Play Book Tag discussion

Jerusalem, Drawn and Quartered: One Woman’s Year in the Heart of the Christian, Muslim, Armenian, and Jewish Quarters of Old Jerusalem
This topic is about Jerusalem, Drawn and Quartered
Archive: Other Books > Jerusalem, Drawn and Quartered: One Women's Year in the Heart of the Christian, Muslim, Armenian, and Jewish Quarters - Sarah Tuttle Singer - 3 Stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I have followed this author for some time with her blogs in The Times of Israel newspaper. While I often do not agree with her political opinions or even just her thoughts and ideals I do love her writing. When I read her words its as if my five senses come alive and that is something not all writers can do for me.
This being said I can't say I love this book. I honestly thought it would be far more storytelling on the four quarters of Jerusalem, when it was more of her own life. Much of what I read I have actually read in her blogs and would have moments of "haven't I read this before?" It was as though much of her blog were copied and put into this book.
Having been born and lived there for awhile, Jerusalem is not an easy city to write about and there are many who have passionate thoughts of this wonderful city, including myself. I won't get into my thoughts on her writing of this but I will say it was far too simplistic and not all sides were conveyed.
But this is not why I gave this a three star rating. I honestly was only disappointed in what I thought the book would be and what it really was. I wanted more of Jerusalem, all four quarters of it. I wanted all my sense engaged in all four corners and I feel that this book did not do that.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9368 comments I didn’t know that you had lived in Jerusalem! Sometimes it’s hard when an author you followed in their media this repetitive in their book. I have had that experience as well.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy wrote: "I didn’t know that you had lived in Jerusalem! Sometimes it’s hard when an author you followed in their media this repetitive in their book. I have had that experience as well."

I was born and lived on Kibbutz Na'an. But would live in Jerusalem for extended periods of time when my mother's work was so busy. It was much simpler. My husband's parents when they got older lived in Jerusalem. I love that city. I love everything about it and I love all 4 quarters. Each quarter has its own distinctness to it that truly awakens all five of my senses. And what I love is how you can get the identical food but in each quarter it will have its own flare of flavor. Now that is a pretty basic thing that I love but just one of the many things I love. It is a complicated city with so much history and of course so much connection for many.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9368 comments There’s something about Israel, specifically Jerusalem, that you can just call it up right through everyone of your senses immediately. Even though it lives in us forever, I can’t wait to get back there again. Sounds like our Diane is going soon. I actually also feel that way about Jaffa/Yafo, and various other points in Israel. Masada, Ein Gedi. Tsvat. My 15 year old is going next summer with his camp friends. I have to find a way to get back there with our family. Remind us where you are living now, Rachel. Somewhere in the middle of the US I think.

Losing precious reading and family time at the moment, trying to help my middle son write thank you notes. Working on basic literacy skills. God help me. Everyone have a great day. Blessings and love to all...

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm living in Flagstaff, AZ now. My youngest son is entering Northern Arizona University in the fall and it is right here. My other son is a Junior now. We love the mountains and the four seasons so we are thrilled to be here. My four kids actually live together, and are loving it. My best friend is here so that is a plus for me. I'm enjoying the rain, the weather and the sense of a smaller town. Did I mention all the forests and hiking?
Have fun with the thank you notes.:)

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9368 comments Another place to visit.