Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Beta Reader Available

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jobie (last edited Aug 11, 2018 09:22AM) (new)

Jobie | 10 comments Good Morning Writers

About Me
I'm doing my best to retire from my day job next year (I'll be 50!). My cunning plan is to set up a copy editing business - so I can work from anywhere.

About You
I'm offering a free beta reading service in return for a review for my business once I start out.

I'm interested in:-

Paranormal Romance
Romance
MM Romance
Urban Fantasy
YA

What I Do
To ensure timely turn around I can only commit to one book per month. I'm also happy to do some deeper editing if you're interested.

Happy Writing!

Jobie

message 2: by Goodness (new)

Goodness Nwankpa (goodnessnwankpa) | 43 comments Hi Jobie!

I have a New Adult paranormal romance that I would love your feedback on. It's currently 11k words and I am looking for feedback on world building, character development, plot and pace, and if it holds the reader's attention.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Goodness

message 3: by Jobie (new)

Jobie | 10 comments Hi Goodness

That sounds doable. My email is jobimia@aol.com. If you send it over I’ll make a start. If you send as a word doc I can comment via track changes.

Jobie

message 4: by Fran (new)

Fran Basualdo Quezada | 3 comments Hi Jobie!

A few months ago I finished my very first novel (yay!) and I'm looking for someone to read it and get feedback. It's a long though, about 140k words. If you have the time and can look it over I'll be the happiest writer alive.

Thank you for your time,

Fran

message 5: by Soluuna (new)

Soluuna Hey, are you interested in reading a poetry collection?

message 6: by D.C. (new)

D.C. Burton (dc_burton) | 6 comments Hi Jobie,

I have a short fiction piece about 2.5k words title, "Beer is Food" that can be best excerpted as,

"What would you do if you knew today is the day you'd be murdered?"

As a warning, there is violence and swearing in that piece.

I also am 4 chapters (about ~10k words) into a Greek mythological fiction novella surrounding the apocalyptic end to the 6th age of mankind. This is a framed story with each chapter playing as a short story from a different gods POV.

If you are interested in either I'd be happy to send them over!

message 7: by Jobie (new)

Jobie | 10 comments Hi
I'd be happy to read either of them. I probably won't get to them for a week or so.
Just send to jobimia@aol.com.
Jobie x

message 8: by Jobie (new)

Jobie | 10 comments Hi Camilla - I don't read much poetry. I did study one poetry module at University. If you would like me to take a look I'd be happy to.

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 80 comments Hello Jobie,
I have a short horror/dark fantasy story that's about 3,130 words that I would love feedback on. I'd like to know stuff like if you think it works as a horror or dark fantasy, if it kept you interested, if it bored you, how the pacing was, what you thought of the writing style and word flow and if you have any questions about anything you didn't get. Also feel free to point out any plot holes or errors in logic and things like that.

If you're interested let me know :)

message 10: by Jobie (new)

Jobie | 10 comments Amanda wrote: "Hello Jobie,
I have a short horror/dark fantasy story that's about 3,130 words that I would love feedback on. I'd like to know stuff like if you think it works as a horror or dark fantasy, if it ke..."

I’d be happy to have a look. X

message 11: by F.T. (new)

F.T. Zahra | 14 comments Hi, Jobie. I was wondering if you were interested in being a beta reader for my novel, The Ludicrous Notion of Revenge. It is a ~100K YA mystery/romance about sixteen-year-old Heather Falls, who watched an assassin (helped by her uncle) murder her father when she was only thirteen years old. She's been chasing vengeance ever since. 

Three years of frustration and dead ends comes to an end when she swallows her pride and asks her academic rival, Aaron Parker, a seemingly upbeat guy with his own dark past, for help. Suddenly, Heather finds herself unravelling secrets about her family, sinking in a hole of hurt and anger, questioning everything she had once deemed concrete. 

It's story that follows grief, rage, vengeance, passion, love, and, ultimately, forgiveness. Heather becomes so desperate to find the assassin that took away a beloved family member that she forgets she still has a family to turn to. Through her pain, she eventually learns that some grudges simply aren’t worth holding onto and through his fear, Aaron learns the difference between what is right and what is moral. 

I'd be eternally grateful if you could. Thank you for time and consideration. 

message 12: by Jobie (new)

Jobie | 10 comments F.T. wrote: "Hi, Jobie. I was wondering if you were interested in being a beta reader for my novel, The Ludicrous Notion of Revenge. It is a ~100K YA mystery/romance about sixteen-year-old Heather Falls, who wa..."

Hi FT
Your book sounds really interesting. I have two books for August - which is my limit - but I’d be happy to read it in September if that’s within your timescales.

Best wishes.

Jobie

message 13: by F.T. (new)

F.T. Zahra | 14 comments Jobie wrote: "F.T. wrote: "Hi, Jobie. I was wondering if you were interested in being a beta reader for my novel, The Ludicrous Notion of Revenge. It is a ~100K YA mystery/romance about sixteen-year-old Heather ..."

That works for me! ^-^
Would you like to PM or email to discuss details?

message 14: by Jobie (new)

Jobie | 10 comments F.T. wrote: "Jobie wrote: "F.T. wrote: "Hi, Jobie. I was wondering if you were interested in being a beta reader for my novel, The Ludicrous Notion of Revenge. It is a ~100K YA mystery/romance about sixteen-yea..."

Email is great - jobimia@aol.com

message 15: by Eunice (new)

Eunice Nascimento | 5 comments Hello Jobie
My debut novel, a 72K contemporary romance needs beta reading. Here's the blurb:

At 28, Libby Thompson has achieved far beyond anything she dared hope for after her traumatic childhood. Ruthless self discipline, hard work and a life free of conflict have turned her into an elegant woman and outstanding teacher. She is not about to allow the pit falls of a relationship endanger the hard-won control she has over her life.

But then Libby meets Noah – the only man to challenge her defences and she is powerless to resist this hot, charming property developer. Even as she slowly starts to open her heart to Noah, her harrowing past comes back to haunt her. Libby is forced to choose between the safe, barren existence of her life before Noah and the rewarding but perilous path of trust and love…

Please let me know if you're interested. Many thanks,
Eunice

message 16: by Brian (new)

Brian Christopher (brianchristopher) | 29 comments Since you are from London, maybe you would be interested in a fast paced thriller set in London!

A classic mystery/thriller? "The Puzzlemaker"

After 10 years service as a cryptographer with MI6 during the cold war, the extremely shy and reclusive George Withers becomes editor and compiler of the Sunday Times crossword.
30 years later and now in his 60's, an old MI6 colleague asks him to place a code within the Sunday Times cryptic crossword puzzle. Unknown to him, this results in a number of gruesome deaths. The father of one of the victims discovers the puzzle maker had something to do with his son's death, and goes on the hunt. Now George has to solve his own puzzle to save his own life.

It can be picked up here:http://www.brianchristophernovels.com...