SciFi and Fantasy eBook Club discussion

The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next, #1)
This topic is about The Eyre Affair
August Book Discussions > The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde - August 2014

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I've seen some good things written about this book but I just can never seem to work up any excitement over Fforde. I'm bowing out of this particular read this month but I'm very interested in what you all have to say about the book ....

Maggie K I found it a popcorn type read, but very creatively funny!

The idea of literary detectives protecting the classics just makes me happy.....lol

Donna (donnahr) This is a favorite series of mine and I've read all but the most recent book (#7). It does seem to be a hate-it or love-it series, but I've always loved the zaniness of the Book World and all the funny puns and literary references. I'm working my way through the series for a second time now as audiobooks.

Brenda Clough (brendaclough) | 147 comments The series itself seems to wind tighter and tighter into backstory and twists as you go on. But the first book THE EYRE AFFAIR, is a classic, a tour-de-force.

Alycia (alyciac) | 4 comments Loved this book. The whole series is great, but I definitely have a soft spot for this one.

message 6: by L. (new) - rated it 5 stars

L. Gibbs (ldgibbs) The Eyre Affair turned me into a Fforde junke. I had another fun use for all that literature I've read.

message 7: by Maggie (last edited Aug 12, 2014 06:33AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maggie K L. wrote: "The Eyre Affair turned me into a Fforde junke. I had another fun use for all that literature I've read."

It's like a series just meant for lit majors,!
lolol--I have the second one ordered!

Snarktastic Sonja (snownsew) | 28 comments I know it may be sacrilege here, but I actually listened to this one. Even though the reader did a great job with it, I kept getting confused and re-listening to the beginning. Ultimately, I felt like there were too many literature references and not enough actual plot . . .

It is interesting to see that others have loved the series so much - I may need to re-visit.

message 9: by L. (new) - rated it 5 stars

L. Gibbs (ldgibbs) Maggie wrote: "L. wrote: "The Eyre Affair turned me into a Fforde junke. I had another fun use for all that literature I've read."

It's like a series just meant for lit majors,!
lolol--I have the second one orde..."

You're going to enjoy it. I loved the series.

Angélique (MapleBooks) (maplebooks) It took me a while to get into it but I ended up totally hooked! I will read the second book for sure.
I love the world of the Eyre Affair. It somewhat reminds me of Douglas Adam, but more focused on a plot and a strong background in literature. (I guess I missed more than half the literature references!) For some reason, her family reminded me of the Dursley in Harry Potter (had they been good people).

By the way, do someone know why Wales are often made fun of in British works? In the Eyre Affair, they form a chaotic independent society. I remember, Doctor Who also make fun of Wales (you feel like he thinks they are retards) and I know I saw other occurrences. Any insight?

message 11: by Suzi (new) - added it

Suzi | 23 comments I am about 90% through the book, so hoping to finish in the next day or two. I am going to have to first admit that I have never read Jane Eyre, so I only vaguely know the story and thus have probably missed a lot of the cleverness built into this book.
I do, however, enjoy books that reference other books, and they usually make me want to read the other books. Not sure I have been convinced to read Jane Eyre yet, or to continue to read this series by Fforde.
It is a clever and interesting read, but not hooking me into more.

Andreea Pausan | 19 comments It was one of the most amazing books ever. And filled with literary puns and undercurrents and word-games. All from an unexpected perspective. I am looking forward to the next book

message 13: by Suzi (new) - added it

Suzi | 23 comments Okay. I am done. It is a very creative and interesting story. Still not hooked to read more in the series at this point.

Brenda Clough (brendaclough) | 147 comments Frankly this book is the best of the series. So you can rest on your laurels, and not go on.

message 15: by Suzi (new) - added it

Suzi | 23 comments Thanks Brenda. Good to know. Now I don't have to feel conflicted about not trying the next one. :)

Angélique (MapleBooks) (maplebooks) My beloved read the next one and preferred it over the first book. Apparently there are a few more interesting concepts, especially about time, and the narrative is tighter.
I think I will read the second book. I might try to read Jane Eyre too at some point! :)