Cozy Mystery Corner discussion

Looking for Recommendations > Culinary cozies

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz (new)

Liz Finck | 13 comments I am looking for a new culinary oriented cozy series to read. I am currently reading Joanne Fluke's series and have previously read a good handful of the Diane Mott Davidson books (Goldie Bear Series)

does anyone have any other suggestions?

message 2: by Jennifer (last edited Jun 17, 2018 05:22PM) (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) | 539 comments Victoria Hamilton's Merry Muffin and Vintage Kitchen are good and (if i recall she has muffin recipes in there....) Cleo Coyle's Coffee series is good (has recipes!), Jessica Beck's donut series and/or diner series (so many donut recipes.....), Ellery Adams' charmed pie shop and supper club series, and Jen McKinlay's bakery series -- all good reads.

message 3: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) Krista Davis' Diva series is a favorite of mine! Her Wagtail series is also semi-culinary, they include recipes.

message 4: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Sousa | 446 comments I discovered the Bakeshop mysteries by Ellie Alexander and the Cape Bay Cafe mysteries by Harper Lin through this group. I have read several of each and enjoy them. If you want something a little different, try the Callie's Kitchen mysteries by Jenny Kale.

message 5: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 419 comments Barbara wrote: "try the Callie's Kitchen mysteries by Jenny Kale. "

I've liked this series and yes, it's a bit different but good.

message 6: by MadameZelda (new)

MadameZelda | 624 comments I read the entire Goldy bear culinary mysteries by Diane Mott Davidson and miss them.

I have read and am reading most of the series above. They are great too.

message 7: by Jennifer (last edited Jun 18, 2018 11:49AM) (new)

Jennifer Dombrowski | 2 comments I have read some of Isis Crawford's catering series and loved them. I plan to read more of them.

message 8: by Ms. Woc Reader (new)

Ms. Woc Reader Have you read the Brewing Trouble series?

To Brew or Not to Brew

message 9: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (stacey42) | 8 comments The Della Cook's series by Melinda Wells is good. Connie Shelton's bakery owner Samantha Sweet series is well worth a read. I also like the cheese shop mysteries by Avery Ames.

message 10: by Rebecca (last edited Jun 21, 2018 11:26AM) (new)

Rebecca (mamanyt) | 129 comments Liz wrote: "I am looking for a new culinary oriented cozy series to read. I am currently reading Joanne Fluke's series and have previously read a good handful of the Diane Mott Davidson books (Goldie Bear Seri..."

I really like Laura Child's "Cackleberry Club" series, as well as B. B. Haywood's "Candy Holliday" series. I've only read one of Tamar Myer's "Pennsylvania Dutch" series, but I'm looking forward to reading the rest of them. Now, Tarquin Hall's 4-book "Vish Puri, Most Private Investigator" series is NOT culinary, but the last two books do have a few wonderful authentic Indian recipes.

In addition, there are a couple of actual cookbooks out there containing the collected recipes found in these books. MUST have those!

message 11: by Chris (new)

Chris Have you read Julie Hyzy - white house chef books? Also Denise Swenson - her newest series begins with Tart of Darkness -
go to the cozy-mystery.com website - a lot of authors and series are mentioned.
love her website!!
https://www.cozy-mystery.com/blog/mys...

message 12: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (mamanyt) | 129 comments OH...and Victoria Hamilton's "Vintage Kitchen" series has a vintage recipe in each book.

message 13: by Liz (new)

Liz Finck | 13 comments Oh my goddess! So many great recommendations. Thanks a bunch! I look forward to widening my horizon.

message 14: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (mamanyt) | 129 comments GOOD GRIEF! How could I have forgotten Joanne Fluke's "Hannah Swensen" seried? That's the series that Hallmark's "Murder, She Baked" movies are based on. Chock full of absolutely wonderful cookie recipes, and a few other recipes, as well.

message 15: by Barb (new)

Barb | 773 comments Late to the party, as usual, but here are a few other food-based cozy series that I've enjoyed:

