Play Book Tag discussion

June 2018: Magical Realism > The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern 5*'s

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MargieD2017 (new)

MargieD2017 | 276 comments Fantastic! Enchanting! Will long be on my list of favorites. The author's visionary descriptions are so incredible that only by reading the book can you fully appreciate the beauty of this novel. I caught myself frequently with a smile on my face as I became fully captivated with one of the acts within the white and black striped canvas tents.

I, like others, struggle with trying to describe the book here. So I found the following on the net and felt that it describes it well.

"To enter the black-and-white-striped tents of Le Cirque des Reves is to enter a world where objects really do turn into birds and people really do disappear. Even though visitors believe the performances are all illusion, they are obsessively drawn to this extraordinary night circus. Those who run and perform in the circus are its lifeblood. Marco Alisdair runs the operation from London as assistant to the eccentric proprietor. Celia Bowen holds it all together from her role as illusionist. As magicians, Marco and Celia are bound to each other in a deadly competition of powers, creating ever more fantastical venues for circus goers to marvel at. But falling in love was never part of the game, and the players struggle to extricate themselves from this contest while keeping the circus afloat. Verdict: Debut novelist Morgenstern has written a 19th-century flight of fancy that is, nevertheless, completely believable. The smells, textures, sounds, and sights are almost palpable. A literary Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, this read is completely magical. —Joy Humphrey, Pepperdine Univ. Law Lib., Malibu, CA
Library Journal

I didn't know I would enjoy 'magical realism' so much! What a special treat!

message 2: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 485 comments I loved this book when I read. I am glad you liked it too.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9323 comments I also loved the Night Circus. Was surprised more people didn't pick it for Magical Realism.

message 4: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2666 comments I read this a couple of months ago and adored it

message 5: by Magdalena (new)

Magdalena | 414 comments I need to read this! I was going to read it this month but I just haven't had time.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review!! While I didn't read this book the two books I've read so far I feel the same as you. Who knew magical realism could be so good? I'm so happy you found a book in this genre you enjoyed. This sounds like a good one.

message 7: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments I loved this when I read it too! Hands down my favorite magical realism, as well as use of the 2nd person narrotive. It's been long enough too that the details are getting fuzzier in my memory, maybe time for a re-read!

message 8: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 430 comments One of my favorites :)

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9323 comments I love this one too! It’s kind of an aura you never forget.

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9323 comments I love this one too! It’s kind of an aura you never forget.

message 11: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6380 comments I really liked this book but I would never call it magical realism. It's more fantasy about magicians.

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9323 comments I’m struggling with magical realism at this moment. Not the definition, but more per se, how I actually feel about certain kinds of experiences. For instants I am reading a story about a young girl who has roses that come out of her wrists. There is a beautiful spirituality and folklore to the whole experience of the book which intrigues me. But on the other hand, I’m not for sure how I feel about it. This seems to be the beauty of PBT. You get a chance to explore things that you would not have picked up on your own, and then you get to figure out what you think about it.

Mishelly loves  (mishellyloves) | 11 comments I read this book as well for this topic! I'm so glad I did! This book was different I struggled with it at first, but It was over all amazing!!! I do have to reread this book at some point. I'm sure there are lot of little things I missed the first time around.

message 14: by Joy D (last edited Jun 30, 2018 08:30PM) (new)

Joy D | 4594 comments Nice review, MargieD2017! I wasn't even sure if it was magical realism when I read it back in April. I thoroughly enjoyed and highly recommend it! Here's a link to my review in case it is helpful: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 15: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I loved this book!

message 16: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9323 comments Linda, there you go twinning me again. As usual, we are right on track this morning.

message 17: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Amy wrote: "Linda, there you go twinning me again. As usual, we are right on track this morning."

LOL!