The Gothic Novel Book Club <Hiatus> discussion

Introductions > What is your favorite gothic novel and/or movie?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 82 (82 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Shainlock (new)

Shainlock  | 686 comments Mod
(This might help idea seekers and encourage a little discussion; one can hope)

message 2: by Angel (last edited Jun 17, 2018 06:49AM) (new)

Angel The House of Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne is one of my most favorite novels. I bought the paperback at a local dollar store when I was a teen. I would read it over and over again. It's one of those classic gothic novels I don't mind re-reading. And Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson. I don't mind re-reading it. I have a time or two or several. What's your favorite movie/ novel, Shaina?

message 3: by Shainlock (new)

I have got to read Jekyl and Hyde! I saw this movie over and over called Mary Reilly or something based on them and it was so interesting to me. Have you seen that? I loved others such classics as The Isle of Dr. Moreau.
I’ve been thinking on this one, Angel. I think I need to think a little more.
You must have a really awesome brain if you can handle some Hawthorne like that. My compliments. The first time I started reading it I do not think the author and I were on the same page. If you feel like discussing it more then please do! It would help me tons.
Will get back to the topic. Still thinking.
Thanks for your answer ! :)

message 4: by Kathy (last edited Jun 17, 2018 11:25AM) (new)

Kathy I really liked Dragonwyck by Anya Seton. I loved it in middle school and I loved it in middle age. In fact, I named my daughter Miranda after the main character. When I was young, I loved the gothic atmosphere and, of course, romance. As I was grew older, I loved the historical fiction aspect of it. I am also a big fan of Daphne du Maurier.

message 5: by Shainlock (new)

That is on my list! I need need to read that. That is so awesome that you loved it do much you named a daughter after a character!

message 6: by Kathy (new)

Kathy I hope you like it! There were some interesting historical aspects about landholding that I knew nothing about. Plus it had the chills and mystery along with a huge, ancient manor home.

message 7: by Shainlock (new)

So* argh

message 8: by Shainlock (new)

Yes! That is right in my zone. I really enjoy hearing about gothic properties. There is something about it that I can’t get enough of reading. I like when things are eerie. Strange word maybe but that is the one that I keep coming up with.

message 9: by Shainlock (new)

Oh btw, that little gecko 🦎 lizard in the picture of yours is to die for cute. I love it.

message 10: by Shainlock (new)

Oh yes, which Daphne Du Maurier is your favorite? I know Skye adores this author too. I loved the one I did read and I have Rebecca to catch up on reading. I’ve discovered that she is one in the genre you simply cannot skip.

message 11: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Thanks! We have a lot of geckos here in GA. I kind of adopted it as my alter ego.

message 12: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Rebecca is my favorite. The first line in the book is the best first line I have ever read in any book. I also liked Jamaica Inn. I didn't realize that Jamaica Inn was a real pub in the middle of a moor in the UK. The story was really unique. It seems Hitchcock made a lot of her stories into movies. I'll have to look for them on You Tube. The only one I have seen so far is "The Birds" which was pretty disturbing.

message 13: by Shainlock (new)

One of the other group ppl that friended me from this group (he must be on hiatus ) recommended Jamaica Inn to me. He says he’s been there and had a drink. He told me it was real.
Fascinating. I have heard of that movie. I had no idea she did that! Yes. Hitchcock was rather enterprising. It’s something to look into. I used to watch and read anything I could find of his.

message 14: by Shainlock (new)

Angel : Have you read or been recommended Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Seek? It’s a follow up on Dr. J and mr. H. I just saw it a little bit ago and added it to my list! It might be cool. Had to tell you about it just in case!

message 15: by Tantra (new)

Tantra Bensko (tantrabensko) | 33 comments Movie -- Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.

TV show -- Ed Internado.

Book -- A Dream of Orchids by Phyllis Whitney.

message 16: by Skye (new)

Skye | 364 comments I never read Jamaica Inn, but I adore Rebecca and My Cousin Rachel.

message 17: by Skye (new)

Skye | 364 comments I have another one I recently ordered but haven't read it, yet. It's called The Scape Goat; another wonderful book by this author is Frenchman's Creek.

message 18: by Skye (new)

Skye | 364 comments Tantra wrote: "Movie -- Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.

TV show -- Ed Internado.

Book -- A Dream of Orchids by Phyllis Whitney."

I adore Phyllis Whitney, and I loved A Dream of Orchids.

message 19: by Skye (new)

Skye | 364 comments Kathy wrote: "I really liked Dragonwyck by Anya Seton. I loved it in middle school and I loved it in middle age. In fact, I named my daughter Miranda after the main character. When I..."