Tea Shop series, by Laura Childs
Fresh Baked series, by Livia J. Washburn
Key West Food Critic series, by Lucy Burdette
Country Cooking School series and Farmer's Market series, by Paige Shelton
Culinary series, by Josi S. Kilpack
Maine Clambake series, by Barbara Ross
Hayley Powell Food & Cocktails series, by Lee Hollis
Poppy Peters series, by A. Gardner
Spice Shop series, by Leslie Budewitz
another Spice Shop series, by Gail Oust
Comfort Food, by Christine Wenger
Death by Chocolate series, by Sarah Graves
Amish Candy Shop series, by Amanda Flower

Some of these are short series that have ended, others are relatively new series that would be easy to get current and other are long-running series that still have new books come out every year or so :)

message 16: by L J (new)

L J | 596 comments Magical Bakery series by Bailey Cates.

message 17: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (mamanyt) | 129 comments OH! I forgot a food-based (kinda sorta) cozy. While it is actually more cat/paranormal, the Bad Luck Cat series is about a woman who bakes compulsively when stressed, and the three to date have several excellent recipes in the back.

message 18: by MadameZelda (new)

MadameZelda | 624 comments Cajun Country Mystery series by Ellen Byron has recipes in the back of the books

message 19: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments MadameZelda wrote: "I read the entire Goldy bear culinary mysteries by Diane Mott Davidson and miss them.

I have read and am reading most of the series above. They are great too."

I miss Goldy Bear as well. I felt like I knew her like a real friend. A really well written cozy and the theme was really fun as well.

message 20: by L J (new)

L J | 596 comments Link for the Food & Drink jobs category on StopYoureKillingMe
http://stopyourekillingme.com/JobCats...

message 21: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (mamanyt) | 129 comments Joanne Fluke is single-handedly going to be responsible for my gaining 50 pounds. GOOD GRIEF!

message 22: by MadameZelda (new)

MadameZelda | 624 comments Rebecca wrote: "Joanne Fluke is single-handedly going to be responsible for my gaining 50 pounds. GOOD GRIEF!"

Have you tried her recipes? I did one and it flopped. If the other recipes are good, I'll try again.

message 23: by Barb (new)

Barb | 773 comments I tried her Not-So-Swedish Meatballs -- I think it was in one of the Christmas books? -- and hubby liked it so much, it's still the only way he'll eat meatballs LOL

message 24: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (mamanyt) | 129 comments I've tried five or six now...One was iffy, but I think that was me, not the recipe. The rest were NUMMY!

message 25: by MadameZelda (new)

MadameZelda | 624 comments Hmm, okay, I will try another recipe from Joanne Fluke.

message 26: by L J (new)

L J | 596 comments Just in case you didn't know about this: Joanne Fluke's Lake Eden Cookbook: Hannah Swensen's Recipes from the Cookie Jar. I don't think it has all the recipes from the mystery books but does have some recipes that don't appear in the books. I've made myself quit buying cookbooks but I still read them and my library had the ebook.

message 27: by Pat (new)

Pat Cray-Hollis | 179 comments I love Joanne Fluke's Hannah Swensen's books and I used to love Dianne Mott Davidson books but it has been series years since the last book has come out.

Has anyone read Jenn McKinlay Cupcakes Mysteries? I have read her Library bookstore mysteries and they are very good.

message 28: by MadameZelda (new)

MadameZelda | 624 comments Thanks, L.J.! I will check it out.

Pat, I do too! I adore Jenn MacKinlay's series!

message 29: by Liz (new)

Liz Finck | 13 comments I love love Joanne fluke books- I am currently reading double fudge brownie murder. I am so conflicted over the ross, mike & Norman love triangle!

message 30: by Chris (new)

Chris Diane Mott Davidson put out a cookbook based on her series Dying for Chocolate -- I won it in a goodreads and lots and lots of great recipes were in it from her books!!

message 31: by Barb (new)

Barb | 773 comments Pat wrote: "Has anyone read Jenn McKinlay Cupcakes Mysteries? I have read her Library bookstore mysteries and they are very good."

I like the Cupcake series better than the Library series :)

message 32: by MadameZelda (new)

MadameZelda | 624 comments L.J. and Chris -- thanks! I've found them at my library and put a hold on them!

message 33: by L J (new)

L J | 596 comments You might want to look at Literary Cookbooks List: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2...
The Nero Wolfe Cookbook and Cooking Out of This World were the books that started me on book associated cookbooks back it the 1970's. Both are on this list along with many others.

message 34: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (mamanyt) | 129 comments L J wrote: "Just in case you didn't know about this: Joanne Fluke's Lake Eden Cookbook: Hannah Swensen's Recipes from the Cookie Jar. I don't think it has all the recipes from the mystery books..."

