Sleeping Beauties Sleeping Beauties discussion

Sleeping Beauties Sent Me To Sleep!

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alan (new)

Alan Toner I was VERY disappointed with Sleeping Beauties. For one thing,, it was stuffed with far too many characters. For another, the storyline was dull and far fetched. In fact, I got so bored with it that I put it down after just a few chapters.

Debbie Leaming It was horrible. I TRIED. I would read, it was awful, I would set it down. Then I would think I ought to try that again, and I would read another chapter. Finally I decided life is to short to force myself to read a bad novel. I won't pick it back up again.

message 3: by Amber (last edited Jul 03, 2018 06:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amber I actually really enjoyed this one! But I can see where you may be coming from, it is a very long book and has a lot of characters. I actually got this book in an audiobook format and I think that really helped me. I get intimidated by big books, and I like quick action (hence I usually pick up YA books).

However, I was able to just listen to this one on the go and the voice actor is great, her voices helped give that extra personality that set the characters apart. Towards the middle and straight to the end it was really good! My younger sister sat in to listen, even though she hadn't heard the rest of the story because it got really juicy. Very much like the Stand with a creepy atmosphere.

Sarina I was really disappointed by this book... I read it until the very end because I was expecting something awesome or unconventional or surprising to happen - but it didn't. I'm sorry to say, but it was a waste of money...

Rachel Rowland 70% of the book's story made no sense. Clint should have let Frank into the prison the first time around, he would have had his wow-moment, done. Clint had no reason not to let Frank in and Frank only wanted to talk to the woman. No blood shed, no corpses crushed or guts hanging out. Oh right, but it wouldn't be King if there weren't someone's guts hanging out.

Also, if all women went to sleep the world would NOT melt down this quickly. People would wait and see for several days, not just several hours. And ALSO: only a man could write a book in which women get to start life over without men and then collectively choose not to take that chance. I am sure a lot would choose to come back but not all of them, collectively. No way. No chance, ESPECIALLY not the prisoners.

Really disappointed and bored and annoyed :)

message 6: by Holli (new)

Holli Smith Should I keep trying to read this book? I am only a few chapters in and already I am bored and confused about what is going on.

Elisabeth Holli wrote: "Should I keep trying to read this book? I am only a few chapters in and already I am bored and confused about what is going on."
It doesn't get any better. :-(

Patrick Cooke This book was horrible. I love King and have read almost everything he has put out (I even finished Buick 8), but this has got to be his worst. It was far to long and had way to many characters. I was also REALLY disappointed with the ending. I like to think that in most of Kings books, the endings are like speeding down the highway and then suddenly swerving off the side of the road and off a cliff. I think In this book, I was driving the speed limit and then casually took the next exit, where I found a quaint little motel and took a nice long nap. Boorrring. Anyway. I’m about the start the Outsider, so hopefully it will be better. I still have faith in you, Mr. King!

Jess I really enjoyed this book, but I don't consider it a book by Stephen King, instead it is technically a book written by King and his son, however, I believe this more likely the work of his son. I was not expecting to read a fantasy, but it was a pretty interesting concept. I also enjoyed the multiple perspectives and felt like it flowed despite the large cast of characters.

Sarina I do agree with Jessica! I really liked the concept as well, that's why I bought the book instead of waiting until my library bought it.
But I found the realisation of that concept should have been a lot better. :(

meandermind Rachel wrote: 70% of the book's story made no sense. Clint should have let Frank into the prison the first time around, he would have had his wow-moment, done. Clint had no reason not to let Frank in and Frank only wanted to talk to the woman...

I understand it as Clint being just yet another headstrong, stubborn man who can't really change his mind after deciding something, in this case "Evie needs protection". That's why he didn't let them in. Also why would he? He's the Defender and White Knight, Savior etc. in his own mind. I mean, I get what you're saying, but I don't think it was poorly written - just an annoying dude.

I was more annoyed with the fact that Lila and Clint don't talk to eachother about the presumed daughter. That, to me, seems more unrealistic than people turning into cocoons! :)

message 12: by Alan (new)

Alan Toner Good points.