Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

Good Buys > August 2014 Purchases

Comments Showing 1-50 of 103 (103 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 1864 comments Mod
Share all of your August 2014 book buys here.

message 2: by Lin (new)

Lin | 266 comments I pre-ordered Darkness by Laurann DOhner

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate | 37 comments I purchased To Rise Again at a Decent Hour by Joshua Ferris, All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr, and Dollbaby by Laura Lane McNeil (even though I already have an ARC of Dollbaby).

message 5: by Thom (new)

Thom Swennes (Yorrick) | 592 comments I am recovering from shoulder surgery so it has been awhile since noting my acquisitions. I have the use of only one hand so posting is slow and tedious so I might have to do this in steps. Breathless (Jesse, #1) by Eve Carter Rogues Rakes & Jewels by Claudy Conn Rushed by Brian Harmon Sloppy Seconds Round One by Michel Moore Arouse (Spiral of Bliss, #1) by Nina Lane After Math (Off the Subject, #1) by Denise Grover Swank Griffith Park Edition (The Day Job Diaries, #3) by Agnes Webb From the Wreckage (From the Wreckage, #1) by Michele G. Miller Witch You Were Here (Dust To Dust, #2) by Eden Crowne 4 Bad Boys to take to Bed (4 Book Bundle Set!) by Elizabeth Nelson The Hunted One (End of Days, #1) by Meg Collett Life on the Vine Cultivating the Fruit of the Spirit in Christian Community by Philip D. Kenneson WORTHY (The Worthy Series) by Lexie Ray That Man 1 (That Man Trilogy) by Nelle L'Amour Crazy in Love (Blue Lake, #3) by Kristin Miller Clarity (Clarity, #1) by Loretta Lost Heart of the Ocean by Heather B. Moore Searing Lies (Love, Power & Sin, #1) by Marie Astor Drowning in Rapture (Rapture, #1) by Megan D. Martin Embracing Her Wolf (Her Wolf, #1) by Erin Hayes Club Privé Book I (Club Prive, #1) by M.S. Parker Diana By The Moon (Jewels Of Tomorrow, #1) by Tracy Cooper-Posey In Between (Katie Parker Productions, #1) by Jenny B. Jones The Sound Of Footsteps (The Drusilla Thorne Mysteries Book 1) by Diane Patterson Reckless (Renegades, #1) by Skye Jordan Rapture of the Deep by David Grindberg Three Little Words (Three Little Words, #1) by Lauren Hawkeye Just Destiny by Theresa Rizzo So Much It Hurts (So Much It Hurts, #1) by Melanie Dawn The Summer I Learned to Dive by Shannon McCrimmon Island Sunrise by Bobby Hutchinson

message 6: by Joseph (new)

Thom wrote: "I am recovering from shoulder surgery so it has been awhile since noting my acquisitions. I have the use of only one hand so posting is slow and tedious so I might have to do this in steps. [bookco..."

Thom, take your time, no rush, we're going to need time to get over the awe and shock of seeing your accumulation anyway. ;-) Hope you feel better soon. And at least that means you probably have plenty of time to read. :-)

message 7: by Lin (new)

Lin | 266 comments Ditto...what Joseph said. Hope your recovery progresses smoothly Thom.

message 8: by Cammie (last edited Aug 30, 2014 10:17PM) (new)

message 9: by Samantha A (new)

Samantha A Bought these today:

The Sandman, Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman (paperback, $5)
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin (paperback, $7)
The Canning Season by Polly Horvath (hardcover, $1)
The Road to Wigan Pier by George Orwell (paperback, $1)

The Sandman, Vol. 1 Preludes and Nocturnes (The Sandman #1) by Neil Gaiman A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin The Canning Season by Polly Horvath The Road to Wigan Pier by George Orwell

message 10: by Louise (new)

Louise | 280 comments I got 2 today Og vejret skiftede, og det blev sommer og så videre by Pedro Carmona-Alvarez and The Narrow Road to the Deep North by Richard Flanagan

message 12: by Samantha A (new)

Samantha A Did SO WELL at the bookstore today! I found a few titles that I've been pining for so I am very happy.

