Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [General] > Audible

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
I've been an audible member for 4 years now. I wanted to see if others feel like I do where the sales and daily deals aren't as good as they once were. I don't think I've bought a book on either of these services in a year whereas I frequently did.

It's still worth being a member just to get better prices on whispersync titles but even the cost for that perk has gone up.

Maybe I've just been at this for too long and it's better for people who still have lots of titles to choose from.

message 2: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5048 comments I'm using audible as well for some years, but sadly audible.de has no such sales or daily deals there're only some free podcasts... You pay 9,95€ and get 1 audiobook per month...
I'm a bit envious hearing about deals and the credit-system other countries audible has.

message 3: by Lena (new)

Lena I’m on their two a month now. I feel that’s good value for whatever j can’t get from Scribd or the library. But you’re right about their daily deals. I use to buy near one week, and be tempted daily. Now I just glance at the book deal, erase the book deal. They’re most business, self help, contemporary fiction - when’s the last time you saw horror come up?

message 4: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new)

Timelord Iain | 18013 comments Mod
Agreed... we were talking about that in the book deals thread awhile ago... the last sale I noticed was 3 books for 2 credits instead of 2 for 1... even that is losing value...

Really, if you can afford it, the best membership is the yearly ones... I pay $230/year for 24 credits instead of $15/month for 1 credit or $22.50 for 2/month... I pay about $9.54/credit... I timed my switch to yearly around my birthday, so I can expect a slight influx of cash to compensate...

message 5: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 3364 comments I love my audible membership. Been using it for about two years now. They had a 2 for 1 sale about a month ago. Seems like their sales happen, they just don't last very long. And what goes on sale isn't always things I'm interested in.

I need to look into that yearly membership. I don't think I've listened to 24 audio books in one year yet but that could happen now that I have a commute to work again.

message 6: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments I never buy an Audible book at full price or become a member. Audible sales are useless for me as they are mostly for books I already read. Nevertheless, I still keep the notification subscription just in case.

message 7: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I don't have an audible membership. Occasionally I buy a discount book, but I don't think the membership would be very beneficial for me. I use overdrive through my library for my audio.

message 8: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new)

At the $9.54, it's pretty rare that I can get a book below credit cost, unless the book is a daily deal, or the Kindle version is on sale + cheap whispersync... I mostly spend credits when I can't find the book elsewhere... but you guys know how much I read... and once you start running low on credits, they start offering you "emergency credits" at $9.54 (28.50 for 3 credits, really) and then you can always just re-up your yearly subscription early...

message 9: by Miche (new)

Miche | 3178 comments Audible used to have great book of the day sales. Lately none of the books that came up at that sale were interesting.

The 2 for 1 sale that I checked had a really poor selection of books for the genres I am interested at.

message 10: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new)

Miche wrote: "Audible used to have great book of the day sales. Lately none of the books that came up at that sale were interesting.

The 2 for 1 sale that I checked had a really poor selection of books for the ..."

You knew Deals of the Day weren't as good, when they stopped advertising them on the front page of the website... I had to bookmark www.audible.com/DailyDeal just to find them anymore, since I don't check the email alerts...

message 11: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Glad it isn't just me. I agree Miche the last few 2 for 1's have had crap to choose from.

message 12: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (last edited Jun 17, 2018 08:08AM) (new)

I haven't even looked in awhile, but the last few times I did, the selection was small, and the deals were weaker... I just noticed this sale and saw Redshirts again... I got that from a sale back in October... that just further shows how limited their sales are... there have to be a million books on there, and only 300 or less appear in any given sale, and they're reusing titles...

message 13: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7557 comments Mod
I agree, it used to be there were a good 5-10 appealing titles per sale (including ones I'd already read). Nowadays we're lucky if there's one good one.

I think those promos are driven by publishers willing to cut deals and more and more self published peeps are getting their books in the mix (ergo, no room for the good stuff).

It's a shame. When they have good titles, I buy all the things.

message 14: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2150 comments I just bought Redshirts and Seveneves because they work for challenges I’m doing but there was nothing exciting in the sale.