YA LGBT Books discussion

Pride Reads - name fav YA LGBTQ > 28 - which YA book do you think delivers a good message about sex for YA LGBTQ teens?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16801 comments 28 - which YA book do you think delivers a good message about sex for YA LGBTQ teens?

message 2: by Rez (new)

Rez Delnava (rez_delnava) Most of the titles that I can think of with good representations of sex all fall into the New Adult genre.

The only good YA one that I can think of right now is Martin Wilson's What They Always Tell Us.

message 3: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16801 comments I think there can be a good message about sex and relationships (and things like condom use) without being explicit.

Just Between Us is YA with a pretty realistic look at HIV.

I liked Vivaldi in the Dark in which the teen guys clearly have a sexual relationship, but it is a part of a bigger picture, especially with regards to Darren's depression.

message 4: by Rez (new)

Rez Delnava (rez_delnava) Part of the issue for me is that I don't really care about sex in YA novels; I read YA for the coming of age stories filled with emotion, so even if they contain sex, I won't remember it because that wasn't my focus.