Flights of Fantasy discussion

The Dragon's Path (The Dagger and the Coin, #1)
This topic is about The Dragon's Path
Archived Group Reads > August 2014 - Fantasy: The Dragon's Path by Daniel Abraham

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments So, my stupid library only has audio versions of this book...I'm currently waiting for the interlibrary loan.

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I've just started. It's already pretty interesting, and I'm only 2% in. I've read and really enjoyed the first few Expanse books Abraham coauthored, so I am looking forward to this.:)

message 3: by Chris , cookie guilt (new) - added it

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments Sweet. Book 4 to this series came out last week.

Maggie K | 11 comments I found myself really enjoying this. Touching upon the financial side of war isn't used that often!

Sinistmer | 212 comments I have this checked out of the library. I'll have to check it out!

Beth (bethandluna) | 108 comments I enjoyed the first half of the book, but once I got beyond that, I quickly became bored, and it became somewhat of a chore to finish it.

message 7: by Éric (new)

Éric Lord | 13 comments Beth, why is that?

message 8: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments I gave in a bought a copy - it was only $1.99 so...

But I think I've read the beginning of this before.

Beth (bethandluna) | 108 comments Éric wrote: "Beth, why is that?"

I felt like I was reading two books almost or that there was a long gap between writing the first half and the second. The first half was action, adventure, and secrets. The second half was mostly political maneuvering to get established. I like that kind of stuff usually (like in Locke Lamora), but I just couldn't get into it here.

message 10: by Éric (new)

Éric Lord | 13 comments That's funny, as it is usually is the other way around. Political maneuvering and intrigues preceding an (usually boring) action showdown.

Sinistmer | 212 comments Read this during my flight yesterday-I admit I was a little worried when I saw GRRM had endorsed it (I dropped the series after reading the 3rd book, but this is beside the point), but I found myself enjoying it. I thought it was interesting to bring trade into the political games, and I liked the characters attached to that piece. It was nice to see conflict that did not exclusively rely on war or assassination. I wasn't absolutely in love with it, but I enjoyed reading it and may check out the sequel in the future.