SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Members' Chat > Book Hauls

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John | 401 comments Mostly out of curiosity as to what people are looking for and actually finding on their book searches. What titles did you pick up on your latest visit to the thrift shop? Used book store? Did you buy something awesome new?

Look forward to seeing what you guys are finding.

message 2: by John (last edited Jun 17, 2018 03:47AM) (new)

John | 401 comments As I've mentioned in other threads, I get a majority of my books from thrift shops. Hadn't gone in a few months so decided to venture out this morning, boy did I find some gems.

Some of the top list items from the thrift shops:
Inferno Squad $2
Too Like the Lightning $2
Babylon's Ashes $2
Psychohistorical Crisis $3
First Words: Earliest Writing from Favorite Contemporary Authors $0.10

From the used bookstore I frequent the most:
Brave New Words: The Oxford Dictionary of Science Fiction $10 I'm really excited about this one for the SciFi Evolution group I'm in.

And I got two big cherries for the top of the sundae:
Signed copy of Provenance $20
A first edition leather bound Easton Press, signed version of The Martians $50

I brought home a total of 30 new to me books.

message 3: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new)

Anna (vegfic) | 9645 comments Mod
I recently ordered a used hardback copy of The Shadow Speaker for £0.01. I don't have it yet, so don't know if the condition is indeed "very good", but I expect it'll be readable. It isn't available on Kindle and seems to be out of print, so I was very happy to find it.

message 4: by CBRetriever (new)

CBRetriever | 4627 comments I buy Kindle books on Amazon and lately certain individual titles in Peter Bowen's Gabriel Du Pre mystery series have been down to $1.99 and I've picked up 6 of them

I don't go to book stores or thrift stores any more since I went digital, but I keep a wish list on Amazon and ereaderiq (they notify me of discounts) so I do buy a lot of books in groups

message 5: by Shanna (last edited Jun 17, 2018 06:54AM) (new)

Shanna | 43 comments I'm not usually looking for anything specific. I'm drawn to classic sci-fi from the 50's and 60's, and also short stories. My most recent random find at Goodwill was Stories of Suspense .

@John- Brave New Words: The Oxford Dictionary of Science Fiction looks quite interesting!

message 6: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dylbud) My thing is finding matching sets of a series. They have to match in size, cover, edition, etc. But they also have to match in approximate condition. If book 1 is in good condition, and book 2 has dog-eared corners, or creases in the spine, then it's a no-go on book 2.

I rarely find a whole series all at once that fits the bill. Sometimes you find two out of three, and then you have to decide whether to risk the investment on the chance that you might someday find the remaining title in the same edition and condition as the first two.

But this quandary in itself keeps the bookstore visits interesting. I am always keeping an eye out for the missing titles in the various incomplete sets I've collected, in copies that meet the specs I've already committed to.

message 7: by John (new)

John | 401 comments Dylan wrote: "My thing is finding matching sets of a series. They have to match in size, cover, edition, etc. But they also have to match in approximate condition. If book 1 is in good condition, and book 2 has ..."

I too keep an eye out for series as well. I as well want good quality copies, but have in the past have picked up entire sets with some questionable condition involved.

My biggest concern though is having at least the first few books of a series, I will rarely buy into a series without having #1 or 2 in hand, or on the shelf, which is a problem because I always find book #5 or 8 of a series.

message 8: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dylbud) John wrote: "My biggest concern though is having at least the first few books of a series, I will rarely buy into a series without having #1 or 2 in hand, or on the shelf, which is a problem because I always find book #5 or 8 of a series"

Yep, that is so true. I think what happens is someone sells their copies of a series to the used book store, and then some other customer comes and buys book #1, just to try it out. Now we're left with books 2 thru n, and you feel like Kirk in Star Trek II ... ("KHAAAAN!!!!").

But if they are really nice, I'll just buy them anyway, and hope, pray and connive to obtain the missing #1 somehow, somewhere, someday....

message 9: by John (new)

John | 401 comments Dylan wrote: "But if they are really nice, I'll just buy them anyway, and hope, pray and connive to obtain the missing #1 somehow, somewhere, someday.... "

I'm leery of doing that with not so well known series, still have a couple of series floating around that I've yet to find the first books of. Yet if it is a well known series than I would probably jump on them for sure.

message 10: by Trike (last edited Oct 25, 2018 08:03PM) (new)

Trike My book hauls from the past couple months:

I had to recreate this one as I apparently deleted the two photos these originally appeared in.

The Art of Painted Comics - pretty much what the cover says. Awesome art from the pulp era to today.
Marvelocity: The Marvel Comics Art of Alex Ross - the companion piece to Ross' excellent DC collection.
Dinosaurs etc. - self-explanatory. Cool pictures and comprehensive collection of mammal megafauna, plus it was on sale.
Astro City, Vol. 16: Broken Melody and Astro City, Vol. 15: Ordinary Heroes - the most recent editions of the long-running series (not pictured: Manifest Destiny, Vol. 6: Fortis and Invisibilia)
Irontown Blues - the latest John Varley Eight Worlds novel. Lunar noir!
Cocktails and Capers: Cult Cinema, Cocktails, Crime, & Cool - B movies, scandals and speakeasies, by fellow GR denizen Keith Allison. I loves me some movies. (I went to film school.)
Avengers of the Moon: A Captain Future Novel - speaking of pulp fiction, this is Allen Steele's version. Looks like fun.
The Fated Sky - sequel to The Calculating Stars by Kowal, which I loved.
Pushing Ice - I've been wanting to read this for a while so I finally got it. The print is microscopic, so I probably should've gotten the ebook version.

The Wrong Stars - I don't recall what this is about, but I remember it sounded interesting and the sampled bits were good.
Robots vs. Fairies - short stories featuring robots and fairies, and at least one robot fairy, which convinced me to buy it.
Time Shards - again with the no recollection of details, but I'll trust September me to have made good choices.
Embers of War - ok this is getting embarrassing. Space Opera, I guess?
Curious Cameras: 183 Cool Cameras from the Strange to the Spectacular - I like photography and I collect cameras, so...
Typewriter: A Celebration of the Ultimate Writing Machine - I don't collect these but this looked cool. It was on sale, too.

Analog, Vol. 1 - part of today's purchases, a Science Fiction graphic novel that looked interesting.
The Promise of Space and Other Stories - all SF stories by James Patrick Kelly. Apparently I was on a short story kick today.
Tomorrow Factory: Collected Fiction - all SF stories by Rich Larson, who is new to me.
Infinity's End - SF story anthology edited by Jonathan Strahan.

Edit: I just noticed there are like little skeleton reflections here. So weird and spooky. Because October, I guess.

message 12: by John (new)

John | 401 comments Trike, how do you like the Marvelocity book? I was eyeballing the B&N limited edition one.

message 13: by Trike (new)

Trike John wrote: "Trike, how do you like the Marvelocity book? I was eyeballing the B&N limited edition one."

I haven’t read it yet, but if it’s anything like his DC and Valiant collections, it will be awesome.

He was on Seth Meyers a few weeks ago, which is the only time I’ve ever seen a comic book artist on a talk show.

https://youtu.be/c3URKNyGBsI