I adord Dragonwyck,

message 20: by Skye (new)

Skye | 364 comments Shaina wrote: "I have got to read Jekyl and Hyde! I saw this movie over and over called Mary Reilly or something based on them and it was so interesting to me. Have you seen that? I loved others such classics as ..."
Great version: Malkovitch did a fabulous job and so did Julia Roberts.

message 21: by Tantra (new)

Tantra Bensko (tantrabensko) | 33 comments Skye wrote: "Tantra wrote: "Movie -- Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.

TV show -- Ed Internado.

Book -- A Dream of Orchids by Phyllis Whitney."

I adore Phyllis Whitney, and I loved A Dream of Orchids."

That's great to hear! I love how visually beautiful the images are in her novels. I just finished The Turquoise Mask, which I also love. So complex and surprising. She was such a brilliant author.

message 22: by Skye (new)

Skye | 364 comments I adored that one, too.

message 23: by Skye (new)

Skye | 364 comments I also love Victoria Holt, Dorothy Eden, Mary Stewart, et al.

message 24: by Angel (last edited Jun 18, 2018 12:19PM) (new)

Angel Shaina wrote: "Angel : Have you read or been recommended Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Seek? It’s a follow up on Dr. J and mr. H. I just saw it a little bit ago and added it to my list! It might be cool. Had to tell you abou..."

No, I haven't been recommended that one. Thanks for the recommendation, Shaina. I've added it to my tbr shelf. I've also added the other one Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Seek: The Strange Case Continues.

message 25: by Angel (last edited Jun 18, 2018 12:16PM) (new)

Angel Shaina wrote: "One of the other group ppl that friended me from this group (he must be on hiatus ) recommended Jamaica Inn to me. He says he’s been there and had a drink. He told me it was real.
Fascinating. I h..."

You love Hitchcock, too! I've been a fan of his for such a very, very long time. Some of my favorites of his are The Birds, Dial M for Murder, North by Northwest, Strangers on a Train, Rear Window, Shadow of a Doubt just to name some of them. I love anything from Alfred Hitchcock. Hitchcockian for life!

message 26: by Tantra (new)

Tantra Bensko (tantrabensko) | 33 comments Skye wrote: "I also love Victoria Holt, Dorothy Eden, Mary Stewart, et al."

Me, too!

message 27: by Angel (last edited Jun 18, 2018 12:27PM) (new)

Angel Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley's Frankenstein. She's on my favorite authors list. So is Shirley Jackson, Edgar Allan Poe, Nathaniel Hawthorne to name a few. Does anyone here share in those Gothic faves?

message 28: by Skye (new)

Skye | 364 comments I adore Poe and Nathaniel Hawthorn; but I have also read Shirley Jackson's The Lottery. How about Harvest Home by Thomas Tryon?

message 29: by Angel (new)

Angel Skye wrote: "I adore Poe and Nathaniel Hawthorn; but I have also read Shirley Jackson's The Lottery. How about Harvest Home by Thomas Tryon?"

Me too. I love Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery."

message 30: by Shainlock (new)

I have Shirley Jackson on my list! Hey Tantra :)
I love Mary Stewart. Someone mentioned her. Oh gosh, there are so many good things!

message 31: by Shainlock (new)

Anyone else love the old times Twilight Zone? The old black and white ones?
Oooh yes. I love Poe’s work! I just finished reading it again.

message 32: by Tantra (new)

Tantra Bensko (tantrabensko) | 33 comments Definitely.

message 33: by Shainlock (new)

You saw Mary Reilly, Skye? Awesome. I just couldn’t help but watch it every time it was on. Malcovich was great in that role. So was Roberts.

message 34: by Angel (new)

Angel Shaina wrote: "Anyone else love the old times Twilight Zone? The old black and white ones?
Oooh yes. I love Poe’s work! I just finished reading it again."

Yes, something else we have in common. I love, love, love the old Twilight Zone.

message 35: by Shainlock (new)

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. Tantra all those things sound very intriguing. I need to check into all of them! You make the book sound enchanting !

message 36: by Skye (new)

Skye | 364 comments Shaina wrote: "You saw Mary Reilly, Skye? Awesome. I just couldn’t help but watch it every time it was on. Malcovich was great in that role. So was Roberts."