I thought it was going to be a bummer today because I went to my first bookstore and found Cloud Atlas and The Yiddish Policeman's Union both for $1 each but when I went to pay the guy freaked out and told me that it was a mistake and he couldn't give them to me for $1. I didn't argue because I go there a lot and it would have been weird, but I was definitely bummed. Then I struck gold at the second shop :)

Here's what I picked up:
The Night Guest by Fiona McFarlane (Paperback, $1) [I've been NEEDING this in my life and happened to find it for A DOLLAR!!! I was freaking out]
The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty (paperback, $1) [this has been one I've had my eye on for a while]
Orientation: And Other Stories by Daniel Orozco (hardcover, $1) [I saw this here on GR a while ago and it looked so interesting! And that cover!]
The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.: A Novel by Adelle Waldman (paperback, $6) [This was mostly a cover buy, but the salesman was also reading it and said that the (female) author did an excellent job of portraying a man's thoughts, so I was intrigued]
Summer House with Swimming Pool by Herman Koch (hardcover, $9) [I didn't exactly enjoy The Dinner but I've been wanting this one pretty terribly and it just came out this year, so I couldn't pass it up. Hopefully it's better than The Dinner]

The Night Guest by Fiona McFarlane The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty Orientation And Other Stories by Daniel Orozco The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P. A Novel by Adelle Waldman Summer House with Swimming Pool by Herman Koch

message 15: by Thom (last edited Aug 06, 2014 03:45PM) (new)

Thom Swennes (Yorrick) | 592 comments I am house-bound which gives me lot[of time to read and acquire new books online. These are today's free acquisitions bookcover:Cruel Justice|12758464] The Advocate by Teresa Burrell Captured (The Captive, #1) by Erica Stevens s Jane Austen Girl (A Timbell Creek #1) by Inglath Cooper Saving Grace by Sandy James The Knight (Highland Guard, #7.5) by Monica McCarty Extermination Day (Extermination Day, #1) by William Turnage Bannockburn Binding (Beloved Bloody Time, #1) by Tracy Cooper-Posey Crazy Love by Eileen Leamy Becoming Your Spouse's Better Half Why Differences Make a Marriage Great by Rick Johnson Discovering Ren (Book 1) by Jennifer Eifrig The Cloud Seeders by James Zerndt A Guide to the Present Moment by Noah Elkrief Broken Promises (Broken, #1) by Dawn Pendleton

message 16: by Joseph (new)

My first purchase of August: a used copy of Parrots Prove Deadly A Pru Marlowe Mystery by Clea Simon

message 17: by Afsana (new)

Afsana (afsanaz) | 154 comments Samantha i think there is law that they have to sell it to you at the price advertised. Even if it was a mistake

message 18: by Kate (new)

Kate | 37 comments Today I ordered Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty, Adultery by Paulo Coehlo, and The Children Act by Ian McEwan.

message 19: by Samantha A (new)

Samantha A Afsana wrote: "Samantha i think there is law that they have to sell it to you at the price advertised. Even if it was a mistake"

I'm pretty sure you're right, but since it was my usual used bookstore and he told me that they bought them for $3 each, I not only didn't want to make it weird for my future ventures into the store, but didn't want them to lose the potential $15 or so dollars they would make on them if I didn't take them for the dollar each. I've gotten plenty of great things there so I was willing to let them go. :/

message 20: by Thom (new)

Thom Swennes (Yorrick) | 592 comments Today's purchases are: Crazy Kisses (Steele Street, #4) by Tara Janzen Seven Days of Friday (Women of Greece, #1) by Alex A. King The Starlight Club by Joe Corso Flukes by Nichole Chase Eye of the Abductor by Elaine Meece Inside the George by Beth Tyner Sleeping Tigers by Holly Robinson The Branches of Time by Luca Rossi Survivors Club, The by J. Carson Black Space Junque (Apocalypto, #1) by L.K. Rigel Pam of Babylon by Suzanne Jenkins Sapphire and Shadow (A Woman's Life) by Marie Ferrarella On Behalf of the Family (A Detective Dave Mason Mystery Book 3) by Mar Preston

message 21: by Afsana (new)

Afsana (afsanaz) | 154 comments I hope he appreciates what you did

message 22: by K C (new)

K C Smith | 26 comments So far, my purchases include: FangirlThe Ocean at the End of the LaneThe Alchemist

I plan on buying Attachments The Graveyard BookNeverwhere this week.

message 23: by Veronika (new)

Veronika (vforveronika) Finally got my copy of The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde in the mail from The Book Depository that I ordered last month. Still waiting on one more book though.

