J.D. Robb discussion

Archive-BOM Noms/Polls 2021 > July Book of the Month Nominations - Closed

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10537 comments Mod
Nominations are now being accepted for our July 2018 Book of the Month.

Please note: You may nominate any book from the Mystery/Suspense/Thriller genre or from any one of the many sub genres, with the exception of books by J.D. Robb and Nora Roberts. We explore Robb's In Death series in Buddy Reads & other discussions in this group. And we read & discuss Nora Roberts books with our sister group, Nora Roberts Groupies. We encourage you to join the discussions any time.

Nominations open June 17-22
Poll open June 23-28

Monthly Book Nomination Guidelines:

1-Each member may nominate 2 books per month. Please include a link to the book that you nominate.

2-Please - Only nominate books that you intend to read and discuss with this group!

3-Nominated books must be from the Mystery/Suspense/Thriller genres or one of the many sub genres.

4-Nominated books must be the first book in a series unless the Robb group has previously read the preceding books.

5-If your nomination wins the poll, we would love for you to consider leading the Book of the Month discussion for that month.

6-J.D. Robb and Nora Robert books are not eligible for nomination. We invite you to join us as we explore the In Death series books in our In Death Buddy Reads and enjoy discussing the Nora Roberts titles in our sister group, Nora Roberts Groupies.

7-Should an issue arise that results in the winning book being disqualified, the book that received the 2nd most votes will automatically become the replacement Book of the Month.

message 2: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 13752 comments Mod
The Lying Game by Ruth Ware
The Lying Game by Ruth Ware

Description
On a cool June morning, a woman is walking her dog in the idyllic coastal village of Salten along a tidal estuary known as the Reach. Before she can stop him, the dog charges into the water to retrieve what first appears to be a wayward stick, but to her horror, turns out to be something much more sinister...

The next morning, three women in and around London—Fatima, Thea, and Isabel—receive the text they had always hoped would NEVER come, from the fourth in their formerly inseparable clique, Kate, that says only, “I need you.”

The four girls were best friends at Salten, a second rate boarding school set near the cliffs of the English Channel. Each different in their own way, the four became inseparable and were notorious for playing the Lying Game, telling lies at every turn to both fellow boarders and faculty, with varying states of serious and flippant nature that were disturbing enough to ensure that everyone steered clear of them. The myriad and complicated rules of the game are strict: no lying to each other—ever. Bail on the lie when it becomes clear it is about to be found out. But their little game had consequences, and the girls were all expelled in their final year of school under mysterious circumstances surrounding the death of the school’s eccentric art teacher, Ambrose (who also happens to be Kate’s father).

message 3: by Christine (new)

message 4: by Jonetta (new)

The President's Henchman by Joseph Flynn (currently free on Amazon)
The President's Henchman (Jim McGill, #1) by Joseph Flynn

Description
As we've just seen, it's only a matter of time--and not that long a time--before the United States elects its first female president. Which will make her husband--what?
Well, if he's the ex-cop who solved the murder of the president's first husband and brought the killers to justice...and if he's not the kind of guy to stand on formality...and if he doesn't want to be the head of the FBI...and if he takes out a license and becomes the first private eye to live in the White House...

That would make him The President's Henchman.

Jim McGill's first case is to find out who is stalking a member of the White House press corps, before that stalker turns the tables on McGill and maybe even threatens the president herself. He also has to be a shadow adviser to a young Air Force investigator who is looking into a he-said-she-said charge of adultery leveled against a female colonel working at the Pentagon, a case with the potential to derail the new president's administration before it has a chance to begin.

message 5: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 735 comments Jonetta wrote: "The President's Henchman by Joseph Flynn (currently free on Amazon)

Ordered it, just in case, and because it looks good!

message 6: by Paula (new)

Paula Adams (goodreadscompadams57) | 837 comments Charlene wrote: "Jonetta wrote: "The President's Henchman by Joseph Flynn (currently free on Amazon)

Ordered it, just in case, and because..."

I got it too, just in case.

message 7: by Jonetta (new)

So did I! Plucked it after reading a friend’s review.

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1 comments Charlene wrote: "Jonetta wrote: "The President's Henchman by Joseph Flynn (currently free on Amazon)

Ordered it, just in case, and because..."

This does look like a good read. I grabbed my copy too.

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan (cruelshoes) | 526 comments I nominate RAGDOLL by Daniel Cole
Ragdoll by Daniel Cole

William Fawkes, a controversial detective known as The Wolf, has just been reinstated to his post after he was suspended for assaulting a vindicated suspect. Still under psychological evaluation, Fawkes returns to the force eager for a big case. When his former partner and friend, Detective Emily Baxter, calls him to a crime scene, he’s sure this is it: the body is made of the dismembered parts of six victims, sewn together like a puppet—a corpse that becomes known as “The Ragdoll.”

Fawkes is tasked with identifying the six victims, but that gets dicey when his reporter ex-wife anonymously receives photographs from the crime scene, along with a list of six names, and the dates on which the Ragdoll Killer plans to murder them.

The final name on the list is Fawkes.

Baxter and her trainee partner, Alex Edmunds, hone in on figuring out what links the victims together before the killer strikes again. But for Fawkes, seeing his name on the list sparks a dark memory, and he fears that the catalyst for these killings has more to do with him—and his past—than anyone realizes.

With a breakneck pace, a twisty plot, and a wicked sense of humor, Ragdoll announces the arrival of the hottest new brand in crime fiction.

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan (cruelshoes) | 526 comments Just another note RAGDOLL is free with kindle unlimited.

message 11: by Jo Ann (last edited Jun 19, 2018 03:52PM) (new)

Jo Ann (jojog) | 349 comments A Dark Lure by Loreth Ann White A Dark Lure by Loreth Anne White

This book is free on Kindle Unlimited; same author as the Angie Pallorino series.

Twelve years ago, Sarah Baker was abducted by the Watt Lake Killer and sexually assaulted for months before managing to escape. The killer was caught, but Sarah lost everything: her marriage, her child, and the life she loved.

Struggling with PTSD, Sarah changes her name to Olivia West and finds sanctuary working on Broken Bar Ranch. But as her scars finally begin to heal, a cop involved with her horrific case remains convinced the Watt Lake Killer is still out there. He sets a lure for the murderer, and a fresh body is discovered. Now Olivia must face the impossible—could the butcher be back, this time to finish the job?

As a frigid winter isolates the ranch, only one person can help Olivia: Cole McDonough, a writer, adventurer, and ranch heir who stirs long-dormant feelings in her. But this time, Olivia’s determination to shut out her past may destroy more than her chance at love. It could cost her her life.

message 12: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 800 comments Jo Ann wrote: "A Dark Lure by Loreth Ann White A Dark Lure by Loreth Anne White

This book is free on Kindle Unlimited; same author as the Angie Pallorino series.

Twelve years ago, Sarah Baker was abducted by t..."

I had forgotten that I have this one and haven't read it yet. Great nomination, I love everything I've read by Loreth Anne White

message 13: by Jonetta (new)

This is going to be tough.

message 14: by Sandra (new)

Jo Ann wrote: "A Dark Lure by Loreth Ann White A Dark Lure by Loreth Anne White

Twelve years ago, Sarah Baker was abducted by t..."

I had thought about nominating this one! lol

message 15: by Sandra (new)

Jonetta wrote: "The President's Henchman by Joseph Flynn (currently free on Amazon)

Description
As we've just seen, it's only a matter of..."

I grabbed this one!

message 16: by Sandra (new)

Some great choices this month!

message 17: by Susan (new)

Susan (cruelshoes) | 526 comments wow tough choices