Yes, I love it, and I also loved old Twilight Zone and the X-Files, too.

message 37: by Shainlock (new)

Angel this is neat!!! I want them on DVD or blu ray. Do you also like old horror films anyone like vintage Vincent Price and things like that ?
There is a good modern one that I have seen. I thought Crimson Peak was freaky but very gothic. There is a book and a movie.

message 38: by Tantra (new)

Tantra Bensko (tantrabensko) | 33 comments Dr. Caligari can be bought online but to see something about it: https://youtu.be/yIx-D47Mp_A

I really enjoyed Crimson Peak and was glad it brought so many people back to an interest in the Gothic.

message 39: by Shainlock (new)

Thank you for the link!!

I read the book first because I had heard of the movie forthcoming. I like the writer’s type of work. I could isn’t wait.
Oh yes, I meant to mention that the topic of incest you brought up, I meant to tell you, that you are definitely into something. I owe you an apology. Coincidently several of my gothic reads lately have had that crop up. You are certainly into something. I wonder why this is a thing.

message 40: by Shainlock (new)

Tantra do you mind telling about the tv show you mentioned ?! I mean a gothic tb show !!! Really ? Excited.

message 41: by Shainlock (new)

Kathy: if you find them and feel like sharing the links for everyone ... feel free. I think a lot of ppl here would love that :)

message 42: by Tantra (new)

Tantra Bensko (tantrabensko) | 33 comments Shaina wrote: "Thank you for the link!!

I read the book first because I had heard of the movie forthcoming. I like the writer’s type of work. I could isn’t wait.
Oh yes, I meant to mention that the topic of in..."

Thank you, Shaina, I really appreciate it.

Well, you know they say, in a Gothic, you "always" find out that the important people are related (like in the Whitney novels.) Mistaken incest was a special concern when the Gothic arose because of the shake up of families with the French Revolution, especially with so many children hiding their identity. We follow characters into the darkest tunnels and dungeons and wombs...

Yes, El Internado (The Boarding School) is Spanish, subtitled, with a wide cast of excellent-acted characters across all age groups of students and people associated with the school, including a woman who escapes an institution to run to it in the woods and hiding her identity, takes a job there. It's got those secret tunnels and medical experiments, doomed love, ghosts, capture and betrayal, finding out that people are related. Some high school students band together to discover some of these things in this intense mystery. I watched it over and over!

message 43: by Shainlock (new)

Oh. Very good points. Something to ponder and research for sure. Thank you for helping me with that.

Wow. That sounds intriguing. It would also help me practice Spanish. Around here it is a good language to know, and I’ve been researching ruins in Mexico since high school. I’d love that. So glad you mentioned it. You are a wealth of info. Glad to have you.

message 44: by Skye (new)

Skye | 364 comments It does sound very interesting.

Shaina is our anthropologist, so she is very knowledgeable about many things most of us aren't.

message 45: by Tantra (new)

Tantra Bensko (tantrabensko) | 33 comments Wow, researching ruins sounds fascinating.

message 46: by Shainlock (new)

Oh, well thank you, Skye.
And yes, I love archaeology. Getting to see and touch the things you learn about is fulfilling. One discipline you love just leads you into another and another. :) I have a background in art and art history and then separately in history. I love studying things. I love me some gothic architecture!
Not just reading about it, but staring at it, drawing it, visiting it, etc,. Anyone ?

message 47: by Kathy (last edited Jun 19, 2018 03:13PM) (new)

Kathy Skye wrote: "I adore Poe and Nathaniel Hawthorn; but I have also read Shirley Jackson's The Lottery. How about Harvest Home by Thomas Tryon?"

Loved Harvest Home. Thomas Tryon also wrote The Other which I liked. I liked the movie Crimson Peak too. The use of color in the film made it so atmospheric and brooding. Has anyone watched the TV series Penny Dreadful?

How interesting to research archeology and architecture! I took a semester of architecture in college. I had some interesting architecture history courses. I have been meaning to readThe Visitors by Sally Beauman -- maybe a nomination for one of our upcoming book reads. Another interesting book on architecture is Hawksmoor by Peter Ackroyd. It brings up hidden symbols and sacred geometry in churches built in London. The book is a bit dark though.

message 48: by Shainlock (new)

Dark doesn’t bother me. Oh those are some more I would enjoy.... yes. We need to keep them as future nominations.
The book of it is really good, Crimson Peak. And yes the color —wow.

message 49: by Skye (new)

Skye | 364 comments These sound good, and I have seen Crimson Peak.

message 50: by Skye (new)

Skye | 364 comments One of the three books i am reading would fit perfectly into this schema, too. Blood Harvest; many Gothic elements.

« previous 1