Flights of Fantasy discussion

The Sad Tale of the Brothers Grossbart
Archived Group Reads > August 2014 - Horror 1: The Sad Tale of the Brothers Grossbart by Jesse Bullington

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris , cookie guilt (new) - rated it 2 stars

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments Out of all the winners this month, this is the one I considered reading the least.

So I started it last night. I opened the ebook to see what it was about and ended up reading a couple of chapters.

message 2: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 1 star

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments I've had this on my to-read list for awhile, so I'm excited to finally get to it this month.

Elise I started reading the book yesterday. Have to get used to the language, since English is not my native language. I like it so far!

message 4: by Thaddeus (new)

Thaddeus White | 69 comments I think I read the start of this some time ago. (I did get some way into it, I didn't stop after a few pages). It didn't work for me, felt like excess for the sake of it.

Elise Somehow I cannot really 'get into' this book. Not sure if its the style, the story or simply the gore? Anyone else having trouble with this book?

message 6: by Chris , cookie guilt (new) - rated it 2 stars

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments Yeah, I am. I'm knocking out a couple of chapters a day, but I'm not really feeling compelled to keep going. I end up distracted by something else.

Elise Chris wrote: "Yeah, I am. I'm knocking out a couple of chapters a day, but I'm not really feeling compelled to keep going. I end up distracted by something else."

Yes exactly. It is not that the book annoys me, but after a couple of chapters I keep finding excuses for myself to put it down!

Oh well, I got the whole month.... ;)

message 8: by Chris , cookie guilt (new) - rated it 2 stars

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments Well, I didn't make it quite halfway. The more I read, the longer it got.

I do think I'm learning a lesson about historical fiction. I enjoy the stuff that's pre-Christianity a lot more.

Elise I almost had enough courage to read another chapter, and then I read your message, Chris... Oh well, I will try again tomorrow ;) I WILL finish it!!!!

Concerning historical fiction, I agree, pre-Christianity stuff interest me more. Maybe that is because having studied religions and most of all Christianity, I am totally fed up with it!

message 10: by Chris , cookie guilt (new) - rated it 2 stars

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments Yes, it tends to take up a majority of the focus when it's in there. Which is understandable, as Christianity was everything during those time periods.

But we don't have to read about it. lol

Elise After the boring theology chapter it gets a little better again.
I was wondering though, is it just me or are there sometimes gaps in the story? Like the writer thought he'd already told you one of the characters hits the water, but then he did not and you suddenly find yourself reading the character is soaking wet? Or is it just me wandering off and missing certain parts?

Elise I did it! I finished it!

message 13: by Chris , cookie guilt (new) - rated it 2 stars

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments Good job..

message 14: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 1 star

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments So, I'm a little over 30%, and it's not really grabbing me.

My main question, though, is what's the point of the book?

Is it an allegory? A satire? I was thinking satire because of the (view spoiler), but based on Chris' comment about religiosity, I'm guessing allegory?

Elise I am not sure if it actually does have a point ;)

Anyway, if it is an allegory, then I still do not know what its message would be.

message 16: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 1 star

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Elise wrote: "I am not sure if it actually does have a point ;)"

That's what I'm worried about. 'Cause I'm not really into the story, and I'm not sure I want to continue if there's not a point to it...

message 17: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 1 star

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Ok, I think I'm gonna bail. And I think I might be on the infamous chapter.

But I'm sitting here, at lunch, with nothing to do... and the idea of pulling it out and reading it is so unappealing, so, yeah, time to jump ship.

I mean, the only thing I'm even hoping for at this point is that the brothers (view spoiler), but even that's not reason enough to keep going at this point.

message 18: by Chris , cookie guilt (new) - rated it 2 stars

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments I feel your pain.

message 19: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 1 star

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments It's sad, though. I was actually looking forward to this book. I'd had it on my to-read list for awhile, and was excited when it finally got voted in.

What a let down.

Elise Ah too bad! But good to hear that we are not the only ones struggling with this book.