Historical Fictionistas discussion

Recommendations? > Buddhist Inspired Historical Fiction

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Singh (new)

Singh | 1 comments Hey Everyone! I'm currently in search of a new book to read. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good historical fiction novel influenced by Buddhism or Buddhist culture. Thanks!

message 2: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) Singh, there are 700 books for you to peruse at this list:

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2...

I'm not sure if Siddhartha would be called historical fiction but it's pretty close.

message 3: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 697 comments What an interesting category! I hope the group will come through with suggestions because I would like to read in this area as well. I read a good novel by Joanne Dobson, I believe titled The Kashmiri Shawl, that is set in both India and New York in the mid-nineteenth century, but I don’t recall a strong Buddhist element.

message 4: by Betsy (last edited Jun 18, 2018 02:30PM) (new)

Betsy (linwearcamenel) | 28 comments I'm not sure how easy either of these would be to find as one's a bit old and I think out of print and I haven't been able to find a copy of the second but there's these:

Lady of the Lotus, about the Buddha's wife

and

Night Boat about the 18th century Zen teacher Hakuin.

Elizabeth ♛Smart Girls Love Trashy Books♛  (pinkhairedwannabe) | 46 comments This is literally something I was looking for!

message 6: by Frances (new)

Frances | 1 comments You should try out The Splendour of Asia and the Kosambi Intrigue; A Tale in the Time of Buddha.