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Furey (SarahFurey) | 3 comments This week I bought: The lost journal of Bram Stoker, Triptych by Karin Slaughter and Astray by Emma Donoghue, all three cost 5euro.

message 25: by Cherry (new)

Cherry (lithmuspaper) | 22 comments I bought Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira in hardcover, If I Stay (If I Stay, #1) by Gayle Forman and Where She Went (If I Stay, #2) by Gayle Forman in paperback. And Opposition (Lux, #5) by Jennifer L. Armentrout in ebook format. I already have the first three in ebook but they're so beautiful I just have to have them in paperback/hardbound.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Magic Breaks (Kate Daniels, #7) by Ilona Andrews

Got this week, almost done, such a good installment in the series. <3

Linda  "The Book Lady" Warner Okauy here it is the 8th of August and I hit the book buying early. On-line I bought my grandson the first 5 books of the Amulet series and Jeffrey Brown's secone Star Wars academy. For myself I bought Bohemian Flats, The Outlander Outlander (Outlander, #1) by Diana Gabaldon , Dorothy Must Die Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die, #1) by Danielle Paige . Longburn, Longbourn by Jo Baker , and two of Ann Rice Wolf Gift books.

message 30: by Lee (new)

Lee Whitney (boobearcat) | 99 comments I bought Sundiver, Origin was free, Bloodlines by Jan Burke, P.D, James Cover Her face, And I was recommenede by someone on here for The Master and The Margarita
Wow Thom You did well

message 31: by Kadijah Michelle (new)

Kadijah Michelle (kadmich) I went to a Library Sale that had a buck a bag deal. Bought about 100 books for $8. I, still sorting through them all:)

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Thom wrote: "I am house-bound which gives me lot[of time to read and acquire new books online. These are today's free acquisitions bookcover:Cruel Justice|12758464]The Advocate by Teresa Burrell[bookcover:Ca..."

I was going to ask if you hurt your shoulder carrying all of those books. Seriously hope you feel better soon and enjoy reading.

message 34: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 363 comments Born of Fury (The League, #7) by Sherrilyn Kenyon picked this up today

message 35: by Joy (new)

Joy Waterloo Station by Emily Grayson , On This Day by Nathaniel Bellows , Better Than Chocolate by Susan Waggoner , Meeting Point A Novel by Roisin McAuley , The Believers by Zoë Heller , The Domino Men (Domino Men, #2) by Jonathan Barnes , A Taste of Reality by Kimberla Lawson Roby , The Best-Kept Secret (Reverend Curtis Black, #3) by Kimberla Lawson Roby , My Own Miraculous by Joshilyn Jackson , Miral by Rula Jebreal , Comfort & Joy by India Knight , Some Sing, Some Cry by Ntozake Shange , Home Away from Home by Lorna Jane Cook , LuvLeigh (Vivien Leigh Reid #3) by Yvonne Collins , Things You Either Hate or Love by Brigid Lowry , Ciao Bella by Gina Buonaguro , What Do You Do All Day? by Amy Scheibe , Echoes of the Dance by Marcia Willett , Gidget (Gidget series, #1) by Frederick Kohner , If Andy Warhol Had a Girlfriend by Alison Pace , Cool Water by Dianne Warren , Fifty Is Not a Four-Letter Word by Linda Kelsey , April & Oliver by Tess Callahan , Carpool Diem by Nancy Star , Tending Roses (Tending Roses #1) by Lisa Wingate , Lime Ricky by Jill Winters , Miracle Beach by Erin Celello , Tales from the Yoga Studio by Rain Mitchell , Head Over Heels A Novel by Rain Mitchell , It Dreams in Me (Black Falcon Trilogy, #3) by Kathleen O'Neal Gear , Broken Jewel by David L. Robbins , The Girl Next Door by Elizabeth Noble , Lessons in Laughing Out Loud by Rowan Coleman , The Doula by bridget boland , The Grief of Others by Leah Hager Cohen , Invisible River by Helena McEwen , Nanny Returns (Nanny, #2) by Emma McLaughlin , Keeping Mum. Kate Lawson by Kate Lawson , Brava, Valentine by Adriana Trigiani , South of Superior by Ellen Airgood