I will be buying that one, for sure. It is on my list. I recenty made room for a small bookcase at my kitchen door to hold cookbooks.

message 35: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) Barb wrote: "Pat wrote: "Has anyone read Jenn McKinlay Cupcakes Mysteries? I have read her Library bookstore mysteries and they are very good."

I like the Cupcake series better than the Library series :)"

So do I.

message 36: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) L J wrote: "Just in case you didn't know about this: Joanne Fluke's Lake Eden Cookbook: Hannah Swensen's Recipes from the Cookie Jar. I don't think it has all the recipes from the mystery books..."

I have the cookbook and it has most of the recipes in the earlier books. I can't abide the series anymore and haven't read one in some time.

message 37: by L J (last edited Jul 16, 2018 08:18PM) (new)

L J | 596 comments Just started Survival of the Fritters by Ginger Bolton. There are special arrangements for cat to be in office without entering food areas. Finally someone acknowledges that in USA only service animals would be allowed in food areas.
Not impressed with how Emily reacts to finding dead body. Doing anything other than calling police asap is tstl. Searching? Really?

message 38: by L J (new)

L J | 596 comments If anyone is looking for more cozy mystery associated cookbooks Cozy Mysteries Cookbook: Recipes from Hope Callaghan's Cozy Mystery Books is on Amazon Best Sellers in Cozy Mystery Top 100 Free list at the moment.

message 39: by Chris (new)

Chris L J wrote: "You might want to look at Literary Cookbooks List: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2...
The Nero Wolfe Cookbook and Cooking Out of This World we..."

Thanks - I will have to begin going through this list!

message 40: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (mamanyt) | 129 comments LOL, thanks guys. I just budgeted a bookcase for my little dining nook off my kitchen. It will house my actual cookbooks, as well as my culinary cozies! At this rate, I may have to have two of them!

message 41: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) L J wrote: "If anyone is looking for more cozy mystery associated cookbooks Cozy Mysteries Cookbook: Recipes from Hope Callaghan's Cozy Mystery Books is on Amazon Best Sellers in Cozy Mystery T..."

Thanks! Picked that up!

message 42: by C. (new)

C. | 84 comments Flipped for Murder (Country Store Mysteries, #1) by Maddie Day

Miss Spelled (The Kitchen Witch, #1) by Morgana Best

and for chocoholics~ Dark, Witch & Creamy (Bewitched by Chocolate #1) by H.Y. Hanna

message 43: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (nancyjcohen) | 42 comments I just finished reading Killer Crab Cakes by Livia J. Washburn Killer Crab Cakes. It was a cute story with a food focus. And if I may point out, my upcoming title, Trimmed to Death, Trimmed to Death (Bad Hair Day Mystery, #15) by Nancy J. Cohen , features a bake-off contest and includes ten new recipes.

message 44: by L J (last edited Aug 08, 2018 12:20AM) (new)

L J | 596 comments Just found something new to me:Vered Ehsani Cozy Tea Shoppe Mysteries.
#1 Murder for Tea (Cozy Tea Shoppe Mysteries #1) by Vered Ehsani Murder for Tea and #2 Death in a Teacup (Cozy Tea Shoppe Mysteries Book 2) by Vered Ehsani Death in a Teacup. Description says Jane Austen meets Lara Croft in colonial Africa in sequel to the "Society for Paranormals" series. I've at least heard of those but haven't read any.

message 45: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (mamanyt) | 129 comments I think I'll go a little crazy and spend the next month or so buying ALL of the Tamar Myers "Pennsylvania Dutch" series. I actually like Magdalena Yoder. She reminds me very much of one of my great-Aunts (there were 13 of them).

message 46: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) Rebecca wrote: "I think I'll go a little crazy and spend the next month or so buying ALL of the Tamar Myers "Pennsylvania Dutch" series. I actually like Magdalena Yoder. She reminds me very much of one of my great..."

I liked those for awhile. Then all the "wailing" finally got on my last nerve! LOL