Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Death in the Vines: 2 Stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Death in the Vines (Verlaque and Bonnet, #3) by M.L. Longworth

Death in the Vines, M.L. Longworth

★ ★

The owner of the winery that Helene Paulik works for has discovered that random bottles of wine are disappearing, some very rare, some not-so rare, and they know it is an inside job. Judge Antoine Verlaque hires a former wine thief turned connoisseur to help investigate.

A young woman is found raped & strangulated, while recovering in the hospital she suddenly dies from heart failure; an older woman w/ the onset of Alzheimer's who causes an untold amount of problems for her neighbors goes missing, eventually to be found dead (coshed in the head w/ a rock) in the aforementioned vineyard; and third woman is found dead, also raped & strangulated in her apartment.

Verlaque requests the aid of his girlfriend, law professor, Marine Bonnet with investigating the disappearance of Marine's neighbor, the woman w/ Alzheimer's.

I can not quite put my finger on why I didn't particularly care for this one; I think maybe it was incomplete.

We were never told much about the two women who were raped & murdered; there wasn't enough story of the missing wine; and the thing I found really off was when one of the suspects turned out to be the newest member of Verlaque's cigar club, another member got very nasty rude w/ Verlaque for doing his job and questioning the man.

This book also lacked the rich dining experiences & personal touch between Verlaque & Marine.

From my experience, every series has it's disappointing installment, so far as I have read, this is the one. I have 2 more remaining in the series.... I hope the others read better.

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7877 comments You lost me at rape.

Also, how disappointing! I love just about any book set in a vineyard/at a winery, but will not be adding this one to my TBR.

And, I cannot believe you are going to continue the series! I think I would call it quits.

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Nicole R wrote: "You lost me at rape.

Also, how disappointing! I love just about any book set in a vineyard/at a winery, but will not be adding this one to my TBR.

And, I cannot believe you are going to continue ..."

Thankfully, it was graphic, it wasn't explained or detailed... it was the word used and nothing more. I avoid graphic violence at all costs

Also, I like the series, and I've noticed that most series have at least one sinker...

I did stop reading Evanovich after a while, # 12 peeved me royally, and after that they became all the same.