message 36: by Kate (new)

Kate | 37 comments Today I pre-ordered Gordie Howe's new book-Mr.Hockey.

message 37: by Thom (new)

Thom Swennes (Yorrick) | 592 comments On A Cold Christmas Eve by Bethany M. Sefchick Twenty-Four Hours by Sherrie Henry Ghosts Of Lovers Past (Ghosts, Inc.) by Bethany M. Sefchick Primal Chase (From the Ashes, #1) by Jessie Snow Hooked on You by Lindsey Brookes Ignited (Titanium Security, #1) by Kaylea Cross Reluctant Guardian by Kristy K. James Anything for You (Coming Home, #1.5) by Jessica Scott Dream Student (Dreams, #1) by J.J. DiBenedetto First World (Walker Saga, #1) by Jaymin Eve So Long, Lollipops (An Until the End of the World Novella #1.5) by Sarah Lyons Fleming Enjoying the Chase by Kirsty Moseley Murder Deja Vu by Polly Iyer BLACK RAVEN (Jess Williams, #27) by Robert J. Thomas The Picture Kills by Ian Bull PARENTS WHO KILLED THEIR CHILDREN FILICIDE by R.J. Parker The Request (The Request, #1) by Marquita Valentine Rebellion (Chronicles of Charanthe, #1) by Rachel Cotterill Oceans Apart 1 by Amanda Heartley One Broke Girl (Edgewood Falls, #1) by Rhonda Helms Unbreakable (Cypress Grove, #1) by Amie Nichols Deep Fried and Pickled (The Rachael O'Brien Chronicles #1) by Paisley Ray Three of Hearts (Hamden, #1) by W. Ferraro Melt With You (Fire and Icing, #1) by Jessie Evans Plague (Dr Samantha Bower Medical Thiller) by Victor Methos Another day, another book (books) Life goes on and so does my collecting addiction. I couldn't be happier (and my wife is happy because it keeps me off the streets.

message 38: by Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (last edited Aug 13, 2014 01:28PM) (new)

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Went to the dollar general with my friend last night and found they really restocked the book area -

The Monster's Corner Stories Through Inhuman Eyes by Christopher Golden The Heir of Night (The Wall of Night, #1) by Helen Lowe Mortal Coils by Eric Nylund Blue Blood (Debutante Dropout, #1) by Susan McBride Fowl Prey (A Bed and Breakfast Mysery, #2) by Mary Daheim The Night of Four Hundred Rabbits by Elizabeth Peters The Unseen by Katherine Webb The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe

My friend loaned me -

Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs (Jane Jameson, #1) by Molly Harper Nice Girls Don't Live Forever (Jane Jameson, #3) by Molly Harper Nice Girls Don't Date Dead Men (Jane Jameson, #2) by Molly Harper

message 39: by Thom (new)

