YA LGBT Books discussion

Pride Reads - name fav YA LGBTQ > 27 - what book gave you "the feels"?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16811 comments 27 - what book gave you "the feels"?

message 2: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16811 comments Suki Fleet's This Is Not a Love Story - angsty story. (Temporarily not available because she is rereleasing hers as indie books this summer.)

message 3: by Iamshadow (new)

Iamshadow | 334 comments We Are Okay, big time. Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda, definitely.Autoboyography nearly broke me, but in a good way, if that makes sense.

message 4: by Rez (new)

Rez Delnava (rez_delnava) Peter Monn's Before Then And After Now absolutely broke me. I remember very little of the plot, I only remember how it made me feel so emotionally raw.

Another one is Sáenz' The Inexplicable Logic of My Life. I already had open wounds from my grandma passing, so reading it was like pouring lemon juice in them.

message 5: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Let's Talk about Love by Claire Kann.

message 6: by Reini (new)

Reini I haven't read a lot of wlw books yet, but I definitely felt stuff with girls of paper and fire :) The tension and the build-up (・o・)

message 8: by Pablito (new)

Pablito (pablito2772) | 10 comments I read Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe every year. It never gets old. But if it's feels you want, you need to read the incredible Picture Us in the Light. If you're not convinced, check out my review of it under the title. Happy reading!

message 9: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16811 comments Pablito wrote: "I read Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe every year. It never gets old. But if it's feels you want, you need to read the incredible book:Picture Us in the Light .."

That was a new one to me, added to my TBRs

message 10: by Mere (new)

Mere Rain | 65 comments We Are the Ants gave me many feels, most of them sad and angry. Shaun Hutchinson indicated the mc was moderately autobiographical, so I've been scared to read his actually-memoirish thing.

message 11: by Kaje (last edited Aug 02, 2021 02:33PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16811 comments Mere wrote: "We Are the Ants gave me many feels, most of them sad and angry. Shaun Hutchinson indicated the mc was moderately autobiographical, so I've been scared to read his a..."

I've read Brave Face - there was a lot of honest truth in it, and he wasn't easy on himself. There's also a fair bit about his battles with depression, and I felt like it was a little skimpy on the "it gets better" part which was suggested by the final chapters, but to me didn't have enough depth of good feels to really balance the darkness. So if the fiction wrecked you, then the memoir might too.

message 12: by Jay (new)

Jay | 136 comments Hutchinson really has a talent for that. I've read Ants but the one that really wrecked me was The Five Stages of Andrew Brawley . I have a couple more of his books on my TBR, but I know I'll have to be the right mood to read them. Although, his latest titles seem (at least from the blurbs) to be more upbeat stories so maybe he worked through most of his dark stuff in his earlier novels and the memoir and has moved on.

message 13: by Andreas (new)

Andreas | 31 comments Jay wrote: "Hutchinson really has a talent for that. I've read Ants but the one that really wrecked me was The Five Stages of Andrew Brawley. I have a couple more of his books on my TBR, but I ..."

His two most recent books are indeed more on the bright side. I personally didn't like The State of Us but A Complicated Love Story Set in Space is absolutely fantastic and I can only recommend it.

message 14: by Roxy (new)

Roxy | 5 comments Red white and royal blue and also after love

message 15: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16811 comments Roxy wrote: "Red white and royal blue and also after love"

Red, White & Royal Blue was really sweet - not bad at all for being one of the books that will bring in first time readers.