Sci-Fi Group Book Club discussion

Archived Group Reads > Horror in Science Fiction (themed group read)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
This is the horror in science fiction discussion topic for the mid-June to mid-July group read. As two books received a relatively large (though not equal) number of first-preference votes in the poll, I figured that both could be discussed here. These books are The Stand by Stephen King and Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky.

As per usual, please remember to use the spoiler tags where necessary as not everyone will be reading at the same pace.

message 2: by Thorkell (new)

Thorkell Ottarsson | 209 comments Oh, nice. Both up for discussion. I just started on The Stand. I decided to read the uncut version, which is something like 400 pages longer than the other version. Which version of The Stand are the rest of you reading?

message 3: by Thorkell (new)

Thorkell Ottarsson | 209 comments There are SO many characters in The Stand! This might help! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...

message 4: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Just wondering what people's thoughts were on the chosen horror in sci-fi reads. Were they good or not-so-good?

message 5: by David (last edited Jul 17, 2018 07:52PM) (new)

David Lutkins | 0 comments I just couldn't get into The Stand. I was looking forward to reading it because I really loved 11/22/63, which I read recently, but The Stand left me cold and I put it down after 400 pages or so. I will probably finish it, but it may take a year. I had read Metro 2033 less than a year ago, and wasn't up for a re-read of that one.

message 6: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
David wrote: "I just couldn't get into The Stand. I was looking forward to reading it because I really loved 11/22/63, which I read recently, but The Stand left me col..."

I remember not caring much for the 1994 mini-TV series at the time - I think I thought it was too slow. It sounds like that might be the book's problem as well.

message 7: by Thorkell (new)

Thorkell Ottarsson | 209 comments I hated The Stand. Hated it so much that I did not even feel like discussing it.

Metro 2033 was quite good. I liked how it kind of captured the whole world. Different philosophies and religions.

message 8: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Thorkell wrote: "I hated The Stand. Hated it so much that I did not even feel like discussing it."

:O I guess I'm glad that I didn't have a copy to hand.... Lots of negative waves emanating from this tome!

message 9: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Does anyone want me to keep this group live into August?