Play Book Tag discussion

White Nights (Shetland Island, #2)
This topic is about White Nights
Archive: Other Books > White Nights by Ann Cleeves - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by annapi (last edited Jun 16, 2018 10:59PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

annapi | 5159 comments Artist Bella Sinclair has an art exhibition at her home, and a mysterious stranger shows up who starts sobbing dramatically. DI Jimmy Perez takes him in hand, but the man cannot explain himself, and says he can't remember who he is or why he is there. Perez leaves him for only a few minutes, but when he returns the stranger has disappeared. The next day his body is found hanging from the rafters of a nearby barn. The autopsy confirms Jimmy's suspicion of murder, which is reinforced when a few days later Bella's nephew is also found dead.

I was not as impressed with this second book in the series. While overall the mystery was a good one, the plot pacing was really slow, and the ending anticlimactic. I am not a fan of Taylor, the inspector from Inverness, who again is called in to head the investigation, and I'm hoping his change of career at the end of this book signals the end of his participation in this series. But I'm still going to read on as I like the other characters, and book 3 was the basis for the TV series Shetland's first two episodes.

LibraryCin | 9071 comments I may be reading this one next month. Thanks for the review and the "heads up" regarding the slow pace!