Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > Miles Franklin Literary Award - WINNER 2018

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (last edited Jun 17, 2018 03:30AM) (new)

Brenda | 72344 comments Mod
The finalists are in for the 2018 Miles Franklin Literary Award:

Felicity Castagna, No More Boats, Giramondo Publishing
Michelle de Kretser, The Life to Come, Allen & Unwin
Eva Hornung, The Last Garden, Text Publishing
Catherine McKinnon, Storyland, HarperCollins Publishers
Gerald Murnane, Border Districts: A Fiction, Giramondo Publishing
Kim Scott, Taboo, Picador Australia (Pan Macmillan Australia)

message 2: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

I haven't read any of those!

message 3: by Ace (new)

Ace (aceonroam) I tried to read Life to Come, but it wasn't working so I borrowed the audiobook. It may work better for me.

I hear Storyland is very good. I have it out on Overdrive.

message 4: by Ace (new)

Ace (aceonroam) Thanks for posting the shortlist Brenda!

message 5: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

You're welcome Ace 😊 I don't like Kim Scott or Michelle de Krester's writing. Not sure about the others...

message 6: by Noelene (new)

Noelene | 364 comments I haven't read any of these either. I also struggle with Michelle de Krester's writing. Have had 3 goes at Questions of Travel. Problem might be that I am listening to it rather than reading it.

message 7: by Tim (new)

Tim | 39 comments And my 'to read' list just got a little longer...

message 8: by Mish (new)

Mish | 3501 comments I haven't read any of those yet. But I'd like to read Storyland & The Last Garden one day.

message 9: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Noelene wrote: "I haven't read any of these either. I also struggle with Michelle de Krester's writing. Have had 3 goes at Questions of Travel. Problem might be that I am listening to it rather than reading it."

I totally didn't get that one - disliked intensely!! lol

message 10: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Mish wrote: "I haven't read any of those yet. But I'd like to read Storyland & The Last Garden one day."

I checked out Storyland and discovered it's short stories - an anthology I suppose - I don't like short stories!! lol

message 11: by Ace (new)

Ace (aceonroam) Sofie Laguna will announce the winner on Sunday at 4pm at the Melbourne Writers Festival!

message 12: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Thanks Ace!!

message 13: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

The winner has been announced:

The Life to Come by Michelle de Kretser The Life to Come by Michelle de Kretser

message 14: by Ace (new)

Ace (aceonroam) Brenda wrote: "The winner has been announced:

The Life to Come by Michelle de Kretser The Life to Come by Michelle de Kretser"

I tried to like this book, but it just didn't happen for me!

message 15: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

I didn't like her previous, so didn't bother with this one! I really don't take to much Literary Fiction I'm afraid!

message 16: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (nicehotcupoftea) | 770 comments I've got this on my list for September, so I quickly reserved it at the library before the rush. I enjoyed her previous winner, so I'm hopeful that I'll like this too!

message 17: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 1757 comments Valerie wrote: "I've got this on my list for September, so I quickly reserved it at the library before the rush. I enjoyed her previous winner, so I'm hopeful that I'll like this too!"

I’ve enjoyed both, but probably preferred QoT overall (mainly because of that stunning ending).

message 18: by WF (new)

WF | 28 comments I read her Questions of Travel when it won another award years ago, and while I did not dislike it, I found it quite unoriginal, (I recognised a very strong Patrick White influence, besides a few other derivations). Don't think I will bother with this.

message 19: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 8452 comments I also wasn't overwhelmed by QoT, so haven't rushed to read The Life to Come. I guess I should sometime.

message 20: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

You don't have to Carolyn ;)

message 21: by Tracey Allen (new)

Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum (carpelibrum) | 814 comments Just saw this discussion thread and thought I’d share that I was there for the announcement. It was my first ever book award event and I loved it. (Am attending 3 more events for the MWF today too.)

message 22: by Ace (new)

Ace (aceonroam) Tracey Allen wrote: "Just saw this discussion thread and thought I’d share that I was there for the announcement. It was my first ever book award event and I loved it. (Am attending 3 more events for the MWF today too.)"

That's awesome Tracy, how exciting, so did you meet Sofie Laguna? I just adore her writing.

message 23: by Tracey Allen (new)

Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum (carpelibrum) | 814 comments Ace wrote: "That's awesome Tracy, how exciting, so did you meet Sofie Laguna? I just adore her writing. ..."

Thanks Ace, no I didn't meet her, but I enjoyed her reading the most out of the authors there. She was terrific.

message 24: by Diana (new)

Diana (secondhandrose) | 1706 comments Tracey Allen wrote: "Just saw this discussion thread and thought I’d share that I was there for the announcement. It was my first ever book award event and I loved it. (Am attending 3 more events for the MWF today too.)"

What events did you attend? I didn't book anything this year.

message 25: by Tracey Allen (new)

Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum (carpelibrum) | 814 comments Diana wrote: "What events did you attend? I didn't book anything this year. ..."

I just came back from three events actually:
Mitchell Coombes - Life After Death
Female Thrillers - Candice Fox, Susi Fox and Megan Goldin, and Majok Tulba - When Elephants Fight

They were all terrific.

message 26: by Sheree (new)

Sheree | Keeping Up With The Penguins (keepingupwiththepenguins) | 6 comments Valerie wrote: "I've got this on my list for September, so I quickly reserved it at the library before the rush. I enjoyed her previous winner, so I'm hopeful that I'll like this too!"

Hahahaha good thinking!! I'm going to be waiting for the flood of copies to come in to my local secondhand bookstores... ;)