Horror Aficionados discussion

Group Reads > July 2018 Group Read Nominations #1

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jon Recluse (last edited Jun 17, 2018 10:28PM) (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
As you all may or may not be aware, horror author Brian Keene was badly burned in an accident recently, and is without health insurance. My fellow moderator Ken suggested we dedicate this month's group read to Mr.Keene, hopefully gaining him some new fans and some much needed revenue through book sales.

Let's help out one of the most generous and decent authors in horror, and find something awesome to read at the same time.

Also, please take note of July 2018 Group Read Nomination thread #2.

message 2: by Lena (new)

Lena | 2492 comments Good idea. I’ve never read him so I’ll leave nominations up to others.

message 3: by Marc-Antoine (new)

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments I’m in.

message 4: by Alan (new)

Alan | 5526 comments Mod
What an awesome idea. I'll start things off by recommending some of my absolute faves by him:

The Conqueror Worms - A Lovecraft-meets-Waterworld post-apocalyptic doozy full of giant creatures, reminiscent of the PA novels by Simon Clark.
Dark Hollow - Women begin disappearing in a small town while eerie music can be heard piping in the woods and it's up to an author to discover the center of this horrifying mystery.
Dead Sea - An unlikely group of survivors take to the ocean to escape a zombie apocalypse.

I believe these are all examples of Keene at his finest will whet people's appetites for more.

message 5: by Tyler (new)

Tyler J Gray (wickedjr89) | 926 comments I wish him the best in recovering. I don't know what happened but wish him the best.

I've only heard good things about his works and have been wanting to check them out, but haven't yet. I'll definitely try and join in whatever gets chosen.

message 6: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Martin (kellymartinbooks) | 3 comments Dark Hollow sounds amazing and I hope he has a speedy and full recovery.

message 7: by Alan (new)

Alan | 5526 comments Mod
Stephanie wrote: "I wish him the best in recovering. I don't know what happened but wish him the best.

I've only heard good things about his works and have been wanting to check them out, but haven't yet. I'll defi..."

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 8: by Tyler (new)

Tyler J Gray (wickedjr89) | 926 comments Alan wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "I wish him the best in recovering. I don't know what happened but wish him the best.

I've only heard good things about his works and have been wanting to check them out, but have..."

Thank you, I wish him a full recovery

message 9: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 1656 comments YES! I've only read one of his but have several on my TBR.
I Nominate
The Conqueror Worms by Brian Keene
Darkness on the Edge of Town by Brian Keene
Dark Hollow by Brian Keene
Urban Gothic by Brian Keene
Sending out all my good vibes to the ether for him :)

message 10: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Appleby-Dean (benjaminappleby-dean) I haven't read his work either but this is a really good idea - hoping he has a full recovery.

message 11: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Zaccaria | 161 comments I nominate Pressure

Pressure by Brian Keene

Summer/ocean themed creature feature

message 12: by Phil (new)

Phil (chaoseum) | 785 comments I’d nominate Dark Hollow and The Complex.

message 13: by Anabella (new)

Anabella | 81 comments Once again, my library falls short on Goodreads nominations. I wanted to borrow Dark Hollow but they don't have it.

message 14: by Marie Helene (new)

Marie Helene | 716 comments Good idea. I've never read something from him but will join in whatever gets chosen.

message 15: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonobergh) Well, since I'm a musician, I'll second the choice of anything with a music-related theme, so: Dark Hollow.

message 16: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1761 comments what a great idea!!!

I'd like to nominate Urban Gothic
Urban Gothic by Brian Keene

which I see Melanie has also nominated in her list :)

message 17: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis My thoughts go out to him for a healthy recovery.

I incidentally just started reading Castaways today.
I will second Darkness on the Edge of Town, but will participate in whatever wins for the group read.

message 18: by Tyler (new)

Tyler J Gray (wickedjr89) | 926 comments I'll second Pressure just because I love me some sea creatures but do plan on participating with whatever wins.

message 19: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 11278 comments Mod
Vicki Willis wrote: "My thoughts go out to him for a healthy recovery.

I incidentally just started reading Castaways today.
I will second Darkness on the Edge of Town, but will participa..."

ohh! I wonder if he took that second title from The doors- The end song. I feel like I've ask this before ...

message 20: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 11278 comments Mod
I haven't read anything by him either so i'll leave the nominating up to others.

message 21: by Hectaizani (new)

Hectaizani | 165 comments I vote for Dead Sea or The Rising because I own both of them. :)

message 22: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 6433 comments Mod
I'll add a vote to Dark Hollow by Brian Keene , and Dead Sea by Brian Keene .

I'd like to purchase a physical copy for my shelves of those, and this would be the perfect time. :)

message 23: by Steve (new)

Steve Vernon (stevevernon) | 13 comments Dark Hollow.

