52 weeks, 52 books discussion

This is Where I Leave You
This topic is about This is Where I Leave You
Week 2014.31: This Is Where I Leave You

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Catherine McKenzie | 985 comments Mod
This week's book is This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper - funny, real, a great read: http://amzn.to/1naIzVI

Beth | 145 comments I read this last year and loved it - I am really looking forward to reading everyone's comments!

Lynne (lynne_frappier) | 33 comments I'm conflicted about this book. Some of the scenes were so perfectly written - and laugh out loud hilarious (eg. Wendy sharing her favourite memory of her dad - I died, I thought that was so spot on).

And I can't really fault the writing - Tropper was able to create a cast of characters that were well developed.

Maybe it's because I couldn't stand Judd's character. And since he's the narrator, it gets tedious to always have to listen to his bitterness and often raunchy commentary. Sure the descriptions were spot on brilliant, but I just wanted to get a Judd that wasn't quite so jaded.

The dialogue was fast and well-paced ... it actually read like it should be a movie. Or maybe I think that because I have seen the trailer.

Ellen Marcolongo I really loved the book and the excellent character development. There were times when I just laughed out loud. I loved how the author created characters that one minute you could adore and in the very next minute hate.

Catherine McKenzie | 985 comments Mod
Ellen wrote: "I really loved the book and the excellent character development. There were times when I just laughed out loud. I loved how the author created characters that one minute you could adore and in the ..."

I agree!

Ellen Marcolongo This is one time I can't wait to see the movie!

Beth | 145 comments Ellen wrote: "This is one time I can't wait to see the movie!"

Me too! I just bought tickets to the 7:00pm show this Friday night at the Dine-In theater so this will be a "special event' for my daughter and me - she read the book as well and is dying to see the movie.

I am so looking forward to tomorrow night!

Beth | 145 comments We saw the movie and it followed the book really closely - it was terrific! Jane Fonda's performance as the Mother with a bad case of TMI was hysterical!

Arlene Morrell | 103 comments I liked this book for its humor. Judd's observation of people in general were funny. I sympathized with Judd and really disliked Jen. I thought the book in general was a good read.