetarian Vampires", if you have written a book about same, so that readers who are interested in the subject can find your books, but most users I know don't think it's appropriate to add your book to a list like "Hot Summer Reads" or "Best Books Ever", because those are qualitative.


message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy (amyvansant) | 12 comments That totally make sense, DC. Thanks!

D.C. wrote: "Amy wrote: "Thanks so much! When you say use Listopia, do you mean add my own book to lists I think are appropriate? Just making sure, because that's how I understood that could work, but it wouldn..."


message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy (amyvansant) | 12 comments Thank you, Glede, for $6 Fussy is definitely worth a shot! I'll check out the others as well!

Glede wrote: "Just discovered The Fussy Librarian and Peoplereads as promotional tools, both under $10 and around 15,000-20,000 subscribers each, and counting. I did get some sales from Fussy Librarian. Riffle..."


back to top