Ghoul.

message 24: by M.E. (new)

M.E. | 409 comments Adding another vote for Dark Hollow

message 25: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 515 comments What a good idea. Pressure sounds good!

message 26: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Kiernan | 110 comments I want to nominate Urban Gothic

message 27: by Joseph (new)

Joseph VanBuren This is such a great idea! Brian Keene does so much for the horror community. This is one way people can help him out in his time of need. I nominate Ghoul.

message 28: by Brian (new)

Brian Keene | 16 comments Hi Folks -- Just wanted to pop my head in and say thank you. It means a lot. <3

message 29: by Michael (new)

Michael Hicks (michaelpatrickhicks) | 989 comments I've only read a small portion of Brian's works (the first two books in The Rising series, Complex, Pressure, School's Out, and the Clickers books he co-wrote with JF Gonzalez), so odds are, based on what's been nominated so far, I'll be able to read whatever gets picked for the first time. Alan, Melanie, Kimberly - I second each and every one of these picks! :)

message 30: by Kim (new)

Kim | 147 comments I have read Brian's zombie books. They were awesome! I will join and read whatever book wins!

message 31: by Kimberly (new)

Brian wrote: "Hi Folks -- Just wanted to pop my head in and say thank you. It means a lot. <3"

You (and Mary) are in our thoughts. Wishing you a fast recovery. :)

message 32: by Elliott (new)

Elliott Scott (elliottjscott) | 10 comments I haven't read any of Brian's work, but I'm more than excited to support his recovery. I'll cast my vote for PRESSURE.

message 33: by Marie Helene (new)

Marie Helene | 716 comments Marie-Helene wrote: "Good idea. I've never read something from him but will join in whatever gets chosen."

I will try to get a paperback
Wishing Brian a fast recovery 🌹

message 34: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 1656 comments Brian wrote: "Hi Folks -- Just wanted to pop my head in and say thank you. It means a lot. <3"

You're welcome Brian. It's the least we can do to say 'thanks' for all the enjoyment and escapism we've had as a result of your work and dedication.

message 35: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissa52572) | 79 comments I'm in! I have Ghoul and Darkness at the End of Town.

message 36: by Ami (last edited Jun 24, 2018 03:54AM) (new)

Ami | 210 comments Omg, I had no idea something happend to Brian. D: That is terrible news! I've read some of his short stories, which are always so fun, and I have been wanting to read his novels for a while now, so I am excited to be a part of this one....

I will also say "YAY" to Pressure, Conqueror Worm, and Dead Sea. They have been on my TBR list for some time. Also Darkness on the Edge of Town because that one sounds fun!

message 37: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 215 comments Any of his initial Leisure Books titles.
My favorites are GHOUL and URBAN GOTHIC.

message 38: by Christina (new)

Christina Helène Teal | 1 comments Aww, poor guy. Wishing him a swift recovery. I have yet to read his work but highly intrigued in Dark Hallow so I will happily purchase for the cause!

message 39: by Alan (new)

Alan | 5526 comments Mod
Brian wrote: "Hi Folks -- Just wanted to pop my head in and say thank you. It means a lot. <3"

Glad to see you're doing well enough to pop in and say thanks. Here's hoping for a continued and speedy recovery.

message 40: by Chris (new)

Chris Adler (chrisadler) WOW, SOOOOOO Many to to choose from! They're all great!
I've read almost every book he's written but if you've never read anything by him, I'm going to suggest "The Rising" or "Dark Hollow" to kind of start off in his world. Really though everything he's written has been fantastic! I' haven't had a chance to read "Pressure" yet, so that's my official vote.
I'm in for anything Brian Keene has done.

message 41: by Pixelina (new)

Pixelina | 63 comments I just started The Complex and it's a cool one. So I second that one

message 42: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3719 comments I will nominate three books:

Castaways by Brian Keene (I haven't read this one yet)
The Complex by Brian Keene (Haven't read this one either)
Dark Hollow by Brian Keene (I loved this book! It was my first introduction to Brian Keene)

message 43: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) Wow, I don't know why I have been away from this group for so long. What an amazing thing to do. I am going to purchase and read more than one. I will also keep Brian in my prayers. This group rules.

message 44: by Ami (new)

Ami | 210 comments Oooo, Castaways does sound good too! >.< Too many books to choose from... I don't know how I'm going to be able to vote on just 1 when the poll comes out soon...

message 45: by Kimberly (new)

Ami wrote: "Oooo, Castaways does sound good too! >.< Too many books to choose from... I don't know how I'm going to be able to vote on just 1 when the poll comes out soon..."

I know! I will go with whatever wins, and if I've already bought that one, just pick out another for the shelves.

message 46: by Ami (new)

Ami | 210 comments Kimberly wrote: "Ami wrote: "Oooo, Castaways does sound good too! >.

I know! I will go with whatever wins, and if I've already bought that one, just pick out another for the shelves."

I plan to do that too! :D

message 47: by Payal (new)

Payal Pasha I have never read him before but after going through so much praise for his work I will definitely read him. Prayers for his fast recovery.

message 48: by Pixelina (new)

Pixelina | 63 comments I did see the poll and voted but when i wanted to see the score it is gone.

message 49: by Cat (new)

Cat | 2 comments If we can still cast a vote in the poll, I vote for Dark Hollow and The Complex. But honestly I will read the book the fans here pick. I know whatever book is chosen will be a fun dark ride. Well..depends on your version of fun.