Thom Swennes (Yorrick) | 592 comments Out of Darkness (The Starborn Saga, #1) by Jason D. Morrow Heiress Without a Cause (Muses of Mayfair, #1) by Sara Ramsey Near Death by Richard C. Hale Footprints of a Dancer by Bob Avey Beyond Shame (Beyond, #1) by Kit Rocha Sweet Home Carolina (Magnolia Bay, #2) by Kim Boykin A Daughter's Place (Family Matters Book 1) by C.J. Carmichael The Lullaby Shaina's Story (Family of Fire) by Lola Grace Stevens Splintered Oak (Winsor, #3) by T.L. Gray Exposing Kitty Langley (Charity, #2.5) by DeAnna Kinney Witches of The Demon Isle Box Set, Volumes 1, 2 & 3 by Rachel Humphrey Daigle A Thirty-Something Girl by L.M. Stull The Vada Diaries Short Stories and Confessions of a Crazy Mother (The Unbalancing Act) by Kristen Lynn The Guardian and the Dream Crawler (The Guardian, #1) by S.L. Lewis The Cabin by Reuben Hollenbeck The Devil's Dime (The Samaritan Files #1) by Bailey Bristol For Always by Janae Mitchell Aristeia Revolutionary Right (Aristeia, #1) by Wayne Basta The Last Knight by Nicola S. Dorrington Charity Rising (Charity, #2) by DeAnna Kinney These are my free Kindle books for today from Amazon.

message 40: by Samantha A (new)

Samantha A Just one today:

Boy, Snow, Bird by Helen Oyeyemi (hardcover, $8)

Boy, Snow, Bird by Helen Oyeyemi

message 41: by Joseph (last edited Aug 13, 2014 07:47PM) (new)

Erin (Paperback Stash) wrote: "My friend loaned me -Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs (Jane Jameson, #1) by Molly Harper Nice Girls Don't Live Forever (Jane Jameson, #3) by Molly Harper Nice Girls Don't Date Dead Men (Jane Jameson, #2) by Molly Harper
..."

You're going to like the Molly Harper's, they are a lot of fun to read.

On another note, my copy of Grave Witch (Alex Craft, #1) by Kalayna Price arrived today.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Joseph wrote: "Erin (Paperback Stash) wrote: "My friend loaned me -Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs (Jane Jameson, #1) by Molly Harper Nice Girls Don't Live Forever (Jane Jameson, #3) by Molly Harper Nice Girls Don'..."

Glad to hear - hadn't heard of it until my friend started reading them.

message 43: by Lin (new)

Lin | 266 comments I have read that entire series and loved them. If you like them, you might want to check out Dakota Cassidy and her Accidental friends series as well. Snarky and fun to read as well.

message 45: by Samantha A (new)

Samantha A Picked up 3 yesterday:

The Bone People - Keri Hulme (paperback, $8) I had never heard of this one, but I found the Penguin Ink series cover and I just couldn't leave it behind, it's so pretty!
Who Could That Be at This Hour? (ATWQ #1) - Lemony Snicket (hardcover, $1)
Yes, Chef: A Memoir - Marcus Samuelsson (hardcover, $1)

The Bone People by Keri Hulme Who Could That Be at This Hour? (All The Wrong Questions, #1) by Lemony Snicket Yes, Chef A Memoir by Marcus Samuelsson

message 46: by Samantha A (new)

Samantha A 2 more today:

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman (hardcover, $10)
Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (hardcover, $1) Bought to replace my paperback copy

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins

message 47: by K C (new)

K C Smith | 26 comments Samantha, I read Ocean at the Lane recently & I absolutely loved it. Hard to put down!

message 48: by Samantha A (new)

Samantha A K C wrote: "Samantha, I read Ocean at the Lane recently & I absolutely loved it. Hard to put down!"

I read it before, but it was my first Gaiman book and was expecting something much different. I didn't enjoy it much my first go, so I'm excited to give it another chance, especially after ADORING The Graveyard Book.

message 50: by Afsana (new)

Afsana (afsanaz) | 154 comments This month i have bought a lot books.

Just had delivered the following by alafair Burke

Judgement calls
long gone
Dead connection

By jane adams the following books

A reason to kill
Cast the first stone .
killing a stranger

I also bought today W for wasted by sue grafton

Yesterday i bought 13 by tom hoyle, also the never list by koethi zan

I also bought the following books by james dashner

The maze runner
The death cure
the kill order and
The scorch trials

I also bought witch hunt by syd moore and fated by alyson noel and 100 by kass morgan

Earlier this month i bought fallen, tormented and passion all written by lauren kate

« previous 1 3